Notices

Panic attacks

Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

Hi,

I have been sober for 18 months. I have little one and a half year old girl. For the lest week I have been having major panic attacks and I can't seem to stop them. I have been to the doctor and they have me on medicine, but it will take a while for it to kick in. I feel like I am dying. My body is tense and won't calm down. My neck is tense and it shoots electrical feelings through my arms. I don't want to drink, and I won't, but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I used to have them before I stopped drinking and they were one of the main reasons that I stopped. I feel completely exhausted, zapped, scared and totally strung out.

Has anyone had this?

Oh it doesn't feel good. I know it is temporary, but I am freaking out. It has been a week and a half now of panic attacks.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Other than see a doctor (which I see you've done) I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe SAM-e or 5-HTP.
Not letting the anxiety take root in your mind first, then when you can safely test it - push the fear, test your limits with it. I know is much harder than it sounds, but maybe something is happening to trigger the anxiety and you're letting your mind perpetuate the issue.
Congrats on your sober time and I hope you get to feeling better.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh; that sounds like a total bummer Yeah...I have always had some pretty major anxiety and depression issues. I do find that since sobering up again I am hitting a pretty constant wall of anxiety, just feeling like I've got a guitar string strung from head to toe that is strung about as far as it will go and about to snap. Hopefully the meds your doctor has prescribed will start giving you some help soon but what a pain to have to wait until they kick in. You may feel like you're hanging on by your nails now but I bet it will get more manageable soon. I try to keep a list of things I know are good to do when I'm hitting a wall of anxiety from working out to writing to taking baths - some days I can do them all and some days are five bath days. If things don't improve for you soon or it's putting your sobriety at risk I wouldn't hesitate to call your doctor and be really adamant about finding a better way to manage your panic attacks. I hope things get easier for you soon.