Notices

I finally realize i have a problem...

Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I finally realize i have a problem...

So its been 4 days since ive had a drink. i know many of you are probably thinking, big deal. however, that is a very big deal to me. Its been 4 days since i had a real eye opener and realized i have & had a problem. Thurs night was my last drunkin bindge. Im a def bindge drinker. When im out i have no cut off, no stopping point. When i go out, i say im going out to have "a couple" drinks...but a couple turns into 9 glasses of wine and 6 shots of jager. I woke up Fri morning and couldnt remember what had happened the night before. I couldnt remember how i got home. And this isnt the 1st time this has happen. the thing that made fri morning different, is that all i could remember was being in handcuffs and a police offier telling me i need to grow up and asking if i wanted to end up in jail. I woke up the next morning so embarrassed and like i could never show my face out in public again. i am almost 30 years old. i have 2 children and a husband at home. i have a great career. When i woke up fri morning, that all couldve have been taken from me. this was a HUGE realization. I always thought people who had drinking problems drank every day....and i dont. I go out maybe once or twice a month....but those times i do go out, i drink what other ppl usually drink in a course of 1 month. its like i shove a month worth of drinking into 4 hours of a night.

I am happy to say i have been reaching out....and i plan on attending my 1st AA meeting tomorrow. I know i have a lot to work on, and i know its not going to be easy. At certain points in my life i feel like i have hit rock bottom, but i havent. Ive come close, very very close....but i have never gone to jail, lost my job, lost my family over drinking....yet. And at this point in my life why chance any of that happening now. Someone has been def watching over me.

Here's to a new beginning
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well you have done the hard part already admitting you have a problem and doing something about it. I'm aroung the 30 mark too and it has taken many rock bottoms to figure out that alcohol was ruining my life.

I can remember when I was 17 and in a nightclub and the police rocked up and told me to leave and I wouldn't so off to the cells I went for 4 hours to sober up. I was a big man when I was full of booze 4 hours later I was sober and dead quiet and feeling sorry. I lived like this for the next 13 years of my life.

Today I'm sober 74 days. Life has improved, no more craziness, no more fights, no more binge drinking. You can do this too.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Yes I too was a blackout drinker who took dangerous risks
i'm glad you are heading into a sober future....

forward wego side by side...please keep posting with us ..
All my best to you and your family

4 days? please read my signature lines...well done

Last edited by CarolD; 07-04-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rach,
Four days is huge. Just making a start is huge. Because with that start is the realisation that the drinking must end and although this sounds like a no-brainer to those who don't have a problem, we, as alcoholics, don't know any different.
You are lucky that you already know how much in life you have to be grateful for. Just keep that in your head if/when an urge hits you.
It is a funny thing, I never believed all those people in AA or even on SR about how life is so much better sober. I though, 'yeah maybe for them but I am different I can't live without it'. And now, today, I think I am just over 40 days and it truly is, no hiding, no guilt, no shame -- I just get to live each day to the max. And then at the end of the day I am dog tired and go to sleep peacefully enjoying drifting off. It is bliss.
Wishing you well
Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rach. Glad you're here! You story sounds similar to some of mine I've been in handcuffs from drinking/black-outs as well. Not a fun thing to wake up to. It's a horrible feeling, isn't it??

And "rock bottom" doesn't ever have to be hit, by the way. Glad you're stepping in to help yourself before worse things happen.

This is a diverse group of people from all over the world... great forum! Lots of good reading and articles here. I'm fairly new myself... welcome aboard
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you to admit that you have a problem and congrats on your 4 days.
There are so many "yets" to come if you continue to abuse alcohol, i.e; jail, arrests, accidents, loss of employment, death. This doesn't have to B you.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the four days and I know it is said all the time,

Just take it one day at a time...

You are lucky that you have come to this realization now, it took me until I was over 40 to "Get it"

Best of luck and stay strong,
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. it is so encouraging to have others know what i have been and am going thru. i was proud of myself that i made it thru the 4th of july with out one drink....when in the past the 4th was just another exscuse to get completely wasted. def taking it one day at a time.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats! Going through a holiday weekend without drinking is a huge accomplishment.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

4 days without a drink is a very big deal indeed. Congrats and welcome to SR.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!