Notices

So, I was watching "Hoarders"....

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sweet, I was looking for something to watch tonight and this thread reminded me that I love Hoarders. You know, I'm really glad my worst moments aren't aired on primetime and endless reruns. People would have some pretty terrible things to say about me, and I would look as silly as any of these people in denial are. As someone who is trying for a second chance at life through recovery, I have to believe that I am a good person when I am not drinking. Experience supports this idea. Likewise, my experience also supports the notion that I'm a monster when I'm drinking.

I would have done anything when I was drinking. I have to believe that there is a difference between drinking and not drinking - and it matters, or else my recovery is pointless. I don't know why some people have lower "bottoms" than others, but I believe that addiction will take everyone down, sinner or saint, eventually. Aside from my personal experience being a drunk, I've seen drugs and alcohol take down young men and women, and I've seen drugs and alcohol take out people old enough to know better. Addiction makes us all immoral.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Freethinking - excellent last post! Thanks for sharing....I DEF. think you are on to something with the immature self-absorption. That is a major part of my brothers problem. It's interesting...out of my siblings...one brother never drinks, one brother is a problem drinker, me and one brother recovering alcoholics with years of solid sobriety, and oldest brother still drinking despite consequences. All raised in the same house (by crazy parents, but talk about another story ), basic same situation, and such different outcomes. Nature of a very strange beast I guess....

Thanks again! Very interesting!

Sorry if I am hijacking the Hoarders thread...I also have seen the show, and was appalled at first, until I realized that in my case, it was just a bottle instead of boxes. Still a lot of $hit cluttering up my life and chasing my family away.

Jomey
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Freethinking - excellent last post! Thanks for sharing....I DEF. think you are on to something with the immature self-absorption. That is a major part of my brothers problem. It's interesting...out of my siblings...one brother never drinks, one brother is a problem drinker, me and one brother recovering alcoholics with years of solid sobriety, and oldest brother still drinking despite consequences. All raised in the same house (by crazy parents, but talk about another story ), basic same situation, and such different outcomes. Nature of a very strange beast I guess....

Thanks again! Very interesting!

Jomey
Interesting family dynamic (I'm sort of interested in that stuff), and I agree - great conversation!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Self pity, ignorance and laziness are three of the least attractive human characteristics. It's so easy to just wallow in them as an addict and not even see it. The bars are just full of it. I couldn't stand it even when I was drunk. Intolerance is one of my weaknesses.