Notices

worried about xmas and new year

Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

worried about xmas and new year

I think this is the time were most of us are worried bout upcoming xmas and the new year?! I'm scared coz I don't wana drink but what if I have cravings?! I'm hopin before xmas I get a ps3 to keep my mind occupied and my bf said if I have one drink then he's takin me dtraight to rehab and leavin me and he's going to take the children which he will I wouldn't blame him either.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Got an A.A. meeting around someplace? take it One day at a time!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Haven't a clue were the a.a meetings are were I live
Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just because you get a craving, doesn't mean you have to act on it. Most cravings go away. If you get craving to drink, brew a cuppa. Drink that and eat something sweet. By then your craving should pass. They are just thoughts...and if that doesn't work, think about the promise your boyfriend made. He's not dealing with this anymore. Be strong for him and your kids.

You can get through this, Dawnie.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gone In

I was very axious on my first holiday/new years sober. I invested a lot of emotional energy worrying about it. I look back on it now and I wonder, but at the time it was stressful and I can sympathize.

If you don't have a recovery support structure in place, have you thought about going to your bf and telling him how you feel? That you really want to stay sober but you're concerned about the holidays and you need his support.

Don't use him as an excuse to drink but it's nice to have someone in your corner. And Carl's right, cravings usually only last a matter of minutes. You can get through them.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I dunno Dawnie...... If you're an alcoholic, maybe you're right to be concerned. Until I really started dealing with my alcoholism maturely, I was never able to keep myself sober. Working out didn't work, dietary changes didn't work, watching less tv didn't work, deciding to "just not think about drinking ever again" didn't work, etc........ so I don't know if playing PS3 games will work for you but I've never heard of that working for a real alcoholic.

Sometimes I think our fears can be good, or can work to our advantage. They can be warnings to us that we need to step our game up, "or else," yanno? Maybe......perhaps......it's time for you to move sobriety and maintaining it higher up on your list of priorities and look into what else you can/could/should be doing.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Think of the hell you've been through due to the drink, try your best to be grateful for sobriety. Know for certain having a drunken Christmas & New Years is not worth the agony. I occasionally play games on the PC to pass time, there are lots of speaker tapes on xa-speakers (even if you don't like AA they are good).
Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dawnie

I think the first Xmas sober is always a little bit worrying....but I've done 4 now and really you have nothing to fear.

Try to think of it as just another day - you've had loads of days now without drinking - I'm sure you've thought about drinking before and got through the cravings...I'm sure you've been offered drinks before and refused them too, yeah?

Just remember - we;re not like other people - a drink it never just a drink for us, it means so much more to us - a lot of bad stuff...

Remember there's always people here to help you through - and if you want to check out AA just google 'AA and' your home town...you should get something on the first page

D
Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

Xmas, New Years, and any other holiday for that matter are not special occasions to us. We're not like social drinkers who like to get a little faded around these special occasions. Alcoholics drink whenever and where ever, because that's what we do. So think of it as any other day and go on with your day. What do you do when get cravings on a normal day? Maybe you're afraid, because you normally don't have a plan. If that's the case, maybe it's time to develop one.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was a little anxious before my first as well... It had been a long time since I hadn't used Christmas as an excuse to drink. I got a jigsaw puzzle for the family as a gift...we all worked on it during the holidays and it was a great distraction. I had so much fun I bought another one this year.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Are you pregnant, Dawn? Last I read of you you had tested positive and were going to the doctor.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cannot get to regular AA meetings......But do attend the online ones! They are great IMO.
As soon as I want to drink.....I log on for a few minutes, or read some posts on this board....Then I think why not to drink.
Then I remember why I am dong this, because if I drink.... tomorrow I have to start at the beginning again.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
Haven't a clue were the a.a meetings are were I live
Excuses not allowed!