Notices

Day Nine...still no drinking

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Nine...still no drinking

Hi Everyone...we'll I made it to day nine. I had a couple of instances where I almost broke and a drink. Last night I was on my way out the door to get something for dinner because we didn't have anything that I wanted at home. I was headed to my favorite pub to order something to take home full well knowing that I would probably have a few drinks while I was waiting (bad idea I know). Before I walked out the door, I turned around and saw my 6 year old son sitting at the dining room table. He said "see you later DaDa." I think he was afraid that I wasn't going to be home for awhile like a lot of other nights when I was drinking. I walked over to him and gave him a big hug and promised him I would be right back. Instead of going to the pub, I went to a fast food place instead and was home in about 15 minutes. My love for my son saved me last night.
On to day 10,
Scott
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's freakn' awesome!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Johnny. It was Maybe I'm starting to grow up
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Those little voices are heard the loudest sometimes, aren't they? Keep up the great work. I bet your son is very proud of you and notices the changes you have made.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The alcoholism is stronger than any mental defense you can put up against it.You will find yourself with a drink in your hand next week or next month.Maybe then you will realize what you are up against,a mind that can't leave it alone.This is a tedious process sometimes and it takes time to break you down.Hope you don't hit a jackpot on the way.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
The alcoholism is stronger than any mental defense you can put up against it.You will find yourself with a drink in your hand next week or next month.Maybe then you will realize what you are up against,a mind that can't leave it alone.This is a tedious process sometimes and it takes time to break you down.Hope you don't hit a jackpot on the way.

I'm sorry, was this meant to sound mean and unsupportive, or am I miss interpreting?

I think you very well, Scott. Keep it up and keep the image of your sons little face in your mind.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wtf?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes people say things out of frustration. Alcohol, depression, ambition, a variety of things warp one's reality. Come back to the light Winslynn! There is no spoon. Good for you Scott.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love that!!!! Good on you!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People,I am speaking from my experience of many years in AA.Everything I said is in the Big Book of AA.Sometimes you have to speak frankly about the alcoholism and not just blow sunshine on the person because they haven't had a drink for a week.If he is a real alcoholic he won't be able to leave it alone no matter how much he wants to.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

People,I am speaking from my experience of many years in AA.Everything I said is in the Big Book of AA.Sometimes you have to speak frankly about the alcoholism and not just blow sunshine on the person because they haven't had a drink for a week.If he is a real alcoholic he won't be able to leave it alone no matter how much he wants to.
Wow, someone is in a Eeyore mood today..

Not everyone believes that AA is a key to sobriety. And if your attitude is anything like an AA meeting, I will never attend. I believe in MYSELF. I can do anything I set my mind to, so can Scott.

I believe in supporting people. A week sober is better than a week trashed.

Take a lesson from my three year old, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

I need a cigarette after that BS.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still fail to see the point in your post tho. What good is it going to do?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments As for you Winslynn. I agree with Vichloe, if this is what they teach in AA, I'm not going. This is my 10th day and the urges are getting less and less. I will win this battle Winslynn. Just stick around and see for yourself. I'm sorry you feel this way. If you don't change your attitude about it, you are going to be a slave to bottle until it kills you. Don't let that happen because I'm not going to.
Scott
Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Winslynn...I see you have bee sober since 1993. What is the deal with your comments then. Do you think you are the only one who can stay sober? There are a lot of people on this forum who haven't let alcohol destroy their lives and I plan on being one of them. Just don't understand your line of thinking here. If this is what you call support, please stay out of my post
Scott
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scottneedspeace View Post
Hi Everyone...we'll I made it to day nine. I had a couple of instances where I almost broke and a drink. Last night I was on my way out the door to get something for dinner because we didn't have anything that I wanted at home. I was headed to my favorite pub to order something to take home full well knowing that I would probably have a few drinks while I was waiting (bad idea I know). Before I walked out the door, I turned around and saw my 6 year old son sitting at the dining room table. He said "see you later DaDa." I think he was afraid that I wasn't going to be home for awhile like a lot of other nights when I was drinking. I walked over to him and gave him a big hug and promised him I would be right back. Instead of going to the pub, I went to a fast food place instead and was home in about 15 minutes. My love for my son saved me last night.
On to day 10,
Scott
Scott: I have an 8 year old. One of the reasons I quit (now 22 days) is because of him. I had a watershed experience on Feb 1, 2012 see my thread. I realized and accepted that the drinking (6 tall cans of beer per night on average) would kill me, no doubt. I had all kinds of vague abdominal pains, red face etc etc. you can read my post. I accepted this as a truth just as if a doctor had done a bunch of tests and told me so. I know that I am right. Maybe I am not at the stage that I thought or I am, but that is irrelevant, because it will kill you sooner or later.

For me accepting that it will kill me eventually and that therefore I was betraying my son and many others in favour of drinking beer became to much to handle. I compared beer to everything else that I was risking and thought I must be crazy. I accepted that I could not continue in this way. I decided to choose what I thought was important, what was real and what made me happy. Drinking beer was not part of it and in fact ran contrary. It will ruin everything that is good and normal. Therefore I no longer drink and intend to stay that way.

So far I have done it on my own with the help of this site. If I fail and see that I cannot do it on my own I will seek direct help whether it be from AA or otherwise.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days, Scott! Good job! :-)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 10 or more days and wishing you many more.

Quitting drinking has made me a much better father, the gift you are giving your son by stopping will the best thing you can ever give him.

As for the harsh words above, as my 11 year old Daughter says "let your Haters become your motivators"

Please keep an open mind, I do not go to AA but know many people that do and it does wonders for them and they have a very positive outlooks.

Anyway I am out,
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Scott, AA will be there if you need it.

I couldn't get sober by myself and most AA's feel the same way. Anything I say is only based on my own experience and a fear for your safety. That being said I truly wish you the best with your choice.

If I could do it by myself I would have done it a long time ago......

Bob R
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Workingdrunk View Post
Scott: I have an 8 year old. One of the reasons I quit (now 22 days) is because of him. I had a watershed experience on Feb 1, 2012 see my thread. I realized and accepted that the drinking (6 tall cans of beer per night on average) would kill me, no doubt. I had all kinds of vague abdominal pains, red face etc etc. you can read my post. I accepted this as a truth just as if a doctor had done a bunch of tests and told me so. I know that I am right. Maybe I am not at the stage that I thought or I am, but that is irrelevant, because it will kill you sooner or later.

For me accepting that it will kill me eventually and that therefore I was betraying my son and many others in favour of drinking beer became to much to handle. I compared beer to everything else that I was risking and thought I must be crazy. I accepted that I could not continue in this way. I decided to choose what I thought was important, what was real and what made me happy. Drinking beer was not part of it and in fact ran contrary. It will ruin everything that is good and normal. Therefore I no longer drink and intend to stay that way.

So far I have done it on my own with the help of this site. If I fail and see that I cannot do it on my own I will seek direct help whether it be from AA or otherwise.
Thanks for that inspiring story. Appartently, Love is the power that can overcome anything.

"let your Haters become your motivators" well said. Very wise daughter you have there bmw cycle
"AA will be there if you need it." thanks 2granddaughters. I know this but if Winslynn is any indication of what AA is about, I think I'll do much better on my own. And of course this forum is a HUGE inspiration (winslynn not withstanding)
Scott