Notices

Anger To Society In Sobriety------

Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Anger To Society In Sobriety------

I was wondering if anyone else has out of control anger towards "normal" society? What I mean is towards non-addicted friends/family, medical community, police, judges, ect.. I don't understand how other recovering alcoholics think that society doesn't look down upon us? I have been fired from jobs (for going to treatment), hassled by police for being in the wrong neighborhood, discharged from ER hospitals while being intoxicated and delusional (a danger to myself) ect... I think AA is a great community but feel one can feel too comfortable in it. Not really sure if anyone understand but I felt a need to post it. I've been sober since the beginning of the year and Son Of B*** Everything Is Real. (SOBER)
Old 08-05-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, not really at the outside world (anymore) but mostly at me. I've had more than my share of being disowned, hassled and jailed, working on twisted tightropes...but underpinning all of this were my own thoughts, attitudes and behaviors. It took me a long time and a lot of anger and resentment at being victimized till, through sobriety, I discovered it was me holding the gun to my head and pulling the trigger.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has out of control anger towards "normal" society?
I used to before I got sober. Example; I used to flip the bird at people jogging in the road - those stinkin' health nuts! How dare they care enough about themselves to stay healthy! Of course, I'd be hungover and feeling miserable.

Once I got sober, I never really gave it another thought, though. I am overall not such an angry person anymore.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellakeller
I used to before I got sober. Example; I used to flip the bird at people jogging in the road - those stinkin' health nuts! How dare they care enough about themselves to stay healthy! Of course, I'd be hungover and feeling miserable.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellakeller
Once I got sober, I never really gave it another thought, though. I am overall not such an angry person anymore.
Ditto. It's like the anger is draining out of me. Amazing really. It's like... am I actually laughing and giggling over things that NEVER would have prompted a laugh before?? My sense of humor is returning... I missed it
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Justfor1 - I think you're feeling some pretty normal emotions.

Personally, I was never angry at society, per se. I was angry that I couldn't drink like normal people.

I haven't experienced any outright hostility towards me because I'm an alcoholic in recovery. When I was a drunk, that's another story but I'm pretty sure I brought that on myself. I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences. Just know, that most people have no real understanding of alcoholism or addiction. They (normies) just don't get why we don't just stop drinking.

I've found through my recovery (in AA) that I'm much less angry than I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I have my days. No doubt.

I do agree with some of what has been said here. I think anything, including AA, can be taken in excess doses. I love AA myself and I try to keep a good balance in my life. I'm much more open minded than I used to be, I know that.

I have a horrible memory, so forgive me. Are you in AA? Working the steps?
If so, have you worked the 4th step? It's a step that might help you work through some of that anger you're feeling right now.
If you're not an AAer, that's cool too. I'm not the authority on how to get and stay sober. AAs not for everyone.

Good luck to you on your journey!

P.S. SJ: I'm not going to take it personally but I also took your comment as a dig to AA and the people in it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Hostility could be fear. Just a thought.

I can't speak for others, but I've seen amazing changes in people who work the AA program and not just hide in meetings.

I stick with people who have a life whichh includes things other than just AA. They do exist.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

The key word is WORK.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Due to repeated violations of Rule 4 this thread is closed.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.

Last edited by CarolD; 08-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.