Notices

just wanted to tell you all this

Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Reset.....

Whetever you are doing that improves your life and future is the point of quitting.....IMO

I've already shared why bars are no longer in my life...

Forward we go..side by side
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This last time getting sober, I almost drank once in a bar. It was only a few months after I'd quit drinking. I think I was on step 1 or 2 at the time. I'd gone back east on vacation. Was fortunate enough to be with an old friend who brought up a particularly embarrassing episode from my drinking past. That was enough to squelch the temptation. I'd been in a bar about a week before waiting for my car engine to cool down. No problems then, so what was the difference? None that I can think of.

I had to take action to change the way I thought/think. As long as I take this action regularly, I don't have to shield myself from temptation. I don't have to worry about what restaurant I go to, what aisle I walk down in the supermarket, or being in a bar. Of course, since I don't drink, I very seldom find myself in a bar.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I thought your desire had been lifted, Boleo. You've certainly posted about it before. Why the fear?
It is not a matter of fear. It is matter of purpose and common sense. I do not hang around any drama charged environment longer than my purpose requires.

I go to parties and weddings where alcohol is served because I do not shun those who invite me. However, when the guests get rowdy, I leave before the drama starts. I don't find it amusing anymore.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Reset View Post
What if Hannibal had a submarine fleet? It doesn't matter.
It didn't matter to him, but Hannibal didn't start a whole thread on the absence of a submarine fleet. Since you started a whole thread on the absence of temptation, though, it must be important to you.

I can't live in fear or loathing of alcohol. It's just something I wouldn't drink, just like I wouldn't drink Dran-O. Why let it control me on any level?
Speaking only for myself, I don't let it control me, but I do not fear desire or temptation. I too, can go to bars, and I even live with alcohol. If I wanted to drink, all I would have to do is go to the dining room and grab a bottle of Scotch.

Now, "contingent" is an interesting choice of words because I never really thought of being sober as contingent upon anything. Except perhaps for the contingency of my not ingesting intoxicants.
Then you will do fine. I was just somewhat concerned that you were indirectly saying that if you did have the temptation, that you would have had a drink.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow, that took a different direction than I expected. But ok.

BennyHill, the longer story is that for starters, I consider my business partners my friends. They all live in different countries and were in town for a week, hence the long working days.

With one partner in particular, who also happens to be a very good friend, I used to drink a lot. We'd routinely go out and get drunk while "working," which usually consisted of talking about our company, personnel, new ideas, etc.

This particular partner is about 15 years older than I am and so far has managed to function at a high level while being an alcoholic. The guy has off-the-charts intelligence, and I'm consistently amazed at how well his mind works despite his heavy drinking.

He's one of the original founders of the company and when we're working he wants to drink beer. So we spend a lot of time working in bars and around alcohol. Since I'm the one who shouldn't/doesn't want to drink, not him or any of the other partners, I am not going to try to rearrange the way we've always worked.

So I was happy with the outcome this week. I wasn't even tempted to drink, he drank a lot, the others drank some, and we got a lot done. And I was happy about that.
Now I understand. Thank you for the explanation.
More importantly, keep doing whatever it is that keeps you sober, and thank you for an interesting thread!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Whatever works for you works for you!! I personally don't go to bars, I went into one awhile ago, and couldn't stand the smell!!! one big booze barn!!! also I just felt out of place, that was the past for me, I'm sure you know what you are doing...just stay safe!! )