Notices

giving in to the bottle

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

giving in to the bottle

hello,

im new to this but heres my story... i am a 23yr old active alcoholic flurting with the idea of trying to quit drinking again. i have always been a party goer but was always able to manage my drinking. that was until a year ago. i started a new job that i travel alot, work tons of hours, very hard on my body. i ended up with bad back problems that the doctors cannot seem to find answers for. this caused me to bury my pain with drinking (about 1/2-1 fifth of burbon per nite). ive tried quitting twice, only to give in to the hellatious withdrawls. im not shure if i can find a way to beat this up hill battle im fighting with work, drinking, living out of town.... anyone have any ideas
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Yooper06,

If you are having problems with withdrawal I would suggest talking to your doctor first. They can help get you through the withdrawal safely and hopefully more comfortably. If you are committed to quitting you have found the right place here, there is lots of great information and support available here.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See a Doctor. They can monitor your withdrawal and if need be, prescribe something to make the withdrawal a bit easier.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, here is some great information on what people go through during withdrawal.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good luck and please take care of yourself.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Yooper

Welcome!

I agree with the advice to see a Dr for detox purposes.

I also urge you to keep looking for Dr, physios, or whatever who can help you with your back.

Like you I have chronic pain conditions - I tried to manage them with alcohol as well - you'd be much wiser to keep trying to find a Dr or therapist who can help.

I found out eventually that a little light exercise does wonders for me - I've cut back on my meds by over half....and naturally I don;t drink anymore.

Please do seek some help - you can do this!

D
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the insite im so envious of everyone here! makes me feel guilty for not jumping on my day 1 today.... i feel like an outcast! but thank you i see there maybe a light at the end of this damn tunnel!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. THere is light at the end of the tunnel - I'm proof of that. Please do see a doctor for help in getting safely thru withdrawal, then devise a plan for staying sober. It takes a lot of work on yourself but the rewards are worth the effort.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Yooper! Glad you found us..when you get off that fence of yours you will always find us here.