Notices

" SLEEPLESS IN {pennsylvania}"

Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

" SLEEPLESS IN {pennsylvania}"

hi all. i've gotten "sober", dry rather, several times before, but never experienced this one. i guess its part of the progressive nature of alcoholism.... i have been sober now into my seventh day (wow, one week already!) and cannot for the life of me get any meaningful sleep, i just lie there and toss and turn. i feel like a zombie..... any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go on the full week SOL~~~congrads!

I know I tossed and turned a lot myself. When i finally did sleep i actually had dreams, however, so maybe the sleep was better for my brain then before? Not sure.

you might try a fan; the breeze can allow you to bury under blankets, if that is more comfy. some find white noise, from a fan or a radio between stations, can also help.

i find it useful sometimes to remember that even if i am not able to fall off, i am giving my body some recovery from the day by laying down and trying to zone out. this makes me feel less worried anyway.

what you eat might help; spegs with no suger or protene might fill you up and send a few chemicals that make you more able to sleep.

great job on your seven days! remember this will pass, just hang in there~~~
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's true that you are getting rest even if can't go fully to sleep, if you are lying there with your eyes closed. It's crucial to close your eyes and rest the visual cortex.

I like the white noise and fan suggestions. I always find a shower or bath just before bed helpful: clean sheets, dark quiet fresh-smelling room - I put a little of my favorite perfume on the underside of the pillow.

And sleep will come back to you as your nerves repair themselves - hang in! and nighty-night.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

normal?

thanks for the suggestions... but im just wondering why i cant sleep? is it because of the booze withdrawal? its been a week, how long does it take to get back to bed?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Melatonin helps me tremendously.