Notices

“Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead”

Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

“Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead”

this is a wonderful documentary if you have a couple of hours to kill and want some inspiration in this life journey we are all on

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film
I saw it on streaming on Netflix
Here is a review that does a better job than I ever could...

‘Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead,’ a Diet-and-Road-Trip Movie - Review - NYTimes.com
Shaped like Michael Moore and thinking like Morgan Spurlock, Joe Cross, a cheery Australian futures trader, came to the conclusion that his 310 pounds and 53-inch girth were the cause of his chronic autoimmune disorder. An adulthood spent “focusing on my wealth rather than my health” had left him with a body mass that, according to one waggish friend, “went up and down like a bride’s nightie.”
More About This Movie

“Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead” documents Mr. Cross’s transformation from tubby to trim with infomercial zeal and a congenial “Hey, Ma, look what I did!” tone. Embarking on a 60-day juice fast *** road trip, Mr. Cross tootles around America, chatting to irregular Joes and Janes about their excess avoirdupois. Wielding a juice extractor, he accosts strangers with glasses of green goop, yammering about micronutrients to good ol’ boys and flashing his substantial gut in solidarity. Most take it well (while declaring an undying allegiance to barbecue and bacon), but two — a woman plagued by migraines and a morbidly obese truck driver — swallow the veggie Kool-Aid so enthusiastically they earn substantial screen time.

In a television culture that can at times feel like one vast waistline, this good-natured documentary adds little to the conversation. But its insistence that self-help is the best help allows Mr. Cross — now medication free and messianic — to lay responsibility on ourselves. “Fat, Sick” may be no great shakes as a movie, but as an ad for Mr. Cross’s wellness program its now-healthy heart is in the right place.