Notices

Can't Drink As Much Anymore....

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Can't Drink As Much Anymore....

I have noticed that my recent bender it took a lot less booze to get me drunk. It was about a pint of Vodka and I was totally smashed. It seems it only takes a few drinks & I will blackout for hours. I'm concerned because I think maybe my liver cant process booze like it use to? I'm on day 4 now & feel much better, however, my detox pills have run out so now the true test will begin. I use to be a very "happy drunk" but now I've become a very "angry drunk" who gets into fights, staggers around town and am a public menace in bars. Just interested if anyone else has experienced reverse tolerance?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's the progression of alcoholism. It always gets worse.

I hope you find a way to find recovery and live an alcohol free life.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just4One,
Reverse tolerance is a dangerous place on the alcoholism progression chart. You might want to see a doctor and get checked out. I hope you have stopped drinking.
Susan Lauren
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

SL, yeah I thought I remembered that is it wasn't a good sign. My liver enymzes were very high at one point. Hopefully, being 90% sober this year has helped my liver but maybe not. 2011 has been my most successful year as far as sobriety goes even with my slips. I have not been in jail, an inpatient rehab or psych ward like I usually am. I also not have resorted to mouthwash or other household type alcohol items to get intoxicated this year. Of course, Nov. and Dec still remains. I'm still waiting to see my new psych doctor and need to get back on my meds for depression/anxiety. It is extremely frustrating dealing with state funded clinics.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I experienced a drop in tolerance and profound personality changes at the end. Something definitely broke inside. I used to be able to drink tons without people noticing, but no more, since I turn into a savage, belligerent a-hole. I'm fairly certain that if I were to drink again and sign on to SR and post I'd be booted in five minutes. Jekyll and Hyde for sure. You need to give up the drink for good, J41, or your body will eventually fail.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also experienced reverse tolerance and severe personality changes at the end of my drinking. I knew that I was very sick at this point and would not make it much longer if I continued. I would literally have a drink and get sick...then drink some more.. pretty sad.
I wish you the best in your journey. You are not alone.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

In the end it only took me a couple of drinks where I used to have a high tolerance. Do yourself a favour and get checked out for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said I experienced reverse tolerance and some pretty startling, even violent, mood changes at the end of my drinking road....I reckon it won't get any better if you keep drinking either...

I hope you're still considering rehab J41.

D
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you everyone. Yes I get some bizarre personality changes also when I consume booze.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

When do you think you will be tired of riding this roller coaster?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does anyone have some good links/books on reverse tolerance? On my latest bender this past week, I've noticed I needed less to get completely hammered. Also...I blacked out EVERY single night. It used to be that I would only black out on the weekends when I hit the bottle harder than weeknights.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
I also experienced reverse tolerance and severe personality changes at the end of my drinking. I knew that I was very sick at this point and would not make it much longer if I continued. I would literally have a drink and get sick...then drink some more.. pretty sad.
I wish you the best in your journey. You are not alone.
Yeah, it sickens me to know that I was taking shots of vodka, puking it up because my body couldn't handle that 20th shot of the day, and then putting more down.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I notice this now with my wife when I first met her she used to put away a 5th of Tequila in one night. She now can only drink about 1/4 that of RUM which is her choice drink now and she is about passed out. She has been drinking for about 20 years I don't think she has gone more then 1 week with out drinking a 5th of something. She had her gall bladder removed about 2 years ago I'm sure it was the drinking seems she only drinks a small amount and she is stumbling around.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
When do you think you will be tired of riding this roller coaster?
Well I've had a pretty good 2011 by my standards regarding addiction. A 2011 that had me sober 90% of the days is pretty darn good. My tells me if a pay for the expensive table that I fell into drunk as a skunk than I can stay. So 2011 will leave without me being homeless, in jail/prison, psych ward or treatment center.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
So 2011 will leave without me being homeless, in jail/prison, psych ward or treatment center.
Y.E.T.

(You're Eligible Too) You just posted about how you are concerned that you are now experiencing reverse tolerance and THEN you post this? Really?

You MIGHT see the end of 2011 but what about 2012? Why not stop and be done with this?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Kelly, I was just stating that that I'm usually spending a significant portion of my time locked up somewhere. I believe if I continue to do what I've been doing the last few days Nov. and Dec will be sober ones. Except for Jan. (I was on a 6week blackout type bender) I have been fairly successful avoiding booze/drugs. Although, I do have to remember I overdosed on heroin in Aug in a one day relapse. That was a pretty bad off day. 320/365 days sober is pretty good for me and I'm proud of myself. And in the end, that's all that matters.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I understand your rationale, but when taken within the context of your latest relapse it just seems that you are already minimizing the consequences that you posted about, forgetting the things you posted just a few days ago on the 11th and since then.

It's your life and your call of course, just voicing concerns. I wish you well and 100% sobriety in the future. With what you posted in your OP here, it sounds like you NEED 100% as anything less will further progress your alcoholism.

Kellye
Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Kellye C View Post
I understand your rationale, but when taken within the context of your latest relapse it just seems that you are already minimizing the consequences that you posted about, forgetting the things you posted just a few days ago on the 11th and since then.

It's your life and your call of course, just voicing concerns. I wish you well and 100% sobriety in the future. With what you posted in your OP here, it sounds like you NEED 100% as anything less will further progress your alcoholism.

Kellye
I echo Kellye's concerns. Sure 320/365 days sober is better than 0/365, but what if you OD again on your next bender and end up dead?

I'm glad you're trying to get sober again now, but I hope you can find a way to make sure that you stay sober for good, and not just hope for the best.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I was charged with my DUI back in 2010, the judge couldn't believe the amount of alcohol in my blood, and I was showing no signs of impairment....I was legally over the limit...but not drunk....most people would have been in a coma....scared me to death..I knew then and there...I was done....scary very scary.....
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never knew a name for it..but yeah..reverse tolerance- it was at that point that I quit the ****