Notices

Difference between "intoxicated" and "drunk"?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difference between "intoxicated" and "drunk"?

Is there a difference between the two? My ex has driven home from parties (even after I offered to come pick him up because I stayed home) after drinking, and when I confronted him about it, and told him he shouldn't drive drunk, he got mad at me and said that he's just a little "intoxicated" and not "drunk". He has been arrested twice for drunk driving. This is the person who dumped me for MY drinking problem (which I have admitted to and am trying to fix).
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no difference in grammar, in definition, or in practice, Fluffernutter,.
Not to put too much of a point on it, but your ex was full of it, IMO.

D
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh geez, no difference. Drunk, intoxicated, buzzed, tipsy, smashed, trashed, hammered, no matter what drunk term is used, its drunk.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! Lord, I almost hope he does get arrested again just so he'll stop doing it. And I know he'll be out drinking more now that we're not together.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I read somewhere that there are several hundred words for vein drunk in the English language. They all mean the same thing
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No difference at all, for your sake I hope he remains an ex, thinking like that isn't good for anyone!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffernutter View Post
Thank you! Lord, I almost hope he does get arrested again just so he'll stop doing it. And I know he'll be out drinking more now that we're not together.
I would stop worrying about him and work on yourself. he's not ready to stop drinking and will try to make every excuse to himself, you and anyone. You are light years ahead of him. believe me, he's not going anywhere but down. 3rd DUI is a 10 year loss of license in your state?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only difference between intoxicated and drunk is in the mind of the intoxicated drunk trying to rationalize his own drinking related behavior.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I would stop worrying about him and work on yourself. he's not ready to stop drinking and will try to make every excuse to himself, you and anyone. You are light years ahead of him. believe me, he's not going anywhere but down. 3rd DUI is a 10 year loss of license in your state?
Yeah, I think so. He actually got out of the second one though, so maybe not. He's still treading a dangerous path. He actually got mad at me for bringing it up the night we broke up (I don't remember this convo, as I was blacked out )
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

don't waste your life/time counting his problems and DUIs. congrats on your quitting and feeling better.