Notices

What, exactly, is a trigger?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A trigger is any thing, place or person that causes a desire for alcohol: going into a bar; getting into a relationship that elicits heavy feelings of anxiety or fear; hanging out with active drinkers,etc. We all have personal triggers. Mine is elegant dinner settings where wine is served.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Never had a trigger, just a choice which was to drink or not to drink

I was around alcohol, and falling down drunks from day 1, and still work around it to this day.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Never had a trigger, just a choice which was to drink or not to drink. I was around alcohol, and falling down drunks from day 1, and still work around it to this day.
Strictly speaking, I agree with this sentiment. Alcohol is everywhere, including my home, and I just couldn't see myself avoiding "people, places, and things" all the time. I would have to hide out in a bunker.

It doesn't happen very often these days, but there are certainly times where I get the idea of drinking, but I quickly cast it aside as ego-alien, as not me. I may be at a store, by the liquor aisle, for example, and hear a little voice that says "WOW, look there, your favorite brand! Wouldn't that bottle of scotch taste nice? Why don't you buy it?"

Then I'll think "Right, like I'm really going to fall for that one, Mr. Beast. You may think that would taste nice, but I never drink. Nice try, though. Now, buzz off."

It does feel like I'm talking to myself sometimes, though. :-)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, I know that the times I picked up a drink after I had been through treatment and went to meetings it was simply because I just wasn't done yet. That's the brutal truth. Just going to meetings wasn't enough for me to get this sobriety thing. I needed the change brought on by taking the 12 Steps for me to recover. I tried getting sober on my own and then through osmosis by attending meetings. I also had to be convinced drinking didn't work for me anymore. The goodtimes with it were long gone and then oblivion couldn't be reached anymore. Thanks to the program of AA I haven't succumbed to Roy's horse since 1990.

My experience may help another person with their recovery, I doubt my opinions will.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by collinsmi View Post
What, exactly, is a trigger (as it pertains to the subject of alcoholism)?

So, a little while ago, right after a meeting, I was talking to some fellow meeting attendees. One of them stated "all I have to do is avoid my triggers and I'll be fine". After I got home, I began to think about what she said. Based on my preconceived notions of what a trigger is, her statement sounded a little flawed. At best, it seems like a short term solution, or treating a symptom rather than the disease. At worst, it sounds like someone telling you "whatever you do, don't think about elephants, because you know what happens when you do" and then, spending all your waking moments trying not to think about elephants.

Then, it occurred to me "well you might not really know what a trigger is, you're basing your ideas on things you've heard secondhand".

So, what, exactly is a trigger?
Jeez well stay well away from that person then! Reminds me of a guy i met iwho was 15 years sober, impressive so far, who then shared at xmas he had to go away on holiday to somewhere where alcohol is forbidden to not drink (e.g. muslim country)...crazy!

A trigger would be something that would remind me of drinking, e.g. going to watch a baseball game if i had always drank at a baseball game...

Once you have done the work in AA, the steps, triggers will become irrelevant but in the early days it is prudent to be aware of where you go and who you see, i.e. try and avoid old drinking haunts and buddies...obviously:-)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A "Trigger" is a term used to remove accountibility from your self. Like "Slip" and "Relapse"
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Being that I thought I loved drinking the thought of drinking was my trigger. How do you avoid a thought? You can't if you believe it.

I had to change my belief. I now believe that I don't like and don't want to drink.

If you still want to drink being aware of triggers will make the urge to drink stronger when you come across a so called trigger, in my opinion.