Notices

Anxiety

Old 10-02-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Does anybody have any tips on healthy ways to deal with anxiety during recovery?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take multi vitamins, drink tons of water and try to exercise. My anxiety keeps me in the house some days. Getting out is always good for you.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats something I dont mention much but it's there, I guess for me I allow my mind to wonder what might happen and thats not always good.

Just remember that todays the tomorrow that you were worried about yesterday...
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Does exercise have a fairly immediate effect?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Time For A Change. It isn't even mental anxiety, it's just physical. I try to find what I'm afraid of but there's nothing to attach it to.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Physical anxiety? what exactly is that....? normally id suggest talking to someone about whats going on with you....
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My job is in construction, I worked late all week and when I allow myself to rest I get uptight and sore, a lazy weekend sometimes isn’t a good way for me to deal with it, it ends up making me feel down, it's actually better for me to keep moving somehow, and not getting to this point of fatigue in the first place, not sure if this is in anyway related to your issue but just thought I'd mention it.

Staying sober can definitely bring challenges but it’s worth it I think…

A doctor may be a good idea if you are having physical issues...
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brockant, by "physical anxiety" I mean that I know intellectually that I have nothing to worry about but still have a general feeling of anxiety that is obviously caused by the lack of alcohol. I was just looking for ways of dealing with it without drinking.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unger894 View Post
Brockant, by "physical anxiety" I mean that I know intellectually that I have nothing to worry about but still have a general feeling of anxiety that is obviously caused by the lack of alcohol. I was just looking for ways of dealing with it without drinking.
in my experience exercise has helped tremendously but only when i manage to clear my head for about 5 minutes before i start. Otherwise I end up drumming up more angry "in my head" anxiety while I work out.

I have found that my anxiety is also a physical pain, but is relieved by getting out of my head just the same. Breathing slowwwwwwwly helps with heart palpitations.

Gratitude relieves a noisy head - it may sound cheesy but it's true. A gratitude list may help with the physical pain, it definitely helps with the anxious and depressed burning in my stomach that i get when i am not in a good state of mind (read: when i'm in my head).

and, of course, not drinking is a big help because my drinking in the long run created more anxiety than i realized i could create for myself and others.

Way to go, reaching out for help is also a great way to relieve it...congrats!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I get anxious I like to take my dogs for a long walk. The exercise calms me down and just getting out of the house and watching the dogs be themselves makes me feel more peaceful. Walking is a good exercise cause it's not hard on the knees like running and can be done at a leisurely pace.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Thanks for the advice everyone! I love taking my dog for walks and I agree that it helps but unfortunately (actually, fortunately) she's very old and I have to limit the lengths of her walks. Great idea though. It will help.
She just lost the sight in one of her eyes and We're taking her in tomorrow morning for an injection that will stop any pain she might be feeling. I just keep telling myself, "You've gotta be really lucky to be really old."
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get the lack of things to worry about...usually I could manufacture something to worry about...usually having to do with my recovery...im not doing it right, this isnt working, im not like others.....the list goes on.

Third step practice has helped with this turning over my will(my desire's/what I want) and my life(whats renting space in my head) I would say to god at this point however it may be best just to take this to a meeting. Tell people whats going on and how it makes me feel (my will and my life). To the care of the group.

When I was new I practiced this selfishly. The fact is that I would feel better after sharing/getting advice. I happen to know a thing or two about how to use things to make myself feel better (drugs and alcohol). I applied this to my program.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unger894 View Post
Does exercise have a fairly immediate effect?
Definitely does for me.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Ten Ways to Stop Anxiety Quickly

1. Inhale Peace of Mind, Exhale Anxiety

Your breathing and your emotions closely mirror one another. Anxiety always makes your breath cycles become shorter and shallower. Fortunately, you can also dissipate your anxiety by paying attention to your lungs and inducing deep breaths.

Start noticing the connection between how you breathe and how you feel; you’ll reach surprising conclusions!

Also, use this simple technique next time your anxiousness is on the rise. You can do it anywhere you go and its effects can be astounding:

Inhale slowly and deeply from your nose. Be gentle, don’t force the air in.
When your lungs are full, don’t breathe out right away; take a small pause.
As your lungs begin to struggle to release the air trapped inside, start releasing it slowly and steady through your lips, making a slight sound.

