Notices

Kombucha...?! No fair :(

Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Kombucha...?! No fair :(

This is a favorite beverage of mine and it was pulled off the shelves awhile back due to it's questionable alcohol content, which was .5 just like a non- alcoholic beer. However, upon closer observation some bottles were found to have up to 1.5 (milligrams?) of alcohol content because it is a fermented beverage. I quit drinking it. But it was released again recently and there is no info anywhere on the bottle regarding alcohol content. I thought there was no alcohol in the new stuff because there isn't a thing anywhere on the label indicating alcohol content. But a bit of internet research revealed that apparently there is still the same .5 amount of alcohol per serving... I DO NOT get a buzz when I drink it! I have had about 4 bottles this week and two today- that's 4 servings in one day! Do I have to reset my "quit" date for drinking?!?! I am gonna get DRUNK if that's the case!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are going to get drunk....at almost 14 days of sobriety...it's your decision.
I had to take responsbility for my personal sobreity.

No I don't drink anything that has even a trace of alcohol....try tap water ..it's not expensive...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what to tell you.

I am concerned more about your threat to drink if you don't hear the answer you want to hear.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I don't drink kombucha because it does have a slight alcohol content. BUT, there's no reason to drink over it!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well so do I have to redo my start date ?!?!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You drank it not knowing....that was an accident
If you continue to drink it....that is on you.

the only date of sobriety I know for certain is my own...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you but I kind of need a more definitive answer.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carol - if you drank it genuinely not suspecting it was alcoholic, then your intent was good - I'd leave it behind me and move on.

Obviously this kombuchya stuff will always have alcohol in it, and you know that now.

Thinking about drinking over it tho?
That's madness.

Just chalk it up as a learning experience, Sleepie.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

But what about non alcoholic beer with the same? If someone has a whole 6 pack do they start a new sober date? And even if I know and had a kombucha does that count if I have it sometimes as a treat? I am having a bad moment over this. I am so confused. And what about balsamic dressings?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

THIS SUCKS> I am just going to bed. Now all my hard work is ruined. It was all for nothing and I have been destroying my liver apparently even though I wasn't drinking. And I have to start all over with a new date and i just wish i'd die in my sleep.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're catastrophising here sleepie.

Even if you do decide to reset your date (and it is your choice) it's not the end of anything and it doesn't negate or ruin anything.

I hope you'll feel better when you wake up.

D
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I don't know what to tell you.

I am concerned more about your threat to drink if you don't hear the answer you want to hear.
Agreed. I find that if I am looking for an excuse to drink, I will eventually find it. It's when I was able to focus on the positive things about being sober that I was able to stop viewing each day as a fight against the urge to drink and be grateful for the opportunity to live another sober day.

GG
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you really didn't know then don't reset your date. But let your conscience be your guide.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My two cents, Sleepie: You did not deliberately drink and didn't even notice any effects. That's what counts—and therefore so do those days.

And if your liver has been through anything like mine, I doubt Kombucha is at the top of its list of complaints.

Two weeks is terrific. It's a rough enough ride at first. I had to really work at taking things slow and easy, not let my mind race off on stressful tangents. I'm much better off when I take it slow and easy, keeping my focus on what really matters.

Congrats on those two weeks.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BHF

My sobriety date is no more than that - just a date. Whether or not I've been sober 6 months or 6 weeks doesn't really matter to me as much as how I feel about myself as a person in comparison to how I felt when I was actively drinking. I would not designate a new sobriety date if I drank an alcoholic beverage without knowing.

On a side-note...personally, I don't prescribe to the "stay away from all forms of alcohol" theory (mouthwash, cooking sherry, etc), but there is no way that I would tempt myself by indulging in a non-alcoholic beer. Some may be able to, but for me that's playing with fire.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
31/10/10

sleepie, no need to get worked up about it. Personally, I'd keep my sobriety date in your situation. But, then, that's just me. Only yo can take this decision for yourself. Whatever strengthens your sobriety!

Vee
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Sleepie, I wouldn't reset your sobriety date. There is almost the same amount of alcohol in a glass of orange juice as there is in a N/A beer. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
There is almost the same amount of alcohol in a glass of orange juice as there is in a N/A beer.
...wait, what!?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The human body can naturally produce alcohol from bacteria in the intestines and carbohydrates so I wouldn't be too worried about the amout in orange juice.

Here's a link to myths and facts about alcohol. :DWI/DUI Facts & Fiction: Urban Myths
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.....

This is from our SR Posting Rules....
PHP Code:
 It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums
Posts that suggest useing any alcoholic beverage is not what we are dedicated to.