Notices

Well guys finally hit "my" bottom77823539

Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well guys finally hit "my" bottom77823539

So last as usual, I went out to get my daily fifth of vodka and grab a bite to eat. Long story short I got too drunk ended up with my first DUI and wrecked me car into something that indont remember. The cop was very generous and took me to the hospital and did everything be could do to help. I had a BAC of .34 almost 6 hours, more than 4x the legal limit. I figured enough was enough and got admitted to the hospital because I knew I was going WD.

So I need some advise on what to do next, I don't want to drink anymore and I think impatient rehab is the only viable option at this point. I'm just going to end up in the same place if I don't get some long terns care... And p.s. I'm 25 btw, and still safe in the hospital getting pumped full of fluids, and some benzo that starts with a s but forget the name
Old 02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes. Detox and AA does it for me.

I wish you the best.

Bob
Old 02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back kmm

My advice is to do whatever positive things you need to do to stop drinking - if you've decided rehab is the best way for you to do that - grab it with both hands

D
Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad that your alive to talk about it kmm. You didn't mention your injuries so I'm assuming you're with minor scrapes /bruises? Also glad that you hit something instead of a person.

This is a great time to make some changes in your life. I'm not familiar with in-patient rehab but since you are willing to get help, take that step soon. Do it now while you have the motivation to go.

I'm sure your local Heath Department would have resources available for addiction/rehab. It's a place to start, kmm. You're so young. Don't waste most of your twenties as I did drinking and regretting.

You sound eager to pick yourself up and move forward and I think that's awesome We're all here for you.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Keep in mind that you are done with drinking and continue your detox and residential rehab. As a matter of fact, that is what worked for me, along with AA and gestalt therapy. Get a plan started on what you're doing after your discharge from detox. There are plenty of ways to keep yourself sober, but none of them work if you go back to drinking. So teach yourself that drinking and drunkeness is simply not an option ever again. Period. That will be enough to get you going and will help you start to have a good plan put in place that is built around YOU and designed for YOU.

Best
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reminds of a AA meeting years age. Chairperson qualified by telling how he was kicked awake in his cell and was told he ran down a mother and daughter the night before. They died. He didn't remember a thing.

Time for some changes my friend.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Count your blessing that you are alive and didn't kill anybody. Rehab and AA sound like a good plan. I'm sure the court system is going to have an opinion on what you should do. Take advantage to the opportunity to medically detox in the hospital, and remember that you never have to feel this way again if you don't drink.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lucky guy-just property damage and the normal first offense hoops to jump through. Though you probably won't feel like a lucky guy playing this out over the coming year you are that, if you stay stopped. If not, then not so lucky at all.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello! I am glad you posted, it looks like the universe is trying to tell you something and you are listening! A dui was my bottom as well, it was my wake up call. It was a negative consequence of drinking i could not rationalize away-i could have hurt or killed someone! I am glad you are getting the medical detox you need. I hope you keep posting to let us know how you are doing. You can do this! You deserve to have a wonderful and healthy life. Please take good care of yourself. xo
PS The benzo is Serax aka Oxazepam.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome thanks for the support guys, and no injuries luckily. I'm just waiting for the docs and social workers to come in now and give me a run down
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You definitely want to stop.

You will go through dui classes and a possible mother against drunk driver presentation along with an evaluation of your problem. if you get ARD you won't have to spend a day in jail. if you don't get ard you may spend a day to 3 in jail. I had a dui in PA about 4 years ago.

keep this in your mind - if you kill someone while driving drunk you will be with other criminals in prison for possible the rest of your life if not 10 20 years maybe. Put that in your head and remember that. And you'd have to live with the fact you killed another human.

Good luck and knock off this nonsense.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Driving a car with a BAC of .34 indicates a serious alcohol problem. The majority of people who be passed out and a .40 BAC can lead to death. The average DUI arrest the person has around a .16 BAC. I had a .37 BAC but I was staggering drunk in the hospital. It's great that you are getting help for the alcohol issue. I might suggest speaking with a lawyer ASAP for the legal issues. I recently got a RestrictedDriving license after 3 DUI's (10 years suspended) and I could not of done it without him. Consultations are usually free and at a minimum I would do that. While jail time for a first DUI is unlikely, this DUI can effect you for a long time. I know many people will be telling you, "your lucking you didn't hurt anyone." But the fact is, you didn't, and you will get through this.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

.37, sadly impressive. Shows too much tolerance. Grab on to whatever you can not to drink because you can't, and be healthy in any way over the long term. An acquaintance of mine did kill some one. Jail or not, the mere fact of having killed a person is prison enough.
Care for yourself as you might for a friend in your shoes. Support yourself in doing teh right thing to lead a different life.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

Glad nobody was hurt! I am relieved you are getting help and hope your detox is as easy as possible.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kmm5117, this whole experience could turn out to be the biggest gift you ever received if it frees you from the bonds of alcoholism. Remember that alcoholism not only causes a lot of direct damage but it keeps you from living life to its fullest.

At only 25 there are a lot of things life has to offer that you will never come to know as an alcoholic. Take the gift you've been given and make the best of it, do all the treatment with a passion and you will get a lot out of it. I wish you all the best going forward.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just posting an update, back home from the hospital (at my parents house to make sure I stay clean), still feeling shaky as hell, but have an appointment with an impatient rehab program Thursday and Sunday, both said to bring clothes in case they admit me.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck with the upcoming appointments. Stay strong and focused on what you are going to do to change things. It will not be easy. At least for me it hasn't been easy!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well I just got back from my first appointment and was approved for rehab but they had a long waiting list. But just as I was leaving the other place called me and I will be admitted to their 28 day impatient program on Sunday. They instructed me to keep taking the Librium until then, but I'm actually excited to have a chance to get back on track. And my insurance covers 80% of the cost which isn't too bad either
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good to hear, kmm! Those waiting lists are insane, I'm glad you found a place to get into soon. Take care til then.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So many times I've driven black out drunk, and somehow never got into any trouble or accidents for it. Got pulled over a few times while drunk, and was somehow lucid enough to get away with it. I have no idea how. My car died out and my license expired before things got even worse, and I'm lucky for that. Who knows what could have happened. I don't know how I got away with the stupid crap that I did, but I still wish I'd never done it. I have a feeling if I had kept driving, something horrible would have ended up happening.

This is definitely a wake up call for you, and it sounds like you needed one. Rehab sounds like a good idea if you think it will help you. Do whatever you can to avoid this stuff. There's so much more possibility of happiness if you put all this behind you. Just be thankful nobody got hurt and you have a chance to make things right.