Notices

job related / covering up past struggles

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
King of Fools

job related / covering up past struggles

anybody else encounter this situation/roadblock?

i have been sober since june 15 2010, and a week before that i lost my job due to my drinking...i'm almost at a year sober.

but i haven't had a job since. and now that i'm going nuts trying to find works (for instance, i JUST had a job interview about an hour ago)...and everybody seems to hint at the "why haven't you worked in so long/ what have you been doing?".

i know a year layoff of work may be bad/negative etc., not arguing with that...

but it is such a tough one to take in to feel like i am being labeled lazy due to the fact that i haven't had a job, and instead had to focus on staying sober and alive.

but at the same time i know it isn't smartest to tell a random boss/manager "well i'm an alcoholic and took time to recover".

GRR. this was a rant more then anything, but any feedback is welcome
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think that a year of unemployment is that usual in this economy, the unemployment rate is in double digits where I am. I know a lot of people that have lost jobs, some have reinvented themselves and moved on. Some keep hoping that the old job will return, and it won't, times are changing. Keep trying, and if possible take a position that is somewhat below where you were before. It will give you some income and you won't have to explain why you are not working.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
King of Fools

yeah i agree 100%...unemployments at 11% i think? in my area/city.

and i did just that...this is a $8-$9 an hr job making pretzels in a factory. i've made double digits in pay since 2007 so this is under what one would expect me to go for. i was doing warehouse type work, management etc., and i thought the same thing... (i'll take what i can get just grab a few dollars for pocket money until something good comes along).

its very frustrating. staying sober and the likes is all on me and the individual trying to maintain it...BUT...in situations like this, i need a chance to start up again and prove myself you know.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just lie and say you had to deal with a sick parent or relative
Old 06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
King of Fools

yeah, not a fan of it, but i'm leaning towards just bullshitting basically.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firewalkwithme View Post

i have been sober since june 15 2010, and a week before that i lost my job due to my drinking...i'm almost at a year sober.

but i haven't had a job since. and now that i'm going nuts trying to find works (for instance, i JUST had a job interview about an hour ago)...and everybody seems to hint at the "why haven't you worked in so long/ what have you been doing?".

i know a year layoff of work may be bad/negative etc., not arguing with that...

but it is such a tough one to take in to feel like i am being labeled lazy due to the fact that i haven't had a job, and instead had to focus on staying sober and alive.

but at the same time i know it isn't smartest to tell a random boss/manager "well i'm an alcoholic and took time to recover".

GRR. this was a rant more then anything, but any feedback is welcome

Whatever you do, and whatever happens, you know that not drinking is the most important thing ever. Keep that in mind regardless of what is going on!! Nothing should ever be more important than your 'health'! Good Job at being sober and facing adveristy w/ a clear mind.

With that being sad, it is pretty difficult to find a job in these tough economic times. A lot of people are out of work, some for many years. What's important is to keep your skill set up. Try to volunteer first, and keep on trying. Try to find part time jobs if available.

It is dire, but keep your head up.

NEVER, EVER LIE !! Things will expose themselves. Your employer is not dumb to the situation around. But if you had some volunteer in the gap, it might put you one step above your competitor.

I was unemployed for a few months, but I tried to remain active and involved w/ society. In the blank spaces, I started my own business and endeavor, as well as volunteered/interned.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My brother made a practice of hiring from his fellow AA members and
I got a new job in a different field by telling everyone in AA I needed one.

Hope something works out for you soon...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was just hired for a really good job after two and a half years of unemployment. No one ever even asked me why so long. It is completely indicative of the economy (unemployment rate). I'm pretty reluctant to tell new people that I meet that I'm an alcoholic. I've noticed some of those who know absolutely nothing about the disease at times sneer to a certain extent as though it is 100% moral failure on my part. My sister who has many years of sobriety has had the same thing happen to her.

I would let other recovering alcoholics know you are looking for a job though. Like Carol said...it can possibly open doors to a whole new career. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CarolD is spot on. I'm a military wife and when I move to a new area I start talking to local veterans (not for jobs, I'm fortunate, I don't need one) but for other support, along with AA and NA members of course.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great suggestions here!

