Notices

Alcohol and high blood pressure

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJohn View Post
When I was drinking my BP was about 140/100 and now being sober my BP is 110/78 with no meds.
Me too. 365 days sobriety with normal bp and no meds for anything....
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
Me too. 365 days sobriety with normal bp and no meds for anything....
Congrats on a year today
Old 09-09-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure has an effect on blood pressure. I had to be put on meds at age 30 because of it, but the doc said it's likely because of the drinking.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Congrats on a year today
Thanks GnikNus.

Before I quit drinking, I was taking blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, antidepressants, thyroid meds, and I had sleep apnea. It's all gone now. The secret to lowering your bp is to stop drinking, forever....(Once I stopped I lost 55 pounds - that helped too.)

Otherwise, you are just banging your head up against the wall everyday and your surprised that you have a headache....

I would respectfully suggest that if you want it to change, you have to change. I know it's hard, but it is doable with help. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

alcohol

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I started taking medicine for my high blood pressure about 11 years ago. It was scary high when I found out. I quit drinking almost 3 years ago. I quit taking blood pressure medicine about 8 months ago. It is picture perfect in the morning,but creeps up some during the day. (caffeine and salt). But it's low enough I don't take medicine anymore.
Sooo,while it didn't drop in a few weeks it did return to almost normal. I drank for 30+ years,so I really didn't expect it to happen overnight. But I was also very surprised when after over 2 years it came down. (I have always tested it from time to time by not taking my medicine) I bought a cheap but accurate machine for under 50 bucks when I found out I high BP.
I wasn't a binge drinker,but I drank at least a 12 pack every day.
It IS true that this "crap" raises your BP.
Fred
Hi there fred i just wanted to ask you how long were you drinking having high blood pressure before you started taking medication ?
Old 10-14-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Forward12;6127529]Alcohol for sure has an effect on blood pressure. I had to be put on meds at age 30 because of it, but the doc said it's likely because of the drinking.[/QUOTE
How long were you drinking with high blood pressure before you started taking medication .?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yup, it will raise your bp.. so will anxiety and so will caffeine, and when we quit drinking those two tend to *pop* go through the roof.. lol Exercise, hydration and avoiding salt and caffeine will lower it.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This is reminding me, I really need to get a full check up soon... I have had systolic bp pushing 140 in the past, and alcohol could have been a factor, along with weight, caffeine intake and stress. After exercise it drops to 114, which would be lovely all the time.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just had mine checked today, and had a prescription for blood pressure meds filled. It was nowhere near the levels it was at when I was drinking.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was pre-hypertensive when I was still drinking. Now after 3 years sober, at age 60, it's 120/78 to 128/84. No meds, but I do bike a lot.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=junior08901;6174003]
Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Alcohol for sure has an effect on blood pressure. I had to be put on meds at age 30 because of it, but the doc said it's likely because of the drinking.[/QUOTE
How long were you drinking with high blood pressure before you started taking medication .?
I went in for a checkup when I was 27 and they were blown away by how high it was for my age, they checked it three times and though it was just because of stress and that I smoked a cig before I came in, but years later it still was high. I was alcoholicly drinking for about 2 years at the time.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Mine used to be as high as 165 over something, almost dangerously high, but now it's solidly in the normal range and the docs are always surprised. I don't take meds, I just quit drinking and very quickly it went down. Incidentally I think that can be a challenge to us in early recovery sometimes - we're used to high blood pressure, and when it quickly drops and stays down for good, our bodies have to re-adapt to normal pressure.
Did you quit completely or did limit your consumption, beacuse ive read if your a heavy dinker and you completely stop high blood pressure can rise
Old 10-17-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

i took mine the day i went into the hospital. it was 223/138. now on bp meds, it's usually 115-120/70-80. My doc said i could probably go off of them completely if i lost some more weight.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My blood pressure has been dropping daily since I stopped drinking (day 10). It is hovering around 105/75, my doctor has reduced the hydrochlorothiazide from 25 mg daily to 12.5 mg daily because I have been so lightheaded. I am hoping that maybe I will be able to stop this and the other BP med altogether. I am monitoring daily to keep an eye on it.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Alcohol absolutely raises blood pressure. It seems, in my experience, the more you abuse alcohol the more it raises your blood pressure.

Here's an article from the Mayo clinic on the correlation:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058254
Old 01-26-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yep me too, my blood pressure was high when I was drinking typically it was like 145/148/150/155 over 92/95/98/105 and my heart rate was always higher than normal like in the mid nineties and as high as 110 sometimes, it was bad. The mornings were no fun either, when I tried to maintain one pint of vodka a night in my effort to reduce my consumption, I would wake up feeling horrible with bad heart palpitations. So glad that's over
Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My blood pressure and heart rate used to rocket when I was drinking and for a few days afterwards. Not only was I drinking heavily (binge drinking for 3 or 4 days most weeks then off alcohol for as long as I could stand it) but I used to smoke like a chimney too when I was drinking. Very dangerous as I had a heart attack back in May 2010 the cause of which was down to my lifestyle. I was put on blood pressure and heart meds. Yet I didn't learn and there were times when I was drinking heavily that even with the meds my heart rate was over 100 (sometimes up to 120) while my blood pressure soared to about 160/100.

I stopped drinking (and therefore smoking) last summer and now the only time my heart rate is over 100 is when I'm exercising. My resting rate is a steady 55-60 and my blood pressure is usually about 125/80 which is slightly higher than the perfect 120/80 but not so bad that I have to worry about it. But I would say it took the best part of a week after I stopped drinking / smoking before everything went back to being healthy. In fact I think it may have been a few more days before my blood pressure went back to normal. But certainly my heart rate was fine by the end of the first week.

Don't forget that elevated blood pressure from drinking can cause strokes and heart attacks, often without warning. That was certainly the case for me and yet I still took 7 years to actually stop completely though when I came out of hospital in 2010 I did stop for over 3 months only to foolishly start all over again.