Notices

Bad weather on the way? Stock up the bar!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad weather on the way? Stock up the bar!

It is miserable weather tonight. Snowy, cold. In fact this has been a pretty bad winter. I was just sitting here thinking about my old self when the weather was bad. As soon as I heard on the news or radio that a winter storm was on the way, my #1 priority was to get to the store to stock up on wine and cigarettes. I needed to be sure I had a few days supply just in case I couldn't make it to the liquor store. That thinking just seems so bizarre to me now....

I stopped smoking and drinking on 1/1/11 and haven't had to worry about that in 2 months. What a great feeling! Anyone else relate?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I passed a liquor store today with its lights on, bars on every window, large building. Started debating how much liquor that place holds. As I drove by it I felt empowered. In my old life, I would have had to stop. Thats not really what scares me though or what went through my head. Its that if I had gone in and bought a bottle of whatever.. it would be the beginning of returning there every few days for.. possibly forever. Then I thought about how much my health would deteriorate. I've started to get in good shape and can sense some of the girls checking me out at work. That would all stop. Working my 10 hour days joyously to get ahead would stop. Every friend I called or texted today would cease to be relevant to my life. They are good people. So we would still be friends. But the damage of barely talking to them except for drunk texts and calls for months or years would be there.

It sounds like BS but all that stuff I just typed really did go through my head as I looked at the white bars across the windows of that store.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One time I walked to the liquor store (about half a mile or so) to get a case of beer in a blizzard. I lugged that home and about died. Frozen to death..arms bruised and sore. I was on a mission. I can relate. Glad it is all behind me now.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmh364 View Post
It is miserable weather tonight. Snowy, cold. In fact this has been a pretty bad winter. I was just sitting here thinking about my old self when the weather was bad. As soon as I heard on the news or radio that a winter storm was on the way, my #1 priority was to get to the store to stock up on wine and cigarettes. I needed to be sure I had a few days supply just in case I couldn't make it to the liquor store. That thinking just seems so bizarre to me now....

I stopped smoking and drinking on 1/1/11 and haven't had to worry about that in 2 months. What a great feeling! Anyone else relate?
I used to stock up on beer when the weather would get bad. Come hell or high water I would have enough beer to weather the storm in a mellow buzz. It does feel nice to be away from all of that now. We had a big snow storm in Chicago this year and it felt so nice to not need all that beer to keep me company.

Plus, when you truly are snowed in and there isn't any liquor or beer in the house, you get a couple of easy days with no temptation. As long as you don't have a neighbor that is offering you some of their stash...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I stocked up for the big blizzard. I was more concerned about running out of beer than if we had food, gas, etc.

Big monkey off my back, not drinking. Glad I don't have to worry about whether or not I have to stop at the liquor store on the way home now.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
Yes. I passed a liquor store today with its lights on, bars on every window, large building. Started debating how much liquor that place holds. As I drove by it I felt empowered. In my old life, I would have had to stop. Thats not really what scares me though or what went through my head. Its that if I had gone in and bought a bottle of whatever.. it would be the beginning of returning there every few days for.. possibly forever. Then I thought about how much my health would deteriorate. I've started to get in good shape and can sense some of the girls checking me out at work. That would all stop. Working my 10 hour days joyously to get ahead would stop. Every friend I called or texted today would cease to be relevant to my life. They are good people. So we would still be friends. But the damage of barely talking to them except for drunk texts and calls for months or years would be there.

It sounds like BS but all that stuff I just typed really did go through my head as I looked at the white bars across the windows of that store.
This post reminded me of the quote, "a beer sure sounds nice with dinner tonight, and then, I remember I have plans for Christmas this year."

It is something to that effect. I have heard that R Downy Jr said it. But I don't know for sure if that is true.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. I'd make sure we...no, I had plenty of bourbon on hand if a storm was coming.

And just today I was thinking about how every couple of nights I'd have to leave work early to make sure and get to the liquor store before it closes. So glad to have that monkey off my back.