Notices

Trying to Keep it Together

Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Keep it Together

Hi. I am recovering addict, actually in my mind recovered. Got clean in January of 2007 and have not used since. Severed all my relationships, isolated myself and for the most part got my life together and doing ok.

However I have made several mistakes, which are relapses - but they all have been with alcohol. Easier to get my hands on a bottle, I guess. Last December, almost a year ago now, I woke up in a jail cell in protective custody. Apparently a neighbor of mine found me in a snowbank between my apartment and the bar down the street. I lost two days of memory.

Before and since I tried to just be a normal drinker but I think I have replaced one substance with another. I don't have friends and my personal life is very solitary and a bit lonely, but my professional life is really great and I am making a lot of progress. I want to go to a meeting, but I think I have to go somewhere far away where no one will know me. I know my job will suffer if I drink and I am afraid it will suffer if I seek help locally. Does anyone have this issue? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i went to my first few meetings a few towns over just to feel more comfortable. You learn quickly that the Anonymous part of AA is something that is taken seriously. I have ran into people in town that i have seen at meetings and they dont acknowledge me simply for that reason. If the next town is far away, i wouldnt sweat going to the one locally.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LoneHistoric

I think it's very easy to become addicted to something else - I did it myself.
I figure now the problem was me rather than the drugs I took or the booze I drank...

I don't have any personal experience with AA but I know a lot of people from all walks of life use it - from Mr Everyman to some celebrities.

It's not the only approach tho - there are many non 12 step programmes too. Here's some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

The problem with geographic cures is that wherever I go, there I am.

I use a 12 step program. It might or might not help you. Today I know where to go and I have friends and/or people who care.

My drug of choice is alcohol, but it never stopped me from doing drugs. Just to get out of my own way. It all worked until it didn't work. My real bottom was being emotionally empty.

In 5 months, I'm no longer empty.

I wish you well!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't do 12 step four years ago (almost five now, Wow). Went through withdrawal on my own which is still a nightmare, although strangely puts all my suffering since in better perspective. I did go into therapy for a little while, but I can't afford it.

Meetings seem like my only choice, and I think I need it. Problem is I live in a VERY close-knit community and the gossip travels like wildfire. Everybody knows everything. I can't afford to drive miles and miles either. I really appreciate the support here, though. Thanks.