Notices

Vitamin B

Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamin B

I've been doing some research on detoxing, and many sources have recommended taking Vitamin B pills and/or eating foods containing the vitamin during the detox phase. Does anyone have any insight to this from personal experience, such as if/how it works, and would you recommend pills themselves or a healthy vitamin B diet? Would doing both be 'overkill' or even ultimately unhealthy during and after detoxing?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Seek medical advice from a professional, especially during detox!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I detoxed two years ago the doctors gave me a vitamin B supplement. However they gave me other things as well and it was medically supervised. I suggest you do the same thing(talk to a doctor that is).
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I personally take Vit. B Supplements as part of my diet. I do so following my physicians plan for my health.

I would talk to a doctor if it were me.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely ask a doctor first, but I don't think it's overkill. I know alcoholics that have had to actually have Vitamin B injections because they were so deficient. Once I started taking a B Complex everyday and a healthy B diet I started to feel sooo much more healthy. I had gastritis from alcohol abuse and I know that prevents you from a lot of Vitamin B absorption. The doctors can do a blood test on you and see if you have any major vitamin deficiencies.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take a multi vitamin and a 500mg B-12 every morning. I started taking the B-12 cause I knew it speeds up your metabolism. Then when I stopped drinking I heard that a B Complex vitamin is good. The B complex in a mix of B-1(Thiamine) B-2(Riboflavin) B-6 and B-12. Says it's great for energy, metabolism, and your blood cells.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take a B supplement but keep in mind there are lots of different kinds of vitamin B. I also eat lots of B rich foods like fish, mushrooms, eggs, meat, nuts, and spinach.

I figure it can't hurt.

When I was in college I used to take B supplements before going out drinking because it was supposed to minimize hangovers. Don't know if that's true but I've heard that alcohol depletes the B in your system for years now.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know alcohol depletes Vitamin B-1 more than anything, but doctors advice is best.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Before jumping into any supplements or vitamins or weird eating plans

Always check with your doctor because you don't know what is best for you or what you actually need.

Dr. Google is not the same as having your specific requirements addressed by your doctor....
The initial de tox stage is only a few days...doubt anything would be absorbed so quickly anyway.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Me? my doctor gave me the ok to use the supplements and eating plan I found in 'Under The Influence"

I had no idea about hypoglycemia ..never heard of it until I read the book. My doctor had the nowledge that I lacked...

I did do that for about 6 months in early recovery and I think it helped with how little cravings I had..but that is only a guess..
I walked often...went to AA daily and changed a lot of destructive relationships too.
I felt better for being pro active instead of depending on a pill or diet.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A month before my detox my B-5 (folic acid) was so low for so long I had a pulmonary embolism and spent a week in the hospital. I know this to be the case after discussing the results of my latest CT Scan with my hematologist.

I was also prescribed vitamin B-1. Now I take a B-complex everyday plus and extra shot of B-5.

You can also get these through a proper diet, which is the ideal way to get vitamins.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have no real baseline to judge by, but I've been taking a liquid B complex for about a year now. And I did this knowing that alcoholics are low in B vitamins... I did it to sort of bulk myself up a little for when I quit. Not sure if it helped greatly, but I guess it's one less thing I have to worry about... I also began a low carb diet about 2 months before I quit in June... I shed a few lbs and some inches, but what drastically improved was my energy and moods. I can't stress enough what cutting out the carbs does for the emotional roller coaster part of it. Unfortunately, I took full advantage of the first 30 days of sobriety as my excuse to let go and pig out on some carbs and sugar... I do regret this now. I see that I wasn't in actuality "craving" them, I just read so many cases of people pigging out on sugar and such that I thought... oh f*** it, I'm going to anyway... might as well go all the way!! LOL. I start on August 1st on my Paleo/Primal diet again... and I am SO GLAD to give up the sugar and carbs again... I'm allowing myself birthday cake for the next couple of days and then I'm done!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, B vitamins were overly stimulating to the sympathetic nervous system during my early recovery; thus, amplifying my post-acute withdrawal symptoms.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Seek medical advice from a professional, especially during detox!
Amen...We're not qualified to give medical advice of any kind. Please...seek a qualified professional -as stated above. I do take vitamin B for various reasons, but I'm in no way qualified to assess or make recommendations regarding nutritional advice. A certified professional is your best bet.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by VirtualInsanity View Post
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.
I learned many tricks&tips to minimize the DT"s but I don't share them with anyone. Looking back at them now, they only allowed (enabled) me to drink years past the point where I should have sought medical help.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I take a B complex and a time-release B-50 but only early in the day...otherwise I have trouble sleeping.