Notices

Day 11... not so great

Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11... not so great

Well it's day 11 and I am still not planning on drinking, but I feel like I could really use a few today...

For some reason my stress level is maxed out. I've been snapping on everyone that comes in my path, I feel horrible, yet I do not want to apologize for my actions. This makes me feel like drinking because I would usually drink to reduce stress and relax. Doesn't help that someone asked me to go to the bar tonight, but I reluctantly refused!

Other than that I do not feel like I am going through any major type of withdrawal, just extremely tired.

Hot shower, a movie, and off to bed it is for me before I call back and take up my friend on his offer.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day at a time..
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Abd,
"stress level is maxed out" "snapping on everyone" "feel horrible" "extremely tired"

To an outsider it really does sound like you're going through a major type of withdrawal. The thing is stress, bad temper, tiredness and having zero energy and being generally horrible to others are things we get used to when we drink. Can't promise they'll stop tomorrow or the day after, or the day after that, but if you keep stopped - They WILL be things of the past. Really.

Have you not told your friend you don't drink? I remember wrestling with how to tell people. In early attempts to quit I lied - said I was on tablets, had a bad stomach etc but they're lies that got me back where I was.

In the 'final solution' I burned bridges up front - went to my local and told the landlady never to serve me alcohol again, and told all my real friends and family I was sober and would never drink again, ever. Most laughed. But 8 years on, I'm the one laughing.

Stay strong, keep busy, you'll never regret giving up for one moment.

Deg.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It has been difficult on how to tell my friends and family.

I told my sister the other day I have been sober for I think it was 10 days or so the other day and shes like oh really I haven't drank in hmm... since new years so like six months what an accomplishment. This really in fact hurt my feelings.

I told one of my close friends last night when she called and asked me to go to the bar and she says to me why did you have to pick now to quit with the fourth of the july weekend here.

So with responses like these its hard for me to stay optimistic on how much support I will receive from the people closest to me. Maybe after I haven't drank in a while they will understand. Right now I just don't know.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does not matter what others think. ignore them. Focus on getting YOU healthy. the fact that it is the weekend of the 4th does not matter. I have found that there will AWAYS be a reason (excuse) to drink. Always. That is just another thing I am learning on my journey to quit.
And hey, I'm impressed and jealous of your sober time. its higher than mine,lol. Be proud, this is a tough thing you are doing.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A year after I quit, my mother gave me a bottle of beer as a present at Christmas. So much for people trying or being able to understand what we go through!

If necessary make some new, sober, friends. They’re far more likely to be better contacts, better adjusted, more reliable and more fun to be around.

Being sober isn’t just the best thing for us - it’s the best thing possible for those around us. They probably don’t understand this, but given time they will.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SLD

EVERYONE has days where they are cross, grumpy, tired, unmotivated! But people like us cope with booze or drugs. Learning new coping skills is part of the process.

What is it that distracts you, makes you stop "thinking" about alcohol? Everyone has something. Lot's of people work out. I don't so much, I'm a book worm, so I read trashy escape fiction. Do a fun DVD. Distract from the temptation. And always, each day, every day, til midnight, FOR YOU, take a pass on alcohol!

Best wishes,
SLD
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abd112 View Post
Other than that I do not feel like I am going through any major type of withdrawal, just extremely tired.
abd,
i feel the same way. today is day fourteen and i am extremely tired most of the time; not waking up till twelve-one o'clock everyday. youre in good company. try and hang in there. im trying to get out during the day. its really tough at first but i have to believe that it will feel better than how drinking made me feel.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 14 too! Things are starting to get better, had more energy today. I also feel a lot better then I do when I was drinking, my days don't feel so empty knowing I won't be drowning in the bottom of a bottle almost every night!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abd112 View Post
So with responses like these its hard for me to stay optimistic on how much support I will receive from the people closest to me. Maybe after I haven't drank in a while they will understand.
Well, we're glad you're here. We'll give you lots of support & encouragement, because we know what you're doing is the best thing for you, and the other people in your life. Please keep posting. The first 30 days is tough, and the first 6 months is challenging. You'll find support here, i promise.

Don't let anyone discourage you or change your mind. It's a good thing you're questioning whether drinking is useful in your life, and it's good that you're willing to consider change to make yourself a better person. Sometimes those choices threaten other people, because they have the same inner voice that tells them drinking isn't all pleasure and fun.
I personally didn't call attention to my stopping drinking. I just quietly kept water or soda in my hand, and quietly refused.
The only real person i felt any change from is my father in law. For parties, he, my brother and law and I would drink beers and whiskey. When i stopped drinking, I noticed a change in him. He was colder, sort of pissed off. But no one else, not even my brother in law, made me feel uncomfortable. And the other people at these parties who didn't drink noticed it over time, and i've grown closer to them. And i notice how my father and law and brother in law always start napping after a few hours at the party. Drinking is a hard life. It really is.