Notices

needing help finally conquering this

Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

needing help finally conquering this

over the past 4 months i've done coke like 3 times and tripped like once and have finally put a stop to hard drugs and since new years have quit smoking weed since i'll be in the navy on valentines.my final problem is alcohol.i've always never had a firm grasp of my definition of what an alcoholic/addict is.i know as of late drinking has lead to some minor problems and drinking alone has just ended up with me depressed and listening to amy winehouse and i caved and got a half pint tonight and i ended up feeling bad mentally and physically and that was good motivation but i'm having a hard time believing in myself to not drink tomorrow night and so forth and so on.any advice?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i did throw out the final half of my drink which encouraged me
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome that you were strong enough to throw it out.
You made a huge first step.

Try to take it one step and one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow night now. Just concentrate on tonight.
Reading the forums helps me. There is a lot of good info .

Good luck to you!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a poison. You're drinking either because you're intentionally punishing yourself or because you believe there's some benefit to it (stress relief, social lubricant, etc). Write down the reasons why you are drinking and really think about whether or not your reasons have any merit. If you're being honest, you'll see there's literally nothing good about drinking the stuff, especially alone.

If you happen to be under the perception that you're drinking as a stress relief, remember that anything causing you stress will still be there in the morning, along with a hangover.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back wc.

When I wanted to quit, but keep doing the same old things, what I really should have done was reached out to people who could help me.

I didn't.
That kept me drinking for a few more years

My advice would be find more support in your reallife - what have you got to lose?

D
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Write down the reasons why you are drinking and really think about whether or not your reasons have any merit. If you're being honest, you'll see there's literally nothing good about drinking the stuff, especially alone.
The other side of that activity is even more important, I think. Make another list, and this time, write down all the things that you will be able to have, to do, to experience, when you quit this stuff for good. Things like no more depression, reduced anxiety, return of self respect, a memory that works for a change, a willingness to help others, and a happier outlook were things that I knew I could have, starting as soon as I made that choice for good.

Find some good things that will motivate you. Choose them, and so many things about you and your life will almost instantly improve. Good luck, and keep posting.