Notices

Closing in on Milestone Day 30 and Cautious

Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Closing in on Milestone Day 30 and Cautious

Tomorrow marks my 1st milestone day of 30. It's been a while since I have made it that long. I feel good, have had no noticeable withdrawals (amazing, considering how many years I drank heavily), and no real urges for a couple of weeks. Everything seems to be going extremely well...

That's what is making me a wee bit nervous.

I know from the past experiences, the scales can tip in a moments time. I am under the belief that the past is the past and can only affect us if we allow it. However, our past actions must be taken into account in order to recognize dangers in the present. Last night I had a dream that I was drinking. First dream of that sort in the current sober state. I think it may have been triggered by the upcoming of my most infamous drinking events, St. Paddy's Day.

Of course it was only an excuse to perform unbridled drinking feats, but Paddy's day has always found me beginning to drink around 9 a.m. and continuing throughout the day until I passed out. What a glorious celebration, right? How noble and I'm sure St. Padráig would have been so proud of my illustrious behavior. This year, of course I will not drink, but it is terribly close to that 30 day mark.

I don't really fear I will relapse, but it does put me on yellow alert. I believe this is a healthy approach to continuance of my sobriety...to stay vigilant and recognize past triggers in order to have no compromise in my commitment. To bring the villain out in the light so it can be seen, so to speak.

If we recognize openly our past failures, IMHO, can help us defeat them in the present. Rather than to sweep them under the rug, set them on the table in front of you so you can witness those things you will no longer allow in your life.

So comes my nemesis on Thursday, but I am ready to fortify the gates; ready to add reinforcements at my side. No compromise. I will be prepared.

To be on the safe side, would you mind staying close? Just in case I need a hand.

Pádraic
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...vigilance is the price of freedom
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
So comes my nemesis on Thursday, but I am ready to fortify the gates; ready to add reinforcements at my side. No compromise. I will be prepared.
Excellent!!! We're here for you! Congratulations on your awesome sober time!:ghug3
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

While the past is a good predictor of a person's future behaviour, I also know that people do change. We learn from our mistakes, learn from the wisdom of others and mature as we grow older.

My counsellor described recovery as an upward spiral. We do a bit better each time until we finally get it.

St. Patrick's Day? Just another day on the calendar, another day in a sober life, another chance to do something positive.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on approaching 30 days P.

Join me on Thursday in cranking up some celtic music and drinking some tea (Irish breakfast naturally )

D
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 30 days sober!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Creekryder - I loved your posting!
My first milestone is 7 days.....I'm close, oh so close.
I come here and read when temptations enter my mind.
It really helps to put things into perspective.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

BIG congratulations on 30 days - that is such a major milestone!

Maybe you could start a new tradition on St. Paddy's this year.......have a movie night, or a great meal........ light a special candle for those who are still suffering.....

You'll feel so good getting through this "first" - that's how we build our confidence.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 30 days vigilance going into a tricky situation has helped me...so has kn owing SR was only an internet connection away.

We will arm the battlements with you, and defeat the evil serpent!

Get it...snakes...st. patrick???
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Artsoul...love the idea of lighting a candle for those still suffering...its something I do from time to time at St Patricks cathedral...I will, alas, not go near that hallowed hall on St. Patricks day...you can get drunk breathing the air on 5th avenue then.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

30 days is a great milestone! Only way to move is forward..no looking back! Unless it is to verify how you have made HUGE strides in your new lifestyle! We will all be here for you...any time!!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations on approaching 30 days P.

Join me on Thursday in cranking up some celtic music and drinking some tea (Irish breakfast naturally )

D
I'll be there in spirit with you my friend. Let the bodhráns pound, the Uilleanns cry, and the whistles shriek! We'll dance the jigs and reels and have no need for the craythur.

Pádraic