Notices

So bored

Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So bored

I over analyze myself. One of the reasons I drank was that I was just bored with life. I'm sober, but the bloom is off the rose, and I'm very very bored.

I shouldn't be, I have 2 jobs, kids, wife, home, work out, etc...but I'm just going through the motions, I'm just bored.

I know, wahh wahh wahh.

Just venting I guess, but I feel a relapse coming on.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

get yourself a safer addiction!

Get a Wii and play that with others, fun squared!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You feel a relapse coming on and that's ok? Feelings like boredom come and go, no feeling is permanent. It may be that this is the only shot you get at being sober so I suggest protecting it. Talk to another alcoholic and get to some meetings. Feeling bored is pretty common after we altered our consciousness for years. It's part of getting used to feeling good in your own skin. Sobriety is different but hey, we're still alcoholics and what we know is to drink if we don't like something.

By the way, good advice to get a new addiction. It's called "trading up addictions" but it buys us time to get used to sobriety. Common ones are food, video games, exercise ....
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Krug

I can understand exactly how you are feeling right now. As my journey into sobriety has had me in the exact same head space that you are going through right now.

One gets the feeling that the once bright shinny penny has now lost its luster and is nothing more than a green tinged piece of old copper among a pile of other once bright coins.

It is great that you are sober and are feeling this without giving into hiding from it through drink or drugs.

You also know that drinking and a relapse will only make this and everything 1000X worse.

Look close at this discomfort and take it for what it really is. You desire a change, you crave something new and exciting.

Take this chance and find that fire again to polish yourself shinny and new.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I see the word “bored” here a lot. It seems to me a word for something else that’s going on with a person. I’m not going to presume what this is with any particular person, but I would suggest that the problem runs a bit deeper. It does seem a bit odd to have a problem as serious as alcoholism, persist due to something as mild as boredom, does it not?

Experiencing “boredom” is often a sort of mask for another emotion. It’s often a bit frightening for the “bored” person to even consider that the problem may be a bit more serious. It takes a bit of courage and self honestly to peel back the layer of the onion below “boredom”. Often it’s depression and the opposite side of the same coin … anger. These emotions are not impossible to manage. Their recognition is, however, important to begin a different journey.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

AA Omaha
www.docmartin.org/aaomaha/
try this
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

awuh1 you must also factor in a persons, how do i say this... attention span duration?

Some like myself are VERY easily destracted and things that take our mind off everything thats going on, helps us consentrate or veg out.

I guess the more suseceptable to distraction we are the more we might seek ways to dull the effect.

I find computer games against other people in the room, can make me forget my situation and thoughts completly.

A wii at a funerual woudl make me look VERY bad in a matter of minutes
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What did you use to do for fun other than drinking krug?

I know the feeling, I had to make some changes & adjustments too.

I picked up some of my old hobbies & found some new ones. My tennis game is better than ever & hiking and climbing mountains is awesome (I could barely climb the stairs to my building on a Saturday morning with a hangover lol). I picked up my guitar again & just started to learn the ukelele (its so small I laugh when I pick it up).

Anyway, what are some of the things you have some interest in? If you don't have any then its time to get out & try some new things. Sitting around a bar getting hammered is pretty boring really... not to mention the following days of being hungover & the misery that goes with it.

What do you have a passion or interest in? Im sure you can find some fun activities to do

Cheers ~ NB
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Is the issue boredom or a relapse coming? Boredom is easy. Get excited about something in your life. Learn about it, study it, investigate it, plan it, anticipate and look forward to doing it. It can be anything of value in your life.

The relapse mentality is totally independent from boredom. You don't need to use boredom as an excuse for a relapse. Try to figure out what is going on in your life that you are willing to walk into whatever destruction a relapse would cause in your life.

You go where your mind goes. Feel your mind with enthusiasm.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Krug, your story sounds like mine.

I find the best cure for boredom is helping someone else.
Do you go to AA? Helping a newcomer sure gets me out of me.

You are coming to a fork in the road, you can take the high road or the low road.
When those dogs get fighting in my head I try to feed the AA dog, know what I mean??...

Wishing you the best

Bob R
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Boredom is natures way of reminding you that you now have spare capacity. I now have learned to appreciate boredom as a sign that I would benefit from appreciating.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Boredom was described to me as an over active mind, and an under active ass. It's easy to fix. Do something.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I never had a problem with boredom....I found myself a program of recovery and immersed myself into it....Took the energy I put into drinking into finding a way to stop drinking...It worked for me.