Notices

Payday

Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Payday

payday today for me! and its great weather here. the temptation to go and sit in a beer garden is far too real.

i have been off the drink now for only a week or so but feel with money burning a hole in my pocket i could do the usual 70/80pound friday.

HOWEVER for the first time in a long while i feel it would be a waste and that i want to spend the money on something a little nicer, for example a new phone or a presant for the mrs.

so just thought i would open a little thread to help if anyone elses money is tempting them and see what nice things apart from drink they may be saving for!

p.s i am usually a one week millionaire after pay day and skint for the next 3 of the month!haha.

hope all is well
adm
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I am not a one week millionaire but at the same time i am looking forward to the extra money I am going to save without my biggest living expense. Alcohol, food, and tabacco in that order are my bigest expenses one I can't do without, one I am now free of, the other well maybe give it a while but eventually that will be gone too. I might be able to buy myself that plot of land I want by the time I am fourty
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
I am not a one week millionaire but at the same time i am looking forward to the extra money I am going to save without my biggest living expense. Alcohol, food, and tabacco in that order are my bigest expenses one I can't do without, one I am now free of, the other well maybe give it a while but eventually that will be gone too. I might be able to buy myself that plot of land I want by the time I am fourty
haha hopefully get that piggy bank full.

i hope u didnt think i meant millionaire literally, far from it to be exact.haha.

i have always fancied a nice plot of land, but living in a city i guess it rules it out.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sixteen months or so now sober and the money saved has been a delight. We can help our eldest daughter furnish her first flat and have contributed to our middle daughter's car and the youngest has had a few treats. I am surprised (I know that I should not be) at the amount of money that went on wine - at least £200 a month. Shocking!!!

But more than the money is the time, time to do things with my husband and my three daughters and my friends. Time to help a dear friend in difficulty. Money saved is a great bonus but the time given to me is by far the greatest gift.

"adifferent man" - the drinking culture surrounding a bank holiday in the UK is one to watch. My first one - went to the beach and had a very long walk with the family.

Good luck with the saving!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hello Franie,

you hit the nail on the head.

in the short time i have been off the drink, instead of a vicious circle its a productive circle.

money in pocket (even if just a tenner) ---more time to spend---little treats ---and then back to money again.

in one way it feels better to give to others than wandering into a pub or supermarket just for drink.

yeah dreading the bank holiday a little to be honnest, i think i am going to put a little bit of overtime in work, keep myself busy!

hope all is well and well done for the sixteen month!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I would never worry about the rest of the month as long as I got good and pissed the first week. But then I would be eating plain rice and stale bread for 2 weeks, cursing myself for not at least buying some bloody meat before I drank all my cash away haha.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great on the week keep going and see how much after a month! It's shocking.
Fantastic question too.
Why don't you treat Mrs Adifferentman! Shock her buy some flowers or say you'll go to the shops with her then treat her.
Well your doing the right thing you'll know what to do.
Oh I treated her to a new side by side shotgun!!!
Oh and flowers big ones.
John.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I am coming up for a year in six weeks or so. I know I should not count my chickens.................and I have to see how paying my back taxes goes (find out in a few weeks)..........I am planning to buy a decent guitar
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So it goes

Being sober has given me more money certainly, we have had a few weekends away and extra trips to the theatre
It is a revelation that I dont need 3 glasses of wine before I watch a play
I dont know why I drank there anyway, I love theatre!!!
daft alcoholic brain
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am glad to see everyone who has stopped drinking is a little better off (or atleast spending it on something productive.)haha.

i went for a walk around town today and passing the pubs i just thought of this forum and treated my self to a fresh chicken sarne, a custard slice and a bottle of oj. simpl and cheap but i usually would have been clasing that as 1 1/2 pints of beer money!

Last edited by adifferentman; 03-30-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Since I quit drinking 6 months ago I don't really feel that much richer, but I realized that I'm actually spending a lot of my own $$ on my upcoming wedding. I'm guessing that wouldn't have been possible if I were still wasting so much cash on booze every other day.