Notices

Lost another job due to my past...

Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Lost another job due to my past...

My alcoholism did a lot of damage to my record and reputation. I drank myself into personal bankruptcy and got a DUI conviction. I just lost my 4th job offer since this happened due to the fact I cannot clear a background check. I feel like my past will always follow me around and I'm afraid that I will never get my career back on track. I am educated and have great work experience but i can't get a job in my field...or anything related.

Anyone have experience as far as rebuilding your career after it imploded from addiction? My field was finance but no one talks about their jobs or specifics in AA. (I have tried to talk to fellow AA attendees who say they are in my field, but people need to protect the anonymous part)
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Sometimes we have to rebuild from the ground up. I'm back into education, but I am subbing as an aide. I have more experience than the people I work with, but to look on the bright side, my foot is in the door.

I worked other jobs in the last 6 years, 5 years prior to that I wasn't working. The gaps in my resume didn't help.

As for your situation, if you are working the program, the steps, praying and meditating, your higher power will put you where you are needed. I know, it sounds different, but it seems to be working for me and many others. Maybe you need to rethink the direction you can go to now.

A friend of mine had several DUI's and even killed another person. He is working now, not sure what the specifics are. Work your program and look at the gratitude side of things. Your job is out there, waiting.

Be hopeful! Hugs,
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi JB, Maybe you can give Pardons Canada a call Pardons Canada - About Us
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Jitterbugg))) - I totally feel where you're at. Though alcohol wasn't my "thing" (drugs were), I lost my nursing career. I'm coming near the end of another associate's degree in the healthcare field. I don't know what my background check will show...I know the "official rap sheet" shows a DUI decades ago, as well as a probation violation. Thing is, I was a first offender, so my "charge" doesn't show, just the violation.

I'm scared, I'm worried that 2+ years of education is going to be a waste. However, I've been in recovery for 5 years, and I just have to believe that everything is going to work out as it should. Quite honestly, I come here a lot with my fears. Nothing like a bunch of recovering a's to reassure me!

FWIW, I went from being an RN to working at McDonald's. I did my best, I do work as self-employment (doesn't pay very much) but I'm building up references as to the person I am NOW, not years ago.

Hang in there, sweetie...keep putting one foot in front of the other, and don't do anything to cause any MORE bad consequences. I get you...I totally do. There just HAS to be a time when we wear out the bad consequences by moving forward.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'm not familiar with Canadian securities law.......but I'm pretty familiar with US Security laws (I'm a financial planner myself).

While I didn't lose my license......I did lose a job of 15 years. Not so much as the result of my past.....but of my present (at the time). I was able to move to another firm but it didn't go smoothly. I've been there 3 years now and I'm considering leaving the industry......but that's another story.

When it gets down to it....my sobriety hinges on my relationship with a power greater than me. I don't know if that's your path or not. Anyway, I've been looking outside the financial planning industry because it seems it's time to move on. Perhaps the same is true for you........maybe it's time to be looking somewhere else.

I've been in the industry 18 years, have managed offices and have a principal's license.....and I've been through a lot dealing with FINRA, various Broker-Dealers, and so forth. If you'd like some specific info, feel free to shoot a PM to me.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
My alcoholism did a lot of damage to my record and reputation. I drank myself into personal bankruptcy and got a DUI conviction. I just lost my 4th job offer since this happened due to the fact I cannot clear a background check. I feel like my past will always follow me around and I'm afraid that I will never get my career back on track. I am educated and have great work experience but i can't get a job in my field...or anything related.

Anyone have experience as far as rebuilding your career after it imploded from addiction? My field was finance but no one talks about their jobs or specifics in AA. (I have tried to talk to fellow AA attendees who say they are in my field, but people need to protect the anonymous part)
Yes, I have cleared the background check in the US. I cannot speak for Canada.

In the US, background checks are only made on your past listed state to state residencies, 3 years for misdemeanors, 7 years for felonies. I learned that from a HR person.

Perhaps, check Canada's HR policies on legal infractions, most of those people want to help and will be honest with you. I hope that gives you some insight.

Pm me if you don't understand what i am saying. A lot of us have legal problems to work around and there are loopholes.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Same here Jitterbug, even though things have changed for me in a fantastic way, I was actually headed for a corporate america job so to speak. Even got to work in Manhattan for 2 weeks with a computer firm I worked for. Alcohol and drugs ruined it. If you can Jitterbug look into having your record expunged. It would only help. Don't give up, you can win.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Same here Jitterbug, even though things have changed for me in a fantastic way, I was actually headed for a corporate america job so to speak. Even got to work in Manhattan for 2 weeks with a computer firm I worked for. Alcohol and drugs ruined it. If you can Jitterbug look into having your record expunged. It would only help. Don't give up, you can win.
I cleared an FBI background check, with Citibank. In IT security. I had a felony DUI.

It can be done.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Daytrader probably knows more about your situation then we do. If you have a financial license, you might have to appeal to the licensing board to regain your license.

I have a few friends who had to do the same with the bar association.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post

Your AA works quite different from ours down here near Windsor. Our anonymity is at the level of press, radio and film.... I know the first/last names of pretty well everyone and we are always helping each other with problems.
I don't know anything about "background check" for financial services but I also don't know what you did to fail the check. It takes time for us to be trusted by society (as it should) but eventually things get back on track.

Good luck. This too shall pass and will be a valuable learning experience.

Bob R
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not much to add for I am in a similar boat. Seems when potential employers are checking my prior job, something uncouth is being said. I am about to lose my house, I have 7 children and due to MY past, I have screwed them all.
I do know drinking won't help.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat also--my 3rd (& final) DUI has lost my priveledge to drive (license) for 10 years! I live in the country & my job prospects are NIL. But I am following the path before me with Faith that it will lead me to where He wants me to be.
I found a job (not in my field) but it is a job. More will be revealed..hopefully..
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

The background checks I have gone through are very thorough. They call all employers of the past ten years and ask questions about performance and character (My past 6 years of employment won't yield any decent references). It's usually done by a third-party company that specializes in screening job applicants and employment is always conditional on passing a "crim-cred" check (criminal and credit check).

I guess the main issue is not so much my DUI, but that, coupled with a bankruptcy and past firings, I'm not an ideal person to represent a financial services firm. What brokerage would want someone managing clients' money when they couldn't manage their own personal finances. It would be like a priest who doesn't believe in God.

Thank you all for your input! I'm 35 now so I suppose that it's not too late to switch careers or redeem myself.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Jitterbug))) - I'm 50 and embarking on a new career (I hope..still in school), so keep up your great attitude. A lot of employers, here, run a credit check on prospective employees even when there's NOTHING financial about a job. I'm slowly trying to repair my credit score, but it's not easy when I make very little money.

Still, I've got faith that as long as we keep doing what we should, something will work out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let's join the Foreign Legion. Just kidding. Sounds brutal. We should all band together and set up a farm in New Zealand or somewhere. Only for ex drunks who can't find employment.