Notices

Never realized how bad I was till today

Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never realized how bad I was till today

My history with drinking has been sort of on/off. I'll go a while where I drink most days, then a while where it's just a couple of nights a week. Me and my girlfriend have been drinking quite a lot lately and decided to quit this weekend. We decided to go out with a bang which in hindsight was a bad idea. We pretty much drank beer and tequilla all night friday and all day saturday. I tried to taper myself down a little bit yesterday by having a couple of drinks throughout the day. Then I spent the whole night tossing and turning. I felt like I had gone through the worst of it, then the shakes came back full force when I got to class. I couldn't even take notes and I started having anxiety so I said I was sick and went home. I am missing a test so I hope he will let me make it up tomorrow.

I called my GF on the way home and she was supportive which I am thankful for. She told me to get some sleep and we made some sober plans for this upcoming weekend. I don't think AA is really something I could do because I am atheist and I don't like a lot of their ideas, but I think me and her will be enough support.

I've read plenty about withdrawls so I don't have a whole lot of questions or anything. Just kind of wanted to get this off my chest somewhere that would understand.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi electric, welcome to the forums of SoberRecovery.com

I too am an atheist (of the implicit variety) and find that some aspects of AA will not work for me, not because they are spiritual principles, but because some of the spiritual principles in AA are religious in nature.

Now some atheist find creative ways to work around those things in AA that atheism out right rejects. Other atheist have converted over to AA's philosophy of recovery. I do attend open meetings of AA and work parts of the program that have meaning to me. What has helped me the most as an atheist in a faith based program is: take what works and leave the rest.

I say go to a few AA meetings, read the big Book and decide for yourself if AA can be an aid to your recovery.

Originally Posted by electric
...we made some sober plans for this upcoming weekend.
Great idea! I would suggest having an addiction treatment plan for daily use. Below are some links to addiction treatment resources. Have a look and see if anything 'clicks' with you. Also here at SR is a great site for learning recovery tools and recieving support from others that have experience in alcoholism recovery.
SMART Tools and SMART Articles

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Recovery Tools Recovery Resources from cbtrecovery.com

DBT Life Skills For Emotional Health

Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. By Jack Trimpey. (Google book preview including the Addiction Voice Recognition Technique or the AVRT)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Tons of atheists attend AA, meeting other people with your same problem can be very helpful to you, make sober friends and talk to them and hang out with them. You don't have to involve yourself in anything spiritual if you don't want.

I am not religious much at all and I find AA comforting socially because I am surrounded by sober people.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The fellowship of AA can be of tremendous value, and as someone else said, "take what you need, and leave the rest."
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just joined this site tonight and I am apalled at the posts I read.This disease will kill you and there is a proven program to stave it off[AA] but here are people saying they will do the parts they like and forget the rest.Atheists helped write the AA book,check out our history.I feel I'm reading letters from Jonestown just before they suicided.

Cheers,Steve
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Electric

Please do think about seeing a Dr.
Detox can be problematic for some of us, and it's best to be safe I think.

Glad to have you with us

D
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((electric))) - Welcome to SR!! AA is great for a lot of people, but there are all kinds of ways to recover. I went to AA for a while, though opiates where my "thing" at the time. Didn't listen to my sponsor or anyone else, discovered crack

My "recovery" is picking stuff I like from various areas--a little bit of AA, a bit of AVRT, and a LOT of things I've picked up from SR.

I would encourage you to see a dr. Alcohol withdrawals are no joke and can be fatal. Be honest about how much you drink. A doctor can't help you if they don't know the truth. It may take a few tries to find the right doctor, but they are worth their weight in gold. I was lucky enough to find the right "fit" the first time. I had to go to several different doctors for a work-related injury, walked in and said "I'm a recovering addict and this is what I did. I was treated with respect and thanked for my honesty.

My point being, there are doctors who will help you with this, just as there are a LOT of people here who are willing to help you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steve

You don't have to like everything you read here but we do expect that our members respect each other and their viewpoints

You may find our 12 step forums to your liking

D
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

My thoughts are with you. I hope you maintain strength in your resolve.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by electric View Post
My history with drinking has been sort of on/off. I'll go a while where I drink most days, then a while where it's just a couple of nights a week. Me and my girlfriend have been drinking quite a lot lately and decided to quit this weekend. We decided to go out with a bang which in hindsight was a bad idea. We pretty much drank beer and tequilla all night friday and all day saturday. I tried to taper myself down a little bit yesterday by having a couple of drinks throughout the day. Then I spent the whole night tossing and turning. I felt like I had gone through the worst of it, then the shakes came back full force when I got to class. I couldn't even take notes and I started having anxiety so I said I was sick and went home. I am missing a test so I hope he will let me make it up tomorrow.

I called my GF on the way home and she was supportive which I am thankful for. She told me to get some sleep and we made some sober plans for this upcoming weekend. I don't think AA is really something I could do because I am atheist and I don't like a lot of their ideas, but I think me and her will be enough support.

I've read plenty about withdrawls so I don't have a whole lot of questions or anything. Just kind of wanted to get this off my chest somewhere that would understand.
Having your GF as a support even in moral ways is a good sign. But - that would be not enough. If you do not want any AA at all, but want something to put it out away, it could either be looking forward to your relatives and family friends that could really understand you.

Or, in this forum you can actually make friends with other memeber, sharing your thoughts, and definitely people will also start supporting you and guiding you on where you should head.

But the very first thing I guess that you should do is to first realize WHO YOU REALLY ARE. Finding your real purpose defines who you are. Finding the right place for you defines who you are.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate the advice but I want to do this in my own way. I have spent hours reading about it.

I started feeling a lot better yesterday around 7ish. I actually got one of the best nights sleep I've had in a while. I'm feeling the detox though. My tounge is like coated in slime and I woke up smelling really gross. Can't wait to see how I feel tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good deal, electric. You've got a plan in place and the support of your girlfriend.

You'll probably know soon if it is a good plan, or if it is a bad plan.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You won't know til you try.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcoholics usually find a way to do the right thing....

after they've exhausted all other possible alternatives.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
Bob R