Notices

Counting the days?

Old 12-26-2003, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting the days?

Hello all,

I've been thinking about the one day at a time concept. I agree that to think of "never again" is an unfathomable task at this point, and to get through each day - hour by hour - is a way to handle it. However, I've decided that I'm not going to try to count my sober days, each day. I'm an impatient person, and when I see those numbers climbing slowly, I get frustrated. So, I think I'm going to try and think about it in terms of the last time I drank. That's it. Then, maybe once a week or so I can actually figure out how many days it has been. Kind of like what nutritionists say about dieting - "don't get on the scale every day, you'll get too frustrated. Only weigh yourself once a week."

Any thoughts?

Jay
Old 12-26-2003, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If that works better for you it sounds like a great idea

phoenix
Old 12-26-2003, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Jay,

Personally I've found the whole day at a time concept as actually quite harmful to me - it makes me dwell too much on the past. If I count and come here and say, "I've not been drinking for 29.5 days!". Well I could keep a running tally or calculate from a certain date, but even the energy to do that seems unworthwhile to me. I'm happy with the vague idea, 'Oh, I stopped sometime in November 2003', as later I tell my Grandkids about the dangers of drinking, lol.

I can really understand how it can help ppl, and mind the time that mode of thinking would of greatly benefited me. But now I've got to the stage where I can accept the fact I won't drink ever again - I'm not afraid of that anymore. That a whole new lifestyle is needed, and desired. So in accepting that personally, it almost seems ludicrous to count each day, as if it's some measure of my worth.

Please bear in mind I feel unique in feeling this way. By all means please ppl, take it one day, one hour if need be, one minute etc. It's a nasty disease, made so fearsome because you're doing battle with yourself. But mind that you get to choose the weapon.

Having said all that, perhaps I'm guilty of a pipe dream, where when I'm 80 I'll allow myself a snifter of fine spirits and a fine cigar from time to time, as I look back on my sober achievements. But that's a whole lifetime away, lol.

Mark
Old 12-26-2003, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Whatever works for you Jay. I found after my first couple of months I quit counting the day's and took it one day at a time, in the begining it's great to see the progress we make but if it's making you uncomfortable just take it one day at a time, after all that's all really have.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

I'm with you on this one Jay, after the first couple of weeks I stopped counting - I just don't find it useful. What is nice though, is when if someone asks "how long?" and then I add up, the days seem to have flown by into weeks.
Smashing.