Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

i almost never feel sorry for myself, but this sucks...

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. My mom has it really bad and i've been told it's very genetic.

this is not great news for a guy who is trying to make a living using his hands.

when i use the brace i got, it does help, but i think eventually i might need surgery to fix it.

i know there are FAR worse things, and i need to count my blessings, but man...sigh.....i'm feeling kinda down about it.

it's just one more motherf'ing thing i gotta soldier through. sometimes i get sick of having to fight for every inch i get in this world.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

What can I say (rhetorical question). You pretty much said it all. Psalm 23.
Hopefully, they will develop better voice recognition software, then I won't worry about being a "hunt and peck" typer; I'll just have to edit. You'll handle it well, if you drink you'll have to edit more! In the mean time, maybe find a CTS friendly keyboard you are comfortable with.

P.S. If you haven't already.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well I got you beat. up one on this!!!. Lets have a match!!

I had mascectomy for breast cancer in 2008, then 4 months later discovered colon cancer, went though chemo with a colostomy bag (ughhhh disgusting) had colostomy reconstruction, went to detox for alcohol and meds abuse, (that was in April of 2010) just a few months ago heppitits c was detected in my blood.

ha ha

I feel like a zombie.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you google there are some preventive exercises for Carpel tunnel...someone sent to me a while back..one involve putting your palms together (think prayer) and pushing them towards the groin area.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

That sucks BD. Hope you can get some relief for it!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ouch.....

I know several people who had good results after their surgeries.
Just in case you will need that in the future
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I've had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. I have had it repaired in both hands (not at the same time, rofl) and everything is great today. The scar that is on each palm is not even visible without really 'hunting' for it. I have/had a great orthopedic surgeon. He's also fixed 5 separate tears in my knees over the last 5 years.

As soon as the surgery was done, the improvement was almost instantaneous. I am so glad I had it done!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi bulldog! As a fellow artist I can feel your pain...I am terrified of something happening that would make painting impossible. But...think of Chuck Close...if he can deal so can you. Hugs!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Sorry if I misunderstood, didn't know you are an artist, thought the CTS was from typing. (:o)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is the part where you do have to look at worse case scenarios. I have a friend that FINALLY got accepted for a lung transplant..had the surgery yesterday. Another one that thought he was having some minor problems and went in..found out he has colon cancer so just went thru that fiasco but is out of the hospital now. It is the part were we have to count our blessings. But I will be hoping your carpel tunnel is treatable with no bad after effects...
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that! I know for me that would mean a lot less cross collar chokes, lol. No serioulsy though I know the feeling of if it's not one thing it's another and can be overwhelming.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bulldog there are exercises you can do. All is not lost! And yes of course surgery as well. You just have to take the time to do the exercises. You're going to have a long great life with those hands, just give them all the care they deserve and it can be done.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Bulldog, have a physical therapist show you some stretching excercises for the flexors and extensors in your forearms. I like Chinese excercise balls also. Try to avoid surgery, it's always better to be on a good stretching regime rather than cutting.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
High on Life

Telling someone it could be worse, isn't going to make anyone feel better, at least that strategy wouldn't work for me. Bottom line is no matter how bad things get, it can always be worse.

Now that I got that out of the way, Bulldog I believe you of all people will find the strength to pull through this brother. Just remember all the strength that you mustered to battled this damn disease and get your life back.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you're going through this 'Dog, but the others are right - there's a lot of things that can be done for carpal tunnel....all is not lost here

Best wishes to you, man

D
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel for you- I am a painter too and have arthritis in my hands- it sucks! They thought it was carpal tunnel but it's not. Anyway- good luck with it- and it's ok to be a little down, even if others have it worse. There's always a worse, and that doesn't ever make me feel better, just sadder.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the kind words. i really appreciate all of the encouragement. I know i'll get through this, it just blows chunks that something i love to do so much hurts so bad somedays.

i'm really hoping the exercises and the braces work. the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see major improvement, so it's gonna take some time.

anyway, i'll keep on doing what i always do...just try to do the next right thing and coming here.

thanks again.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The world meets no one halfway. If you want something.. you gotta take it.