Notices

first day detoxing

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

first day detoxing

hi I'm new here. Its my first time here and I'm scared of the night ahead is it gonna have bad effect on me or is it gonna be ok?! I'm not an everyday drinker I binge drink and its one day on one day off and ill drink at night. But I suffer from anxiety attacks so I get paranoid a lot... I've read loads of other peoples stories about detoxing and they sound so scary and I'm glad you all got through it
Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dawnie
welcome

It's really hard to know - lots of people are ok, but some have problems.
I think the best thing for everyone is to get checked out.

If you're concerned or you feel unwell please seek medical help - even the ER/A&E dept of your local hospital can help, or make an appointment with your own Dr as soon as you can
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Hi dee, I've been doctors afew times they give me antidepressants and a&e as closed. down
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
hi I'm new here. Its my first time here and I'm scared of the night ahead is it gonna have bad effect on me or is it gonna be ok?! I'm not an everyday drinker I binge drink and its one day on one day off and ill drink at night. But I suffer from anxiety attacks so I get paranoid a lot... I've read loads of other peoples stories about detoxing and they sound so scary and I'm glad you all got through it
Detoxing can be scary. If I were you I would see your doctor and get some help with the anxiety problems that you have. I suffer from anxiety too and managing that condition really helps me stay nice and far away from the first drink.

I have two separate conditions that I have to manage properly. For both of them I get help from other people. The two conditions I manage are my alcoholism and my anxiety disorder. These two conditions can really feed off of each other and make life difficult. In short, managing one helps me manage the other.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome dawnie!

I sincerely hope you won't have any serious withdrawal issues, but if you start to feel like things are getting worse, don't hesitate to call someone who can get you to a hospital.

The good news is that a lot of us found our anxiety/depression lifted after we got sober. Keep reading and posting - it makes it so much easier knowing we're not alone and don't have to do this by ourselves.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you will follow up some medical supervision - it's up to you of course but if nothing else it will set your mind at ease, and it will hopefully help with the anxiety and paranoia you spoke about...

I'm not in the UK but even if your local A&E is closed there must be others in your area - or your own Dr?

here's some other UK links for help and support:
Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice

Alcohol services | Alcohol Concern

Find NHS services in your area - NHS Choices

D
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dawnie,

Welcome. Hope you get through this w/medical help!
Please keep us in the loop!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would highly recconmend visiting your GP to discuss a proper detox... I'm not saying you will have complications.. But even if you don't, detoxing with drugs like Chlordiazepoxide just make it sooooo much more comfortable!..

Good luck, hope to see your around the boards.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dawnie...

I am so proud of you for your willingness to change for the better....
I once had a boyfriend who suffered from an anxiety disorder and chose to self-medicate with alcohol...
Unfortunately, anxiety disorders fall under the category of being a depressed condition. Since alcohol is a depressant drug, essentially those who use it for the purposes of calming themselves, only end up feeling worse after the intial effects wear off.
Many times, once the alcohol wears off, the anxiety comes on even stronger and the cycle continues...
But, thank goodness, you have chosen to put an end to that!
Just remember to keep your eye on the prize even when the going gets tough...
You can do it!!!
I wish you the very best of luck on your road to recovery