Repeat these 3 steps at least 10 times in a row – it won’t take more than 5 minutes, so just relax and focus on the air coming in and out. Breathe deeply into the abdomen; make each breathing cycle a little slower than the last, and when you’re done you will feel much better.

2. Find Someone Friendly and Talk

Being overtaken with anxiousness, you’re likely to lose your sense of perspective; things will always seem worse than they really are, magnified with the lens of anxiousness.

This is something you can avoid quite easily: just find someone you can freely talk with, and share your worries and troubles. A good and supportive friend can be extremely valuable, in helping you expel anxiousness from your mind.
Having good friends whom you can trust and confide in is extremely important. But if you don’t have anyone available to talk with, don’t let it deter you: find a priest, a minister or a rabbi… or just talk with a friendly stranger who comes across your way. It’s not like you have anything to lose, except your anxiety!

3. Engage Some Aerobic Action

Living with anxiety, your levels of adrenaline are likely to be too high; that will make your heart race faster, and also make you feel tense and uptight.

The best way to put that adrenaline to good use is doing aerobic exercises! Just get up and go for a long, fast walk; do some jogging, play tennis or soccer… dance! There are many aerobic activities available, so choose whichever you like best. Do whatever it takes to dissipate the anxiousness building up in your body and mind.

Besides wearing off your adrenaline, aerobic exercises also help normalizing your breathing… which in turn will also contribute towards alleviating anxiousness. Getting regular physical exercise is a must, for people suffering from anxiety.

4. Learn How to Relax Your Body

Have you noticed how your inner tension makes your body get tight as well? Sometimes you can reverse this process, much to your advantage: relax your body and your mind will follow. Here are some ideas you can use to achieve quick physical relaxation:

Fill your bathtub, get some bath salts, soak in for a good while.
Splash your body with cold water; then take a hot, steamy shower.
Enjoying a good massage, either from a person or an electronic device.
Have a nap; just lying down for a while will make you feel much more relaxed.

5. Use Kava Kava to Induce Relaxation

There are several herbal teas which can be used to great effect, in terms of reducing anxiousness. However, many people agree that the single most potent herbal remedy to alleviate anxiety is Kava Kava.

Some people find this herbal medicine works just as effectively as some prescription drugs which they also take; needless to say, the chances of getting addicted to an herbal tea are much lesser, though.

Some guidelines to keep in mind while purchasing kava kava: try to get it from a reputable healthy food store, and check the label to make sure it’s pure. If you’re still taking prescription drugs, it might be wise consulting with your doctor, to know if there may be adverse reactions.

6. Learn How to Trick Your Anxious Thinking

Your anxiety doesn’t just come out of the blue; when you have anxiety attacks, it’s the result of a long-winded spiral of negative thoughts. Sometimes you can keep anxiety at bay by closely watching your thoughts and learning how to dismiss certain triggers that will usually make you feel anxious.

When you realize you’re worried about something, or when you notice some anxious thoughts creeping into your mind, try to confront those thoughts before they get too strong. In other words, try to use your intelligence to nourish positivity in your thinking and avert anxiety. Ask yourself questions such as:

Is there a chance I’m blowing this worry/fear out of proportion?
Is this a sound reasoning, when confronted with actual evidence?
This seems terrible now, but will it still seem terrible a year from now?
Am I just making up reasons to keep feeling anxious and distraught?

Try to think of other questions that you can use to disrupt your anxious thinking modes. Posing these questions to yourself might be all it takes to kick-start your rational mode, and keep you from getting caught up in the throes of anxiousness.

7. Listen to Some of Your Favorite Music

Have you ever heard of music that soothes the beast? Well, there is also music that soothes your inner beast: anxiety. Try listening to different kinds of music to know what works best for you.

For some people, listening to relaxation music or soothing natural sounds does the trick. For others, singing along to their favorite death metal / gangsta rap record is a sure-shot way to exercise their inner demons.

Try listening to different types of music, in various sound levels, at various places. Learn how to use music to manage your surges of anxiety.

8. Find Some Pleasant Distractions

As a general rule, you don’t want to be distracted from your anxiety. Rather you want to embrace it, and try to understand its causes, so you can break them down in smaller, manageable bits.

