Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Could only take rehab for 6 days, not the full 30...

Notices

Could only take rehab for 6 days, not the full 30...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Linz:
Part of your description sounds like my 90 day tour in 1989.
Don't let your resentment, anger and disappointment consume you. I hope you get restitution but I hope even more that you get involved in AA locally and don't slip back to where you were.

Wishing the best for you.

Bob R
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Oh my! I am so sorry!

that was worse than the in patient I went to and mine was at least state funded and didn't cost me anything. We had real food, most of which wasn't outdated. The rest, not so great, but not like your place.

I wish you awesome sobriety! Please find AVRT or AA and work it well.

You deserve so much more!!!
Peace,
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

Sorry you had a terrible rehab experience. I went to rehab last year and had a much better experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's exactly what the Dr. ordered so to speak. Mine also cost a lot more, but it was worth every penny.

I also know people who went to state funded less than pleasant rehabs and they adapted to the environment. Rehab isn't supposed to be pleasant in the long run. It's supposed to take you out of your comfort zone.

Good luck on your continued recovery.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I don't mean to be rude, but what were you expecting? Especially at only $100/day??

When I went to rehab we got up at 5:30 every morning and did chores. Not all of them were necessary, but that wasn't the point. Sure, the food wasn't the best. They told me ahead of time not to bring anything valuable because it would probably be stolen, so I didn't. Yes, and the other students weren't always respectful of the program; in fact they rarely were, but I didn't let that get in the way of my recovery. I put my heart into it, got up every damn morning and scrubbed those floors, humbled myself before the authority that I had paid to be in charge of me for thirty days.

Sure, it's not fun, it's not easy, but it's incredibly character building and I am sober now 11 months later in large part due to my 30 days there. Rehab won't keep you sober, but it will get you a good start on it. Like everything else, you get out of it what you put into it. It's not meant to be a day spa.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

eJoshua:
I was definitely not expecting a day spa for $100 a day, but I wasn't expecting a hell either.
To get up at 5:30 and scrub is the least of my complaints. It was the torturous midnight, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00 wake-up calls by other "students" playing pranks on me that is still flittering about in my mind as unnecessary.
I would not expect $100 a day to get me very much, but I would at least appreciate some milk for my coffee, some allowed exercise during the day, and some peace and quiet when I enter the room that I paid for... you know?
I also wouldn't mind if they would've stuck to their word about the place, and the happenings there. Not only did they not meet the promises that they made, they flat out lied about most of the things that go on and don't go on there.
And about authority... there was absolutely none of that there.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Linz, it sounds like a highly dysfunctional place. I hope you can somehow get the word out, so that others don't waste their money and time. And I very much hope you can get your money back: all of it.

Cancelling meetings at a rehab facility??! Highly unethical. Gone-by food? again, very unethical since good nutrition is a fundamental component of recovery. And the sleep disturbances: I'm afraid I might have killed somebody over that.

Don't let this ghastly experience send you backwards though - if at all possible.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Linz,

Aside from taking them to court, what is your plan otherwise? I say this because even if you take them to court, their lawyer will invariably pull the classic 'sick addict' defense and blame it all on you. If you are not on the up and up by then, that will not look good for you. OTOH, if you are sober as a stone, and can demonstrate that you will remain so, that won't fly so easily.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Linz:

Hard to think how any of that contributed to your recovery. The contract might say your money is non-refundable, but there may well be ways around that. Many states have highly consumer-friendly contract laws. Might be worth a call to a lawyer.

As far as my own rehab experience, it wasn't torture, but it also was not worth the money my health insurance paid for it. All I got out of it was a series of visits with a "counselor" whose sole "credential" was that he was an AA member, and who turned out to have 13th stepped my sponsor several years earlier.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Linz, I am so sorry to hear about your experience and yes, it sounds like a living hell. I didn't go to rehab BUT a good friend of my hubby and I is a LCDC councilor and she had us come and attend meetings at the facility she works at and tell our stories several times.

The place she works at is very secure and very organized. There is good nutritious food and plenty of snacks that patients have free access to. The "newbies" were under stricter rules for the first 72 hours (had different colored bracelets that identified their status) and were basically under what they referred to as "suicide watch".

Once the 72 hours were up then they would join the other residents in going to one outside AA or NA meeting daily plus they had meetings, group therapy and individual counseling daily at the facility. They started working the steps of AA. They had structured waking and lights out time as well as structured smoke break/fresh air breaks.

For the most part, most seemed like they were adjusted and making friends. None of this correlates to what you are describing. I agree with TU in that regardless of whether or not you win in court (and I certainly hope you do), you need to stay sober. Whether it is AA, or AVRT or whatever program that works for you, grab onto to it for dear life and work it hard! You will then be a winner REGARDLESS of what the courts/lawyers say.

Hugs,
Kellye