Notices

Dreams about drinking....why?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams about drinking....why?

I am 83 days without a drip of booze and don't even think about it anymore. However, probably once or twice a week I wake up having a battle in my sleep because I drank again. The scenario is usually different, at a bar, BBQ or whatever and I say "screw it" and get plastered, then I think about what I threw away doing that and feel terrible.

I've probably had 15 dreams like this and wake up thinking I really did it.

Anyone else have this? If it wasn't for the dreams I wouldn't be thinking about alcohol at all. I am immersed in new things since I've entered this new chapter and although the dreams aren't a big deal, I am just wondering if others are having them too?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was normal for me, I don’t have nearly as much as I used to but when I did they sure seemed real, I was glad they were just dreams.

The craziest I’ve had was when I was in the rain looking for booze in wet card board boxes getting really muddy.

I think you can dream about anything if you quit all of a sudden, like an amputee feeling his fingers that aren’t there anymore.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we dream about the things that have been a big part of our lives - I had school dreams for years afterward

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm nowhere near you in terms of sobriety MustStop but I had this when I last gave up smoking. Apparently these using dreams start when your conscious mind stops thinking about something and your unconscious starts to process it. It doesn't mean you want to drink. Congrats on 83 days
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I think it will be hard to find a recovering alcoholic that doesn't have drinking dreams during the first few months. We dream about things from our past and unfortunately drinking was a big part of our life. Don't worry, those dreams will fade.

Congrats on the 83 days!

Edit @Dee, lol great minds think alike
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I still have them....maybe 6 times a year...and I've been sober a long time.
Now I find them amuseing just as I do with other outrageous dreams.

Well done on your sober progress...keep moving forward...
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I like the ones where I get a weed buzz, love those "freebies!"

I don't get to drink in my dreams, but the booze is there, usually someone holding on to the bottle as I walk along with them or fly with them or whatever. My crazier dreams are when my D is there (he's been gone 4 years now; renal failure and multiple organ failure) and the dreams are so vivid and then I realize I had gotten rid of all of his stuff, but he's still around and looking for everything--what a mess! I prefer the ones where we are just sitting and talking and I get to hug him again! Those are really nice.

Every time I read about crazy dreams, then I have one......oh no!

Dreams are just our minds integrating what we've lived or seen or read or encountered or thought or...who knows!?! They're just dreams.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They go away over the years.Funny how we never had them when we were drinking?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do! Also when I'm trying to be super healthy I dream of eating a table full of junk! So weird, and yes I wake up thinking I've done it for a split second!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had them on my second attempt to stay sober, around day 30 or so. I'd have a dream of drinking wake up and for a few brief minutes, have the same self loathing and shame that I'd used to get get. Sadly, it wasn't enough to keep me dry!
This time round, am at day 57. I had a dream a week ago where I was talking to lots of people who were asking me about stuff I'd done the night before and i had no recollection. In the dream, I'd 'realised' I had a black out from drinking the night before!
Pretty screwed up eh? Dreaming about having a blackout without actually drinking!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never have drunk dreams. In fact, I don't dream at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

I had them several times a week early in my sobriety, and they totally freaked me out.....was so relieved when I woke up. These days I only have them occasionally, and I also find them amusing.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im in my second week of sobriety and I too get them. The last time I went a month, I was still having them but they were less frequent as the weeks went on. I also feel your pain with the guilt factor. They sometimes feel so real you feel like you literally have fallen of the wagon for a split second.

It can be pretty horrible and I hope it gets better for you!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
So it goes

It's common after overindulging with drink. I get dreams about being ravished by Kylie Minogue as well , unfortunately have not even under indulged with her.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustStop View Post
I am 83 days without a drip of booze and don't even think about it anymore. However, probably once or twice a week I wake up having a battle in my sleep because I drank again. The scenario is usually different, at a bar, BBQ or whatever and I say "screw it" and get plastered, then I think about what I threw away doing that and feel terrible.

I've probably had 15 dreams like this and wake up thinking I really did it.

Anyone else have this? If it wasn't for the dreams I wouldn't be thinking about alcohol at all. I am immersed in new things since I've entered this new chapter and although the dreams aren't a big deal, I am just wondering if others are having them too?
Find a psychiatrist trained in Freudian analysis. They'll be able to analyze the dream and tell you what it means.