Notices

Is this normal?..

Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?..

Hello and thanks for this forum.

Im 32 years old and ive been a heavy drinker for around 10 years, really heavy the last 6 years. I have no recollection of my 20's, just fragments. About 3 months ago i went sober, and the withdrawal brought with it all kinds of health problems. Everyday there was always something new. About 3 weeks ago i had a 2 day relapse with 40 beers and a whiskey bottle and no food, due to personal problems at home, i did what the usual recovering alcoholic does and ran away and took to alcohol at the first sign of trouble. And the day after i never have felt such withdrawal and pain before in my life and it clicked in my head that if i didint stop now the next time the bottle would put me 6 feet under. And i have been sober since then.

Now this is my question, today something odd happened to me. Ive been having some gastric problems and this and that since i stoped drinking, today i have been burping and the funny thing is that almost after every burp i could taste whiskey in my mouth. I dont know if it is the liver flushing out remains or what it is. Has something like this happened to you guys before?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome RandomPotato

Can't say I've experienced that, but maybe someone else will have, and will chime in
Congratulations on your 3 weeks

D
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Well ... without being too graphic, your body is going to give you memories of what you put into it. Waking up still tasting the drinks you had last night ... having, er, bathroom activity that smells like what you drank ... burping up the remnants of last night's binge ... oh yes. Lovely, isn't it?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember "days after" type stuff like this.

What I don't recall experiencing is having such things three weeks after I drank.

You mentioned gastric problems - farts ? I'd go to the doctor.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes time for things to straighten out. When I was drinking,(I rarely drank alcohol till 5 or after). But at lunch I would need 2 or 3 refills to get "rehydrated".
That didn't go away till probably a year after I quit drinking. I have kingsize water glasses at home. I always wondered why people bothered with tiny glasses. Now there is no way I could drink 2 of those glassfulls of water like I used to. I drank for 30+ years so I didn't expect things to just turn around all at once.
One thing about it. When you first quit drinking 3 months ahead just seems like a lifetime. But if we stay sober and just don't pick up that first drink. Before you know it your looking back, and a year seems like a few days ago.
Time does fly.
Fred
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I have had various hallucinations such as "tasting" wine in my mouth when driving home. I can,t recall the others but I got that a lot. The drinking dreams were very powerful as well?

We give up we miss it at a deep level until we readjust
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes i think it could be the mind playing tricks. As that relapse i had was quite severe. Still sober and going strong. The gastric problems may be due that i drink 4 to 5 mugs of coffee on an empty stomach in the morning to get me going. My withdrawal worsens of it but without the coffee i would be a zombie the whole day. Gonna cut it down to 2 and then switch to tea the rest of the day. I drink about 1½ to 2 liters of water per day.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes in the mornings (even after nights that I haven't drank) I taste beer in my mouth and on my breath. It really is weird, the thing an alcoholics body goes through.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

I could taste the stale booze in the mouth the next morning, but not three weeks later? Are you drinking a lot of water and eating? You may be in ketosis if you aren't eating enough. It kinda smells like nail polish remover..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yup...

I haven't had a drink in almost four years and still every now and again I get the taste of alcohol in my mouth. For me I believe it's psychological and don't know if there is some physical reason for you having this symptom.

Also...I too have many, many health problems that came about after I got sober, including gastric issues. It's very frustrating and depressing to know that I've done this to myself and now I must spend the rest of my life suffering the consequences but I am willing to deal with these things in my recovery because they are much better than it was to be drunk! Hang in there and take good care of your body!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Welcome to SR

I've never known that before with the burping and it tasting like whiskey maybe you should go to your gp and ask maybe they can help
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

hi. im in the same kinda situation as i am 32 have been drinking for at least ten years, the last 6 also being the worst. alcohol does a number on the body, and gas and acid are usually the lingering side effects from my experience.i would say drink lots of water, take vitamins, try to avoid more acidic things like soda,salsa n such, and go to the doctor and be honest about your symptoms and their cause. they can rule out any serious problems
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well here's an update. Been doing lots better now and ive not had that whiskey taste in my mouth since i wrote about it. Started eating better again and stomach is "almost" back to normal. Can at least enjoy a cup of coffee now without getting the horrible pains and strains of withdrawal. Also been to the doctors office and as usual even here in Finland they just shakes their heads when you tell them how much you have been drinking. Somedays though are really tough as you all know but i refuse to give in a get that drink because i know that its only a few hours of relief and then the hell of intensified withdrawal comes again and everything with it. I want to thank you all for your replys and stay strong.