I too am in an HR position and with the unemployment rate so high, it isn't unusual for us to see someone out of work for a year. A simple answer to the question on why you were out of work so long, could be "waiting for the right opportunity" or took some time off, which, would both be truthful statements.

DO NOT LIE..we should have given up that when we gave up alcohol.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by firewalkwithme View Post

...but i haven't had a job since. and now that i'm going nuts trying to find works (for instance, i JUST had a job interview about an hour ago)...and everybody seems to hint at the "why haven't you worked in so long/ what have you been doing?".
I ran into that same road-block and had to take a job as an OTR truck driver to get back in the game. It was a chrome-plated turd of a job but it got me back on my feet.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Froglet's volunteer suggestion is a good one. Even if you only volunteer once a month, you could still put on your resume, for example: "Habitat for Humanity, June 2010 - June 2011". That looks like one hell of a commitment on a resume! Plus it lets the employer know that you have been keeping yourself busy.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

I've never posted over here because I've had no insight to offer...you all give to me WAY more than I could give to you (and Thank You so much for that!). But I was in workforce development and worked out of a workforce center for two years. One of my best friends, whom I met there, is a job coach for SRS and an expert on interviewing techniques for those who've have a rocky career path (job loss due to alcoholism, incarceration, habitual mouthing-off, etc). So I might have something to offer to you.

The first thing is to consider putting together a skills resume as opposed to a chronological resume. I know not everyone has or feels they need a resume, but employers like to see them for just about anything other than an entry level job (even then, it can't hurt you). You can find samples of these resumes online. A skills resume really helps to de-emphasize gaps in employment.

Secondly, if it does come up, don't lie. Just don't. The surefire way to not get hired is to get caught in a lie. But alternately, you don't have to give details. As if you were sitting in a witness box, only answer what is asked. Also - try to find some creative ways of answering. The truth isn't always brutal. Sometimes it is shiny and polished.

Interviewer: "I see you haven't been working for a year. Can you explain the gap in employment."

You: "Sure. I was very lucky that I was able to take a year off of working to resolve some family issues."

See? All true.

I: "What was the reason for leaving your last job?"

You: "Again, I had some challenges that were causing great stress at home and at my job. It caused me to lose my ability to manage both effectively and, as a result, I was let go. However, as I said, I was lucky to be able to take the time off to resolve those issues. It was a blessing in disguise. But the time is right for me to get back into the workforce and would like the opportunity to do so with your company."

If they get right to the point:

I: "And what were those challenges? if you don't mind me asking."

You: "No problem. I appreciate you asking. They were of a personal nature and I'm happy to say that my family and I have successfully worked beyond them. Now I'm ready to move forward."

And practice your answers in your head as much as you can. Practice them with someone else. The more you practice, the more self-assured and confident you will be when the words come out of your mouth. You won't leave saying "Darn! I forgot that I was going to say..."

My last thought is that you might look up the workforce center in your area. In Philly it is For Job Seekers : PWDC. All of them have free services for job seekers to assist with resume building, interview skills and training opportunities. It's a wealth of knowledge (pre-paid through our taxes) that so few people know about.
They are there to help you get a job.

This got a little lengthy but I hope it helps. You all work so hard in your recovery and give so much back unknowingly, I can't fully express my gratitude.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I dont know, but Ive been through this as well since I graduated college (I had a lot of money saved up before I went, and managed to get by financially so I didnt work then either) so I have a HUGE gap in my employment history, and that is judged incredibly negatively, despite the fact that I was working at 11. The job market is awful as it is, let alone having a scarlet letter on you. Some places will only consider people who are currently employed, and will automatically trash resumes from those unemployed.

I soon leave for Navy Boot Camp since I havent been able to find a job all this time.

I wish you well.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This thread has been helpful, thanks for all the tips. I have been out of my field for a year. I was let go from 3 jobs in 2 years. I have always been so stuck in my head and worried about everything but the task at hand that I make negligent mistakes and give the impression I'm not interested in learning and doing the job. After the last time I was so discouraged that I have only looked intermittently for the past year. I am almost ready to get back in to it again but I have to feel confident that I can do this. It's good to know I'm not the only one in this boat and that I can feel ok about the gap in my employment. I know confidence and knowledge will be key for me, since I haven't had hands on practice in so long. Focus on strengths.