Notices

College and alcoholism

Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

College and alcoholism

Hi all,

Over the last few months I've finally realized and admitted to my self that I have a drinking problem. I don't drink every day, I usually just drink 0-2 times a week. Buuuuut, when I do drink I usually drink until I get wasted. Occasionally I'll be able to control my self, but usually once I get past like 5 beers I don't stop. I've had some amazing times with alcohol, but I've also had some stuff that wouldn't happen to normal drinkers. Like getting arrested for public intoxication and then kicking out the back window of the cop car, while interning for a Congressman in DC over the summer I went clubbing on a Thursday night and woke up on a bench then had to go to work.

Anyway, I know I have to stop drinking. However, I turn 21 in a month and I can't imagine going through 3 more years of college without all the partying. Has anyone here ever recovered while in college?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I didn't start to drink heavily until after college. College was a great experience for me yet I never went to a boozey party.

I knew friends who didn't drink at all too - ever - so I know it's possible

I do know that every campus has AA meetings, counselling etc. Have you checked out whats available leidse?

D
Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i barely made it thru college as the weekends were madness and recovery during the week pre-occupied my thinking.. I still to this day have "flunking" dreams (nightmares)!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're hanging out with drinkers it will seem like everybody drinks, but that's just not true. There are more people who don't drink than those who do, only the drinkers make more 'noise', that's all.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

welcome to the forum , I've never been in college only training (like college) and I used to drink and day after I'd go in rough... Think of the negatives of you being drunk and what stupid stuff you do, for your 21st try going cinema or amusements (somewhere with no alcohol), you can have fun on your bday without bein intoxicated
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

There are a lot of sober groups on most college campuses. The idea that all college students are heavy drinkers is somewhat untrue, in my experience. It's obviously true that alcohol abuse is more common on college campuses, but there certainly are plenty of people who go through college without getting distracted and wasting time on partying.

I've had a very non-traditional college experience, so I don't have any specific tips for you. I really hope that you can find a way to get sober, because otherwise you might be up for several more years of bad decisions that you could otherwise avoid. I quit drinking when I was 17 for about 6 months before getting full bore back into my alcoholism and didn't stop until this last spring at the age of 25. If you know you have a problem you should get sober before it gets even harder.

Best wishes to you in your battle!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

I just turned 24 and am at a major state university working towards my undergrad. Alcohol and drugs had me messing around and dropping tons of classes before I finally got my crap together and enrolled in school full time. The first semester I almost failed out (nearly on academic probation) because I was still drinking. It was really a mess. I finally quit drinking for good over the summer, and this semester is going loads better.

Anyway, i'm not trying to ramble, but I DEFINITELY know what it's like to live on a campus where it seems like alcohol and drugs are THE recreational activities. Everywhere I go I hear kids talking about partying, blacking out, hooking up, trying drugs, etc. I did this all myself (to much, much excess) from about 19-23, but I still feel nostalgic and just a little jealous of the fun other kids are having. Then I think about it again, and I realize just how devastating drugs and booze have been in my life. I crossed a threshold years back that will never allow me to party like a 'normal' college kid, ever again (unless I want some real trouble). It was hard thinking of the years in school not partaking in the party scene, but you know what? I will destroy myself if I do that. It's NOT worth it. Find AA meetings around your campus and I guarantee you will find a group of similar aged kids who are sober. For an addict/alcoholic like myself, it's not enough to have friends that simply don't/have never used/drank (in my opinion), as the connection that addicts have is not there. I don't believe in AA's 12 steps and tend to ignore a lot of the big book stuff, but having a face to face support group is very, very important for a lot of people (myself included). If you ever want to talk more feel free to PM me; please don't destroy your potential and set yourself up for years of misery.