Notices

30 Days Yet Again........

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

30 Days Yet Again........

So this weekend I will have 30 days again. I'm not too proud after being in AA for almost 8 years. I started to see a new therapist & I made it clear that I want help with my mental illness and not substance abuse. I feel that I need to focus on the depression/anxiety that causes me to hit the bottle again.
I did tell her about my history of being a chronic drunk and addict. I will see the new psychiatrist next week and do not want any of my old records (from previous clinic) to be seen. I feel like I need a new start & new direction in recovery. I'm still hitting 3 AA meetings a week & have been attending new meetings. The AA clubhouse I usually attend has had a bit too much drama lately. I am 5'11'' and down to 165 so I'm in good shape with all the biking & running I do. Gonna work on adding muscle now. Just thought I'd give an update.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I started to see a new therapist & I made it clear that I want help with my mental illness and not substance abuse. I feel that I need to focus on the depression/anxiety that causes me to hit the bottle again.
Just a suggestion here. Alcohol is a depressant and known cause of anxiety. Trying to placate the symptoms without addressing the root cause can put you right back into the position you keep finding yourself in the last few years.

If you are spending the time and money to seek assistance from a therapist and psych doc, get your money's worth. Lay it ALL on the table for them and allow them to do what they are trained to do without limitations.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its great you have a clear roadmap in your mind of where you want to be. I'm still working on mine
Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Aeigan, I see what your saying. However, my depression/anxiety actually increases the longer I'm sober. Substance abuse treatment alone is not going to help me achieve long term sobriety. Daily AA meetings alone are not enough either. I am in the best shape I've ever been in since being in the military. I've think I had depression every since grade school even. My new therapist seems sharp & I will have a hard time conning her if I decide to. I use to see my old therapist under the influence at times and feel it was a waste of his and mine time. I would stagger into his office & then deny that I was drunk!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Justfor1,

I wasn't suggesting standalone substance abuse treatment. I was saying that you should allow them to take a wholistic approach. Be honest and upfront with them about your drinking/drug use so that they take everything into account. That means if you show up drunk/high - tell them. If you try to hide that side of the equation, you are not getting to the problem in its entirety and will end up wasting your time and money on a merry-go-round of appointments (and prescriptions).

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 30 days

D
Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Stay on the road to recovery. Obviously quitting isn't your problem, it's staying quit. So what are you going to do differently this time??
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days! Wow, I have not been able to put together more than 3 weeks sober since 2004. Also, very impressed that you are biking and exercising! That's great.