Notices

Sponsor question

Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor question

Can I have a sponsor but not participate in the AA steps?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I certainly don't speak for AA, but I am sure you can have as many or as few "sponsors, mentors, or just good friends" as you desire. It is after all a fellowship and as such one alcoholic helping another is the basis of that fellowship.

The usual logic behind a sponsor is for a particular individual that has what you want to help guide you based on the Big Book and their experience, strength and hope towards a fulfilling sober life. There are no rules in AA so you can do what makes sense to you as long as it doesn't cause any harm to AA as a whole.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to get a "guide" and attend the "classes" on mountain climbing and then get in "shape" for the climb, wouldn't you get the full effect by taking the steps to reach the top?

Just my observation and I wish you happiness and success regardless,

Jon
Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happens all the time, nothing new at all. Out of about 200 guys who asked me to sponsor them only about 35 did the steps and stayed sober.

If you did ask someone for their help in taking the steps and then not take them, you'd be doing what's most commonplace, and would probably wind up with the usual results.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The whole idea behind my having a sponsor has always been to seek guidance from someone who obviously has a good quality of life. That has meant remaining open-minded in spite of many things I tried to dig my feet in on. I can't say I've ever been guided in the wrong direction with any of my sponsors since 1986.

Whenever a suggestion is made from my sponsor, if I balk at the thought of doing it, I remind myself that my best "thinking" damned near killed me and brought me to the doors of AA in the first place.