Notices

10 Years > Then Back to Step 1

Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great post - There was a guy in my outpatient treatment that had 10 years sobriety, started playing in a new golf league and joined the guys in the bar after the round of golf to be sociable. This went on for a few weeks and he was drinking O' Doules and one thing led to another and he had a DUI in short order. It was a pretty powerful story for me since at that time I was sober for about two weeks.

I guess I learned to never take my recovery for granted and even though I have close to eight years sobriety I know a cure has not been found for alcoholism. My mindset is that I still take it day by day in the sense that I know I can't ever have that "one" drink. I work out four times a week, have a great job and a fantastic family. I will not throw at that away by drinking. I simply have way too much to lose and I know darn well that alcohol is not some great elixir that will fix or temper life's problems.

I have to admit that I have not been to a meeting in about four years and I do miss them. It is something that I know I should do but coming to this site helps me too.

As someone said above, we are not perfect but if we fall down or make a mistake we can also get back up.

Dave
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by ronf View Post
Ya got his number? Him and I should star a club. LOL. I'm just coming back today. Had 15 yrs. Just coming off a month long bender.

Damn glad to be back,

Ron
WB, Ron. Glad you're back with us.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post

I have to admit that I have not been to a meeting in about four years and I do miss them.
When I had my spiritual awakening, I thought "Oh boy! I never have to put up with the poopheads at meetings ever again. I stayed away from meetings for about 3 weeks after that. Strange as it seems, I started to miss the poopheads for some reason:

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends-this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."
(page 89)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I could write a whole essay on DayTrader's post, but...

What happened to all the "We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition" I always heard so much about? How do you know the guy didn't forget to renew that daily reprieve the night before he got drunk? He could have had that connection and stayed connected for 10 years minus one day, no?

All BB quotes from 1st Ed
If this was my approach to my recovery/sobriety I'd be one depressed woman. Very good point, AVRT.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by ronf View Post
Ya got his number? Him and I should star a club. LOL. I'm just coming back today. Had 15 yrs. Just coming off a month long bender.

Damn glad to be back,

Ron
I am thrilled to see you back here with us..

Forward we go side by side
Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There are many, many illnesses which are managed on a daily basis -- asthma, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, renal failure, dementia, high blood pressure, sleep disorders, depression, to name a few. Why is there an expectation that alcoholism should have an instant cure that doesn't require any work or effort on our part?

None of us know why this man relapsed. Typically relapse is a result of a series of actions or lack thereof. There is a progression of walking backward through the steps, one of weeks and months. To suggest that someone was one day removed from a spiritual connection out of his ten years of sobriety is to mock the program of AA.

AVRT and SoberJennie, pray you never grow old and ill because I can guarantee that you will both be mighty depressed. Susan
Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I'll tell ya this Kelly.....he may have had 10 years since his last drink but the guy never got truly sober.
I don't think we can go around saying he never truly got sober. After all they always say, "All we have is today"?. The program of AA is something you have to continuously work, it's not like you ever graduate or don't need it.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
To suggest that someone was one day removed from a spiritual connection out of his ten years of sobriety is to mock the program of AA.
Actually, I wasn't mocking in this instance, at least not AA. I was pointing out the absurdity of pontificating about how someone who got drunk after ten years never achieved sobriety in the first place.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
Actually, I wasn't mocking in this instance, at least not AA. I was pointing out the absurdity of pontificating about how someone who got drunk after ten years never achieved sobriety in the first place.
Same here.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grievous Angel

25~ years then...back. I love cocktails and cigarettes far more than they love me.