Notices

Ramping down

Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ramping down

I had been sober for over 10 years and fell off the wagon a year ago with just 1 beer, which turned back into a 12 pack a day and then up to 15 if not more. Waking up I realized my problem was right back where it was I made my mind up to quit again - I'm totally dedicated to this but I'm having morning problems.
I don't have insurance or a job, so a doctor isn't in my plan - I'm doing this on my own and proudly have cut back to 5 or so beers a day, watching the clock like a fiend and trying not to break my own rules of ramping down. My intent is to totally quit again in the shortest amount of time so I can get my own life back. My problem is mornings. I wake up shaking and sit in this chair to try and cool out but my heart palpitates so badly that I need a beer and .5mg of xanax to ease it. It scares the daylights out of me because I had a heart attack about 5 yrs ago, and I don't want to die on my wife. This morning I made it till 7am before I had to run to the fridge for a beer and the pill bottle again. Today I'll again go through the same ritual of watching the clock and not drinking a beer until my heart starts racing again and I get scared. AA isn't much of an option for me either, as I lost my faith several years ago. I just don't know how to get beyond this point - this is NOT good enough for me. I want OFF this crap! Can anyone suggest something besides xanax for the banging heart problem? I can't deal with it, and honestly I'm scared to pieces.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, oldtek. That's really rough. We're not allowed to give out medical advice here, nor should you take any. It's dangerous to make assumptions about health or medications based on what someone else did, since every situation is different. And with your heart issues, all the more so.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if you're able to buy beer every day, you're able to make monthly installments on a payment plan with a doctor. We're talking about your safety and your happiness—what's more important than that?

The thing you will find here is a lot of support. You will find many who were every bit as scared as you, and every bit as addicted, yet found a way out.

AA is just one of the paths folks here have taken. Here's a link to some of the other options:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 10-01-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oldtek, can you go to the hospital emergency room as soon as you get up in the morning and tell them what is happening? They can advise you what help is available to you and perhaps point you in the direction of some county health assistance. Don't fool around with your heart!!

Best wishes to you for getting back to sanity and good health.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Not medical advice, but on a practical note, why not put on a comfortable pair of walking shoes and stretch your legs in the morning. Just a walk that will allow you to contemplate the world around you and what a magnificent place it is.

Leave your watch at home; you won't be so tempted to be waiting for a certain time and what you think you have to do. I used to do this when I first stopped drinking because I had conditioned myself, like Pavlov's dogs to expect something, in my case "cocktail hour" and I found that altering the pattern allowed me to eventually alter my life.

The advice to drop by the emergency room may be something you should consider as well. I am not suggesting this regimen as a medical solution, however a well paced and non strenuous walk usually has a myriad of benefits for body and mind. Sometimes it can even bleed over into the soul as well when I find myself grateful for the world around me and all the choices that I sometimes forget that I have.

Best wishes,
Jon
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The pills you are taking are rarely used for alcohol detox. I can't tell you which ones are used on account of the "no medical advice" rule, even though alcohol detox is completely standardized and everyone who has ever been through detox already knows what they are, but Google "alcohol detox protocol" to get the proper method. You'll notice that your chosen pill is not listed, for good reason.

I do find it rather interesting that you are asking about different medications without having insurance and flat out stating that a doctor is not in your plan, though. I can assure you that the corner drug dealer is not the best option for this. A proper alcohol taper script will cost you less than you are spending on booze in a week, and probably less than from any connection you might have.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Where are you getting the drug? You could call that doctor and ask for his advice.

Mixing it with alcohol is dangerous...regardless of your heart attack.

The Salvation Army has free de tox facilties in many areas.
They monitor your vitals while you are withdrawing.

Use an ER or call 911 ..you could save your life
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I was usually given Librium/Valium for my many medical detoxes. They are longer acting benzos that were necessary the last 10 times or so I detoxed in the hospital. It is never a good idea to mix a benzo with booze. The combination can be very dangerous. With or without insurance the ER will take you because your blood pressure is probably high. Go to a good hospital & demand that you need to detox properly.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd like to thank everyone that replied. I ended up finding something that my old doc prescribed to me that was just past expiration. I looked it up with the word 'expired' on google and found a reputable website that told me it was safe, and it was used to control heart rate so I popped one. It felt so good that I missed my next beer and drank the next one terribly slowly and holy crap - what a ride - I started withdrawal. not wanting to miss my chance I set the beer aside and thanks to ramping down my nightmare lasted about 13 hours.. the rest of the 24 hour period wasn't so good, but it was tolerable. Now I'm in super drift mode and while yes, I'm running into walls and putting on my shoes before my pants, I'm detoxing! You all are wonderful people, and it was the suggestions of seeing a doc and not asking about meds that made me look at what I already had, but had forgotten about. THANK YOU!! I've set the Xanax aside too cause it affects the same department alcohol does - that's why I couldn't get under the 5 beer thing. Life is already looking better