However, finding distractions can be a good way to avert anxiousness, in moments where you really need some peace of mind. You should think of these distractions a mere bandage though, not as permanent cure. These are just some ideas you may want to try: Read a good book or watch an exciting movie; turn on your TV set and let your mind get numb; play some video games; paint a picture; try doing some manual activities (anything from crochet to modeling or book-binding).

9. Get Some of That Sexual Healing

In moments of increased anxiety, you won’t always be able to engage sexual activities. However (and provided you have a willing and available partner), it’s definitely worth trying! Sometimes having sex is the best, most pleasurable way to find refuge from anxiety… not to mention it’s also a good aerobic exercise.

Some things to keep in mind, though: if you’re usually anxious and nervous about your sexual performance, this probably won’t work. Unless you do it exclusively because you enjoy it and it helps you commune with the other person, having sex won’t help you manage your levels of anxiety.

10. Embrace the Here and Now

What’s going on in your mind? What is the source of all your tension and worrying at the moment? If you stop to consider these questions, sometimes you’ll realize you’re feeling oppressed with mere ideas and suggestions… terrible things that haven’t actually happened and probably won’t ever happen.

Quite often, our mind gets caught up in negative cycles because we’re not focused on the here and now. Remember, worrying about a problem and finding solutions to a problem are entirely two different things.

Make sure you’re not wasting your energies worrying just for the sake of it… that’s what most people do, not just anxiety sufferers. Our ability to think is what makes the human race so special, but when you’re always over-thinking things, it turns into a bad habit!

In such occasions, make sure focus on nothing except what’s around you: the here and now. That’s the only place and time where you can really make a difference!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Calm Clinic

This is the website I found the information in the previous post. I went back through to make sure it wasn't a 'charge' thing...really reading some good stuff there.
In this website, you will find all the information you need to start managing your anxiety, completely free. There is plenty of information here that will make a positive impact on your life, provided you read it and use it! Make sure to bookmark this website for future reference.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
abc

Walking and/or biking definitely helps for me. If I don't go for a walk I will pace in my apartment for hours. Seriously.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Posts have been removed from this thread why?
Here is our SR Rule

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Please do not be specific when posting....:
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Gr8ful's post above seems to have every possible solution I could think of.

Keep in mind that if anxiety doesn't go away you may wish to talk to your doctor about it.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by gr8ful42day View Post
Ten Ways to Stop Anxiety Quickly
5. Use Kava Kava to Induce Relaxation

There are several herbal teas which can be used to great effect, in terms of reducing anxiousness. However, many people agree that the single most potent herbal remedy to alleviate anxiety is Kava Kava.

Some people find this herbal medicine works just as effectively as some prescription drugs which they also take; needless to say, the chances of getting addicted to an herbal tea are much lesser, though.

Some guidelines to keep in mind while purchasing kava kava: try to get it from a reputable healthy food store, and check the label to make sure it’s pure. If you’re still taking prescription drugs, it might be wise consulting with your doctor, to know if there may be adverse reactions.
[B]
Please be aware:

Kava is a mind-altering, mood-chaning chemical (a drug) widely known for its "legal high." Due to its dangerous side-effects, Kava has been banned in several countries. As such, I would not take or recommend this to anyone in recovery, considering it to be a potential danger to any alcoholic/addict with a desire to be sober.

Wikipedia: Kava

Kava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Medical literature sometimes claims Kava has a "potential for addiction" because "it produces mild euphoria and relaxation."[16] In a traditional setting, a moderately potent kava drink causes effects within 20–30 minutes that last for about two and a half hours, but can be felt for up to eight hours. Some report longer term effects up to two days after ingestion, including a feeling of mental clarity, patience, and an ease of acceptance. The effects of kava are most often compared to alcohol, or diazepam."

Wikipedia: List of herbs with known adverse effects

List of herbs with known adverse effects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SIU
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

for me, diversion was the #1 thing that made the anxiety go away. There's an old saying. "Idle hands are the devil's playground". That tells me that if i'm not doing something pretty much all of the time that my mind starts to wander and creates things ...unhealthy things to obsess or be anxious about.

the biggest way to combat this imo is to find a new hobby. I've always said, you never really get over addiction, you just replace the unhealthy one with one that's more healthy.

for me, it's been painting, drawing and restoring muscle cars. i would have gone $hit crazy if i hadn't had those in my life.

So...find something new to obsess over.

hope you feel better soon.