Notices

How...

Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How...

... are you staying sober today?

It is a beautiful day where I live, and, of course, I will be on my bike for a little while. I have a busy day and I try to approach it with a positive attitude. I am reminding myself to consider the needs of others around me, especially my wife. I am reading and posting on SR. I will, above all, try to maintain contact with my higher power.

oh yea, I won't drink.

You?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just shared on the Morning Gratitude Forum...something I usually do...

I've had breakfast...prayer and ready to begin another blessed day.

At noon I will be at an AA meeting followed by fellowshipping and catching up with friends/members...

I absolutely will not drink today...unless you coun water and Iced Tea..

Who would like to share next on this positive thread?

Last edited by CarolD; 09-16-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trying to maintain contact with my HP today too. I lost the contact yesterday, big time. I felt irritable and just generally "unwell" starting in the afternoon going into the night. I lost the peace and serenity that I had really tapped into the last couple of months and I felt completely lost without it. I wanted to drink BAD to calm these bad feelings.

It was a really frustrating day for me. I re-did my 4th/5th steps with my new sponsor 3 months ago and found true peace in my life for the first time in my memory. I lost it yesterday and it scared the hell out of me.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Frust ... I know what you mean, the serenity after the 4th and 5th... yep...

And then having a day where I lose it, yes I know that too. I shared that exact thing last nite at my 3 year celebration. A guy with many years reminded me ... when that happens, nothing else helps as well as work with another alcoholic... I expand that to Boy Scouts and some other service I do.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't gotten to the "working with others" phase yet. Was thinking of taking my lunch hour to head over to a meeting at the rehab center over lunch, there are always lots of newcomers there.

It really scared me - I felt like I lost a really stable and "needed" part of my life last night. Still don't have it back completely this morning.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So.. Going to a meeting at the rehab? Awesome! Tell us if it helped when you get back.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Mark75...I now see your sober date: 9/14/08....CONGRATULATIONS ON 3YRS!!!!

Today, on my 41st day of sobriety, I will venture into the 12 & 12, to review the chapter on the 4th step. I will likely attend a 12&12 meeting tonight, and, I hope to see my sponsor there. It's a beautiful day here as well, so I may be able to take a bike ride as well. Stay sober!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today i will start a weekend of intensive prayer and meditation as my kids will be with their dad. Today, i will attend a noon AA meeting, my home group, my fellowship. Today, i will spend some time working out. Today, i will be available and reach out to anyone who asks for help. Today, i will try to stay present. And by Grace of God (my HP), today, i will not drink.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Meditation this morning to reflect on my feelings...walk in Audubon Park with my dog and a friend after work...quiet evening at home with a good movie, a good book and take out from my favorite restaurant. In short, I'm nurturing and taking care of myself. And not using drugs or alcohol to do so
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

By not drinking.

Other things I am doing today: walking, reading, reading SR, sorting out paperwork and cooking. This evening: shower and some DVDs and herbal teas. Early night.

BB
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woke up, helped the wife with the kids for school, worked out then showered and went to work, took some co workers out to lunch to thank them for a project they helped me with (great new Greek restaurant) now reading a little SR before a conference call then watch one of the kids sports then to visit my folks for the weekend.. I will not drink, but I am looking forward to a cigar at the end of the day and reading some.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The meeting helped a little. Talked about letting go and turning things over and not being in the drivers seat, which I needed. Raised my hand when the chair asked for willing sponsors but didn't get to talk to anyone afterwards. Still a good meeting though and will keep me on the right track.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was offered a beer and said no without hesitation today. A word I am not used to hearing associated with beer.

I'm not really sure why the answer came so easy as the impulses over the last two years have been nothing near easy. I just happen to be on an upswing and the idea of taking up the offer was remote. I am enjoying a nice dark roast coffee as I type this.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welp, I'll still on a "High" from last night's meeting. I'm at work and never really drank at work unless I was sure I could get away with it and I'm chairing another meeting tonight.

Too freaking busy to worry about drinking.

Oh, I'm on my bike too
Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by frustriert
Haven't gotten to the "working with others" phase yet.
You've got it wrong frust...by posting here you are "working with others". Sharing has value.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I work on my sobriety today, and every day, by taking the best possible care of my beloved dogs. I spoil them rotten and take care of their health needs. I love them all the time, contantly petting or giving tummy rubs. I so enjoy seeing them enjoying their lives. Makes me feel on top of the world.

It does wonders for my sobriety too cause of their good health and happy dispositions. That's cause of me! My care of them means they've got it made in the shade. And it's all because I'm sober!! When I was drinking their care was hit or miss, but now I'm right on top of things. I'm not too drunk or too sick to notice how they're doing. It means the world to me to be a good dog mom, so living sober is my first priority.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Ah! I celebrated the gift of my sobriety in several ways today--of course, first always by not drinking and expressing my gratitude that I don't need to drink.

Today, I had two meetings with two different sponsees, one in person and one via email (it was a looong email).

I practiced the first step with my youngest son, acknowledging that my idea of his reasonable goals are not the same as his idea of reasonable goals. We had a very nice visit together as a result!

I listened to my body and when my back seized up, and rather than pushing it insanely to finish the housework I was doing, I listened to the small, still voice that told me to go sit down.

I shared a meal with my family, asked for and accepted my daughter's help in cleaning up, made plans for a vacation that we weren't sure a week ago that we could take (the road leading to our beach house was washed out by the recent hurricane), and I refused to enable my husband's procrastination (he's preparing to share on an AA panel tomorrow).

It's been an amazing day! And I'm so grateful for fluffy pillows and Capsaicin!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

laughing at myself. Earlier i posted what i thought my day would look like. I need to amend my answer. I stayed sober today by meditating and a meeting, then taking a sick alcoholic to detox and the ER.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
... are you staying sober today?
In a word - Liberation. I don't try to manage my sobriety in any way, shape or form.

I seek & pursue spiritual principles. I place principles before personality (my personality). Those principles lead me along a path that leads to satorie, moksha and nirodha. Sobriety is just one of the many benefits of enlightenment. That's why I say:

"Not drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today"
Old 09-17-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 years Mark! Very inspiring.

I did nothing to day but thank God that I am sober