Notices

It's Quiz Time Once Again!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

It's Quiz Time Once Again!

Answer as honestly as possible. It took me several tries before I lied enough to get them all wrong...

YES or NO
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time of day?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?

If you have answered YES to any one question, it is possible that you may be an alcoholic

If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic

If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic

(These questions were provided by Dr. Robert V. Seliger for use at John Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether a patient is alcoholic.)
Or MY favorite: When you start drinking, do you find it impossible to stop?

There's a pamphlet in the rooms of AA: 44 questions. I couldn't focus on ANYTHING long enough to answer 44 questions. Well, except for my addictions...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think that's a really good list, skg...... thanks! I scored a 10 - no wiggle room there!

When I was drinking, I had all kinds of rationalizations like "yes I spent the morning in bed, but since I work for myself, I wasn't really 'late' for work!" Denial is a powerful thing.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

definitely
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My impression on these questionnaires is that people will answer them truthfully or, most likely more commonly, in denial...

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking? Nope, can tell my colleagues about all my fun times last night!! (Truth: My performance is actually getting worse)

2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy? Nope, makes it better!! (Truth: I can't see the misery I'm causing)

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people? Nope, but people loves me more when I drink!! (I'm an embarrassment but can't see it)

4. Is drinking affecting your reputation? I'm a party animal!! (I'm that drunk guy/gal)

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? Nope, I just can't wait to do it all again!! (Who did I call? What did I do?)

6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking? Nope, and I've always got enough for a night out!! (My children will have to do without that holiday)

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking? The guys at the bar at the best, they really know me!! (The guys at the bar talk to me about the same things, night after night, I'm one of them)

8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare? We've got a roof over our heads, what more do you need!! (We survive)

9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking? Nah, I was telling Tommy last night about it, when I'm drunk I think up all my best ideas!! (I've lost all sense of perspective and have settled)

10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time of day? Only at nights after a hard day, man! (Alarm clock)

11. Do you want a drink the next morning? Nah, I already said, after a hard day!! (Alarm clock)

12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? Nah, I pass out, it's great!! (I actually agree with the other guy here, I sleep fine. I wake up a little worse though)

13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? A couple of minutes late for work now and then, but hell who cares?!?! (I can no longer be trusted)

14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business? Nope, always there on time, every day! (Denial. You aren't on time, you're just there. They won't put up with you forever.)

15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble? Nope, it's fun. All fun. You only live once, live it! (I'm terrified.)

16. Do you drink alone? Nah, I've got my buddies! There's always someone for me to talk to, and alcohol lets me open doors to new friends, there's always someone! (I don't care)

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? I can't remember!!! LOLOL!! (My life for the last fifteen years is a vivid memory)

18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking? Nah, it's my business, besides I'm in great shape. (I lie to them)

19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence? Yeah, you've got to! Can't be talking to a pretty girl/guy sober! (I hate myself, I have to fake it)

20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking? No. (Not yet)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I answered "I used to but not anymore" to most of those questions
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To me the only real question was, "Have you wanted to stop drinking but found yourself unable to do so on your own, despite negative consequences?"

It was when I tried several times to quit for a month, then even just a week, and could only ever last a couple of days, that I knew I had a serious problem and needed help.

GG
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Re:It's Quiz Time Once Again!

Thanks...skg for the quiz.

Yes...I did experience all those temptations mentioned on the quiz, when I was active -of course. I don't experience those impulses anymore -thank God. One thing I do experience, since sobering up, is a sincere desire to inhibit those who still suffer at the hands of this disease -one meeting at a time.

~God bless~