Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Religious Types Who Have Never Even Tried Alcohol

Notices

Religious Types Who Have Never Even Tried Alcohol

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

She sounds like a witch anyway...I wouldn't worry about it too much....next time Ignore her and hang out with the sober dude

MsCB...I get what you are saying but it wouldn't be an issue for me any more than injesting the occasional meal prepared with alcohol...at least I don't think it would be based on where my head is at. If I started church hoping on Sundays to take multiple communions that would be a problem

:rotfxko
Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I'm with you on this. When I first got a sponsor who was a Christian he was adamant that I shouldn't take any wine at Communion. I didn't see this as being a trigger to drinking more alcohol at any stage in my drinking career and I wanted to feel part of the church family. Last year, I changed denominations and became a Baptist although that had nothing whatsoever to do with the way they serve Communion. However, as they use fruit juice rather than wine, it removes any lingering misgiving I might have had about it. As for enjoying the occassional meal cooked with alcohol, I can't see it being a problem for me either. I used a spoonfull of white wine in a stew yesterday but I didn't in any sense see that as breaking my sobriety. I bought a tiny carton of white wine from the supermarket rather than a bottle and poured away the contents I didn't need to cook with. I see this as maintaining sensible boundries within ABSTINENCE. It's not a compromise I'm worried about.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was raised Mormon so here was never a drop of alcohol in the house growing up. But I still found it somehow lol! My mom became Mormon at 15 and the only time she ever had alcohol was a sip of champagne when she was like 12. My dad converted at 22 and would drink occasionally before that but his dad was an alcoholic so he knew he did not want to ever drink much.

They are very supportive and obviously want to help me quit but at the same time, its hard for me to talk to them about it cuz they just don't really understand and I feel guilty for allowing myself to become the way I am.

Obviously I do not follow the religion, not for me and too much that I disagree with but I am lucky that my parents are not the judgmental types that some can be.