Notices

outpatient rehab

Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

outpatient rehab

Hey everyone. I was curious if anyone has any experience with outpatient rehab. A kind 7-12 daily kind of thing. I have been looking into options and with my insurance it will cost 10% of what inpatient will. My evaluation is monday. I was just curious if any has had experiences with this.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm getting ready to start a 90 day outpatient treatment but its through the county and on a sliding scale for income. But this was after a 5 day detox. Good luck with what you decide I am looking forward to mine it's alot of hours but still gives me more freedom.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be honest at the evaluation and take their advice.
I have a bit of a problem with "Good luck with what you decide" as, in the beginning, we don't make good decisions. Trust the professionals as best you can.

If you were going in for heart surgery would you want to be awake during the procedure to monitor and direct the surgeon if you thought he might be doing something wrong ?? In the beginning I would !! because I didn't trust !!
I would want to be the director and I wouldn't have a clue about what was happening.

Wish you the best bigred, looking forward to your posts on your recovery. Take care.

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No experience from me....I went directly to AA and there I've stayed.
Hope it works out for you....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Be honest at the evaluation and take their advice.
Great advice.

I have plenty of experience in lying my butt off to them (ashamed of what I'd done, afraid they'd judge me, afraid their judgments would be too harsh, very little experience in getting honest with anyone period, etc) and plenty of experience in NOT following their advice.

Um, that didn't work out so well. My first go around came 5 or 6 years before my second and third times.....and I dunno, maybe if I'd been honest I could have saved myself from a lot of pain, expense, and misery.

From there, my only experience is with outpatient "therapy" - where I'd go to an office for an hour or two each week for counseling. (miraculously, on my 3rd trip, I was finally able to get honest and, thankfully, had enough humility beaten into me that I was willing to take some direction). I'm not sure if "out-patient rehab" is the same thing or not.

Your honesty and willingness are very important as are the qualifications and experience of the therapist. There are many wonderful therapists out there, many who are just in it to book hours and many who's hearts are in the right place but don't have the right experience.

AA has really taken a front-row seat in my recovery but, like with the therapists, I had to find the right people.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am starting an outpatient program on Tuesday. I would say, if the price is right, go for it!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...I've tried to get sober with AA, on my own, with rehab, ETC. This time it's part of a conditional discharge from court, so I don't really have a choice. I am almost a month sober going into this program, so I really do hope it helps. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a great experience with OP treatment program. It was not all day; it was designed to be around people's work hours insofar as possible. But it was very intense and a very well-run program.

Along the way they introduced us to AA via a meeting that was held just after one of our sessions ended; that was nice because I had the companionship of my group to ease jitters.

If you go, just have an open mind and an open heart, and you will get the most out of it. We had one group member who was very resistant and even arrogant to the counselor, and he was asked to leave (which for him meant jail time so there was a real consequence).

Some of the conversations and exercises were more valuable than others but overall it was a lifesaver for me. Many good skills and perspectives and techniques. It really opened some doorways of understanding.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gone In

My OP rehab experience was as dawnrunner's (though no one was kicked out in my experience)

Some people came in and did their 90 day obligation to try and get out of whatever trouble they were in, and left without getting much out of it. Most people stuck around for 9 months or more to meet the graduation requirements and do the full program.

You'll get out of it what you put into it, my advice is do the work.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It worked well for me, I went though it and I have been sober for over eight years. The keys for me were: I was extremely motivated to quit, we had a great group and fantastic counselor and as others said, I was willing to be honest and admit weakness over alcohol.

I will never forget my first day after I told my story, I basically broke down and asked the rest of the group for help. That was tough.

Going through the program made me realize that I could not quit on my own and having the support of other people was critical for me.

Dave
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So depends on the person

My husband started out in an OP program that was 5x a week, 4 hours a day. He got to day 60 and fell, crashed is a better word, off the wagon. Within days he went into a 30 day inpatient program. This was after he managed to drink so much that they almost had to intubate him in the ER because he BAC was so high they were afraid of him stopping breathing. I demanded that they detox him in the psych ward as it was obvious he wanted to kill himself. I took him right from there to rehab.There was no choice. If he hadn't he would have had no job or family to go back to. Let's just say it had been a very bad year. That is what he needed. When he left the inpatient he continued as OP and now he "weaned" now to one day a week after 3 months. He goes to AA every day. Back at work from the day he left the rehab and we are working on our marriage. Our teenagers are getting to know their dad again.

This is what worked for him. He needed to be in a controlled enviornment and I needed a mental break from him. I pray everyday that he keeps doing what he is doing.