Notices

How to have just a few?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Trial and error has taught me that I cannot limit myself. If I could have, I would have. I would rather not touch the stuff than take that risk again.

I am a weekend binge drinker and have been sober for 8 days. I tried switching to beer, only bringing out enough money for a few drinks, etc. and nothing has worked. I still continued to drink too much and hurt myself and others. You are probably on the right path thinking you may need to quit altogether.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned, one sure way to see if you can limit your drinking is to try it. Moderation Management and HARM Reduction network are a couple of resources that you could try. They will provide limits based upon your body weight, sex, that kind of thing.

I guess, for me anyways, the question wasn't could I limit my intake to 3-4 drinks . . . I could. It was would I be happy doing so? And, for me, the answer was no. I usually wanted more. That is how I determined that drinking wasn't a good idea for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
As others have mentioned, one sure way to see if you can limit your drinking is to try it. Moderation Management and HARM Reduction network are a couple of resources that you could try. They will provide limits based upon your body weight, sex, that kind of thing.

I guess, for me anyways, the question wasn't could I limit my intake to 3-4 drinks . . . I could. It was would I be happy doing so? And, for me, the answer was no. I usually wanted more. That is how I determined that drinking wasn't a good idea for me.
I echo what RU said very well.

I found that the hassle and baggage that came along with moderation wasn't worth in the log run. It is so much easier just not having any at all. After a while the desire to drink fades.

Good luck,
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Trying to moderate and manage still keeps alcohol central in life, no matter how much one actually drinks on any given occasion. No thanks for me, too much work.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The physical, mental and emotional effort I put into moderating my drinking was exhausting. It was a constant battle every single night and took even more effort and management than just drinking myself into a stupor, so I would just think 'eff it, I can't be bothered with this'. Every. Single. Night.

The point of alcohol for me was that it made me less inhibited, less rational, more impulsive. So two glasses in there was no way I would turn back - way too late for all that rational thinking. The booze had done it's work on my resolve.

The only way to avoid all of that was to not even pick up the first glass. I'm very nearly six months sober and so glad to be that way. Nowadays I have so much room in my head for things that really matter to me. The energy I used for drinking is now going towards many more productive and healthy thoughts. I can't even begin to tell you how life changing it's been for me, my friends and family, and my self esteem.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic I could limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks a night, as long as I could control the portion size.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How to have just a few? I don't know. That is why i don't have any. I think the only people who can answer that question for you are normies, or non-alcoholics.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What is interesting is that different countries have different standards of what moderate drinking means. In America, moderate drinking is 1-2 drinks a day for men. In Britain, it is 3-4 drinks a day for men. But Britain is one of the drunkest countries on earth, much moreso than the U.S. in general.

Drinking & You - what is Moderation?

Why are you Brits such DRUNKS?, asks one American writer | Mail Online

All in all, if you can only control your drinking some of the time, you probably shouldn't drink at all. I have spent years trying to drink moderately on a regular basis. I can maybe drink a few beers a few times a year, but I can't do it on a weekly basis without way over-drinking becoming drunk on a weekly basis.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
As an alcoholic I could limit myself to 1 or 2 drinks a night, as long as I could control the portion size.
Me to. 1 or 2 would be about right if the portion size was 55 gallon drums.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by stryfe
In Britain, it is 3-4 drinks a day for men.
ah...the wording from the NHS is actually

NHS recommendations for lower risk drinking state that:

* men should not exceed 3-4 units a day on a regular basis
* women should not exceed 2-3 units a day on a regular basis

However, drinking consistently within these limits is called 'lower-risk', rather than 'safe', because drinking alcohol is never completely safe.

Lower-risk drinking means that you have a low risk of causing yourself future harm.

Even drinking below these levels will not be advisable in some circumstances. Any drinking can still be too much if you’re driving, operating machinery, about to go swimming or engaging in strenuous physical activity.

The risks of drinking too much - Live Well - NHS Choices
These are numbers for the general population and they're guidelines. Interestingly, your first link above cites lower levels more in line with international standards.

Of course, I believe for any of us reading this, the only safe number is zero

D
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
So started out with a post about my drinking problem. I saw a comment about, if i had made and effort to actually limit my self? So i got to thinking, have I? I sort of had made some weak efforts to limit my self. Most notably promising my wife i would only have a few. but that's probably were selfishness (once i start) prevents me from doing what i said i would do. I need to do this for me if i am going to fight the selfishness.

I need something more concrete and i want to know if i can indeed control my self or not. if not then i will have to 100% cut my self off from alcohol. But, now as i write this i feel as if this is me digging for excuses to drink is that bad?

That's not so much what i am looking for but i know that if i go to some party or get together with beer there i will might have a drink. I just want to make a plan to limit my self. Some ideas to keep me from going to far.

Obviously people are allowed to have a few drinks. Though from what i have read alcoholics cant control it once they start.

Anyone have any ideas? or is me trying to make a plan a real indicator that i just shouldn't touch the stuff.
Personally speaking, i can go weeks without drink, and indeed have to with work. When i do lift that first glass though. i know thyere is a high possibility of ending in A+E or police custody. Why do i still do it? I don't know. Just recently stopped for 6 weeks and got the old voice telling me 'you'll be fine having a few'. Need to stop. Working on it.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I used to worry about whether I could cut back to "just a few" but after an extended period of sobriety I'm finding that I have no interest in alcohol in moderation.

It tastes bad, it's expensive, and it has all kinds of unpredictable effects (including depression). There's really nothing all that great about it even in small doses.