Notices

Please talk me out of it!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Please talk me out of it!

It's happening at this very moment. I'm completely aware of it, yet it's still so hard to ignore. The voice, the obsession, the very strong desire to have a drink. No real trigger, nothing bad in my day...
This is my normal drinking time, and it's been 6 days. Wednesdays or Thursdays are typical drinking days for me, one or the other, not sure why. Nobody would really notice or care tonight, I usually just play online, chat with friends, get out of my head for a bit, I enjoyed that. 99.9% of the time it is uneventful. But the fact is, every time I do it, I'm poisoning myself and I feel it horrible the next morning. I don't have 1 or 2, I have 6 or 7+. There are really SO many reasons why I need to quit, so why am I entertaining the idea of taking a drive out right now? UGH, I hate it!!! I just want to scream or cry.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look past today. Maybe even past next week, next month. Yea it is gonna suck a little, or a lot... If you want to quit drinking, detach from this desire... Or ... Suck it up .... Whatever suits your personality.

You can do it!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You are either committed to staying sober or you aren't. Why not look for a meeting tonight. Do something that is not conducive to drinking. You can do it if you really want to.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It will pass if you dont give in to it. Try eating something - that usually makes the cravings pass. Think about how fantastic you will feel in the morning not having given in to it.

I have been where you are now many times. Somehow I have got to the stage where I am able to beat the cravings and nearly 4 months sober now - before I couldnt get to two weeks. It does get easier - you get stronger every time you manage not to give in to that voice telling you to drink. That is not your rational brain talking it is your addiction - beat it off!

Good luck I sincerely hope for the best for you and that you make it to bed sober - you will feel so happy when you wake.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always find reading my earlier posts would help me remember what was at stake
This technique was useful to me too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Y&T. That's not you talking—that's the addiction. It wants you to drink. But it can't make you lift a glass to your lips, much less purchase the booze. You call all the shots. You get to decide how you want to spend the rest of your life—a slave to that voice, or master of your own future.

It's hard now, I know. But it gets easier. The longer you stay sober, the stronger you get, and the weaker that voice becomes. Hang in there. Dee's technique is a great one to help you ride through until the urge passes.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
heartofamama

dear friend,
God's strength is there 4 u no matter what.
He's seen us @ our worst, & knows every thought we've had,
yet all of it together-- puts not even a dent in His Love 4 us.
the reason He is free 2 adore us that way is because 2000 yrs ago--
God's Son Jesus took our place-- & bore our sins, our sorrows & griefs.
we needed a Savior 4 sure, &our only chance was 4 God Himself 2 supply our dire need.
there's a lot of conflicting religious junk in the world, but none of it has 2 do with Jesus.
religion is a distraction from the beautiful simplicity of the Gospel,
Gospel means: 'Good News', & that describes God's plan of Salvation perfectly.
it's Good News indeed that we're not saved by our own works or self righteousness--
(nobody would make it that way).
the Good News is that a true fellowship & personal relationship with our creator God
is available now that Jesus has taken the whole sin burden of all mankind.
my past, present, & future sins are already paid 4 by Jesus precious Blood:
His Blood covering over me is timeless & eternal, Jesus overpaid my debt & Saved
me both eternally, & now (in this world). friends DON'T WAIT 2 partake of God's Gift.
Jesus alone is God's choice 4 man's salvation Way-- no one else.
like it or not--There's one God & YOU'RE NOT HIM.
so enjoy the generosity of God in Jesus Christ. to discover Jesus is to live well.
my heartfelt blessings from mama in new york
Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do truly want a sober life. I want to be free of this mental torture. I hate how I feel in the morning, physically I have no energy, no motivation, and my head aches for most of the day. Mentally, I'm massively depressed and teary the next day, sometimes even into the day after that. I have regrets sometimes of forgetting to say good-night to my kiddos. The list is long why I need to do this. Thank-you all for the quick responses, I'm glad I came here, I will be popping on all evening. Thanks for the link Dee. I'm drinking coffee at the moment, not the best choice I know but I love my coffee...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love my coffee, too. It's the one drug that never did me wrong.

I have so many regrets. I think everyone does—it's part of what leads us into recovery. But I bet soon you'll start feeling something else: hope. And a renewed sense of pride. You'll pat yourself on your back, and deservedly so. I still get a twinge of regret now and then, but mostly when I think about past mistakes, I feel a deep sense of gratitude to have escaped that horrible cycle.

You and your kids are going to be so glad you did this!
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There's nothing wrong with coffee, especially if it keeps you from drinking things you shouldn't.

What you are feeling is very common in early recovery. You should start feeling better in a few more days. The more you deny that alcoholic voice, the easier it will be. You can do this!
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You'll make it if you are ready to fight. Because that's what it is--a fight between your rationial mind and your addicted mind. You can beat it! But you have to be strong. If you give in, you will never know if you were 5 minutes away from the cravings passing.

Hang out here at SR, we are here for you.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup - that drinkin mind. If you can recognize it, you've won half the battle. I am on Day 10 and feel ten times better than I did on Day 6. Try going uptown and buying some new drinks you like (not alcoholic of course). I have found that I really like grapefruit juice (the kind you buy in the refrigerator section) combined with lemon/lime sparkling water - for fizz. For some reason, this totally satisfies me when I feel I should reach for a drink. I tell myself, too, that I need my brain. I want it to be clear and crisp 24/7.
You can do it! Don't give up!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yup - that drinkin mind. If you can recognize it, you've won half the battle. I am on Day 10 and feel ten times better than I did on Day 6. Try going uptown and buying some new drinks you like (not alcoholic of course). I have found that I really like grapefruit juice (the kind you buy in the refrigerator section) combined with lemon/lime sparkling water - for fizz. For some reason, this totally satisfies me when I feel I should reach for a drink. I tell myself, too, that I need my brain. I want it to be clear and crisp 24/7.
You can do it! Don't give up!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you decided against drinking tonight.. Nobody has ever regretted NOT drinking..
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank-you all. I am ready to fight this.
I just typed out a long post and it wouldn't go through, not sure if it was on my end or the forum. Anyway, it made me frustrated, and I'm too tired to retype it.
I am glad I spent my evening here, it certainly helped, and I will go to bed sober tonight.
And I will be So happy in the morning. Thank-you again.