Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

This has been going on for too long/This has to stop!

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where is the end of this lifestyle? This has been going on for way too long now. It is ruining my life!! I cannot seem to stay away from alcohol. I have tried AA meetings, maybe I should try again. There was an AA meeting that I attended months ago and IMMEDIATELY afterward, I wanted a drink.
There is a rehab center (in-patient) for $3,000 for 28 days that I know of. I feel as if I need to be locked up in a frigging cage to be able to stay away from the liquid monster. I feel as if there's no help.
Everyone around here drinks. The city in which I live has won the title, "Beer City, USA" for three years in a row. I'm 25... I don't want to ruin my whole life/future with alcohol though I still want to be able to drink and have a good time. The good times with alcohol though, are in my past. It seems as though I cannot have even ONE drink without my whole day or night going straight to sh*t. I drink as much as I can every single day, and that amount fluctuates. Sometimes 5 beers a day, sometimes 10. Sometimes two, sometimes none. Doesn't matter how much though, even when I'm not drinking, I'm thinking about when and where and what I will drink. Sometimes I find myself thinking about it right after I drink my coffee in the morning. This is hell on earth, I'm alone, I don't know what to do, I'm sort of freaking out right now.
This sucks.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I have certainly been where you are at. I don't know what you need to do, but I had to seek medical help just to detox. Of course, I didn't believe this was necessary (really, I just didn't want to do it), so I floundered around awhile longer.

Get some help!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

lindsay...
in many areas the Salvation Army has free facilities for short term de tox and for longer stays in various centers.
It's wise to have supervision for de toxing..

I'm sure there are many options in your area for different methods for lasting sobriety.
AA is not the only one....as you have been advised before. It takes a bit to get any benefit from all programs

you are in a toxic relationship as you have shared about your lovers situation. That too is a factor IMO
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The most important thing is that you want to stop more than you want to drink. Without that ingredient you're just spinning your tires. Talk to a Doctor first to see if withdrawal will be a problem. There are lots of programs out there if you think you need one.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Linz,

Been there & done that. I admitted myself into treatment and it cost way more than 3 thou (insurance was next to worthless). I am so glad I did, because I knew that left to my own devices I would probably cave in a matter of days. It does help to be isolated from the old routine, to be surrounded by people in the same boat, and spend an extended period of time focused on recovery. But no matter how much money you've got, eventually you've got to face the "real world" again and actually put all the stuff you've learned into action in your daily life. If you do what is requested of you in rehab and honestly, openly, and willingly do what they recommend after you are discharged, you will likely get what you are searching for: sobriety.

I was told in treatment that there was a distinction between sobriety and abstinence from alcohol. At the time I didn't understand it and thought they were full of it. But I did what they suggested and 18 months down the road I can tell you that you don't have to spend the rest of your days anxiously resisting an urge to drink. But to get there you need to do the work. AA was enormously helpful for me after treatment, despite the fact that I was resistent to becoming "one of those pathetic people" and doing the 90 meetings in 90 days that were suggested.

In the end, I did more like 360 meetings in my first year. Because I actually wanted to, and enjoyed what I got out of them, and liked the friends that I made there.

You can do this. But you have to make the commitment to actually follow through. Good luck - it's absolutely worth the effort!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker. Some nights heavier than others. I would stop for a couple of days a week and thought that was enough for my liver to heal. Pretty much I focused my day around when and where to drink the rest didn't matter.

When I got sober 75 days ago it was the best thing I ever did. My life went from being meaningless to learning that there is more to life than the drink. I don't go to AA meetings. I use SR as my main source of recovery. I've read Rational Recovery which I will never forget. I just got on with life without alcohol and after the first month things got easier I got into a new routine without alcohol in my life.

Medication started working, built more confidence then I realised that I didn't really need alcohol but didnt realize it until the fog went away. Each day is a new day you start at day 1 soon that turns into a couple of weeks and POW 75 days. '

I started listening more to hardcore music and realised alot of people hate the drinking and drugging lifestyle I found my home there a place where you can be yourself in all your flaws but sober. So music and SR have saved my life.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hopefully, Linz, someone in that AA meeting can share AA's solution with you. A set of specific and precise actions, that when taken, will remove your obsession to drink. It's not about going to meetings to stay sober. It's about experiencing a fundamental shift in one's reaction to life.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is like Groundhogs day, the movie until you stop the roller coaster..

Just slow down and take it one day at a time,

and don't forget to give yourself a break once in a while, we tend to hold our selves to a higher standard.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Where is the end of this lifestyle? This has been going on for way too long now. It is ruining my life!! I cannot seem to stay away from alcohol. I have tried AA meetings, maybe I should try again. There was an AA meeting that I attended months ago and IMMEDIATELY afterward, I wanted a drink.
There is a rehab center (in-patient) for $3,000 for 28 days that I know of. I feel as if I need to be locked up in a frigging cage to be able to stay away from the liquid monster. I feel as if there's no help.
Everyone around here drinks. The city in which I live has won the title, "Beer City, USA" for three years in a row. I'm 25... I don't want to ruin my whole life/future with alcohol though I still want to be able to drink and have a good time. The good times with alcohol though, are in my past. It seems as though I cannot have even ONE drink without my whole day or night going straight to sh*t. I drink as much as I can every single day, and that amount fluctuates. Sometimes 5 beers a day, sometimes 10. Sometimes two, sometimes none. Doesn't matter how much though, even when I'm not drinking, I'm thinking about when and where and what I will drink. Sometimes I find myself thinking about it right after I drink my coffee in the morning. This is hell on earth, I'm alone, I don't know what to do, I'm sort of freaking out right now.
This sucks.
Have you capitulated yourself? You're going to need someone to help you, someone to force feed you the negative effects of alcohol and to keep you under watch.

You need to not purchase, nor drink alcohol.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you were able to do it without any help, by yourself, than you would have been able to quit by now. There is a slim chance after sometime after today you can, but after eahc passing day, that window becomes narrower and narrower. Please do not take this as an insult. Help is needed, by forces stronger than the addiction. And those forces may be many many medically trained personnel.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Now I feel insane too.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When my psychiatrist assured me I was not insane ..but situationally depressed from my drinking.....he sent me to AA.

i was not thrilled...but off I went...willing to try anything for my well being.
And yes...I quit and Yes I am so much happier than I ever imagined...

Please have an honest talk with your doctor on how best to move forward into a sober life...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Linz,

You can only stop when you truly want to stop. If you want to still drink "socially", you won't be able to.
If you can, go to rehab. At the very least, you will have 28 days of structure.
It's a lot of money, but can you afford to just keep floundering and going mad?

Keep going to this web site, read as much as you can, pm people, do whatever you can to stay busy and hopefully sober.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you can afford the rehab that would be a good option. You will have a medically supervised detox, 28 days of sobriety, and you will learn a lot. It can change your life.

I also believe that AA can change your life, but I don't think the results will be as quick or dramatic as rehab.