Notices

OT: Got Laid Off Today

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Got Laid Off Today

I had been putting my resume out anyway because our office had funding issues but I didn't expect to be gone so soon.

I'm depressed as h*ll right now. Home alone.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that. Did / do you get severance and unemployment at least to tide you over for a while?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear that It's tough out there these days. I hope you find the strength to stay on the right path through this difficult period. Do you have support of any kind?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I've been laid off for over two years now. Can you apply for unemployment benefits?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, man, I'm sorry.

Our office has given layoff notices to a quarter of the staff. I'm OLD (and retiring near the end of the year) but I SO feel for the people who got the notices. We're still hopeful of avoiding it--negotiations continuing.

At least you have been updating your resume and getting your head in a place where you were thinking about a change.

Make sure you get ALL the benefits you can, and whatever you do, don't drink over it.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
I had been putting my resume out anyway because our office had funding issues but I didn't expect to be gone so soon.

The company I work for is having funding issues too. I could be gone any day. But, more important than my job I have to keep working the program that works for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. I've been sitting here staring at the wall this morning. It's the third layoff in a row I've had to deal with. The job market here is terrible. I'm not the kind of person that can be unemployed for long...nor can afford it.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Seems to be a trend showing up here. I too awoke this morning feeling terribly depressed because of financial situations. My place of employment is suffering funding issues as well. They have been sporadic in meeting payroll and have cut hours to 20 a week, but unable to pay us for that. For the first time in my life I am at risk of losing my home. Everything seems to be piling up and testing my sobriety. Seeing so many others in this same situation is discouraging as well. I will leave out political views here, but so much of the middle class seems to be suffering this same fate. It is a struggle to stay positive in situations as this, but I keep reminding myself that I need a solution, but alcohol is not on that list. I'm sure things will eventually work themselves out, maybe not entirely to our desires, but enough to bring us a bit of inner peace. I wish you the best, GG3.

Padraic
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Isn't it interesting that there seems to be a lot of layoffs but I just saw on abcnews how we added more jobs last month....
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't it interesting that there seems to be a lot of layoffs but I just saw on abcnews how we added more jobs last month....
Sorry to hear about your getting laid off, know the feeling though it was a long time ago. Pretty crazy over here, they've been sending people home for an extended period of time, while they're hiring people off the street!

The big kahuna-Principal Program Manager-was at our camp meeting tonight, he practically begged people to stay. Please don't leave until the end were his exact words.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think a lot depends on what part of the country you're in, and what industry you work in.

I work in the legal field, and for a government entity. Even though some of private industry is starting to hire, it seems like government is feeling the pinch later. Also, the legal job market right now is DISMAL. The people just out of law school (and any lawyers who have lost their jobs) are not facing good prospects anytime soon.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To answer some of the questions...I was really out of it last night and didn't even see these...I did get a 2 week severance. I have a *little money in the bank but I won't be able to make it for too long. Not more than a couple of months and obviously I will be eating very frugally and staying in the house almost everyday. I have no siblings and my parents (who don't have a lot of money anyway) won't help me. My family was a bit dysfunctional to say the least. The only support I have at is the laughter of a few close friends here and my aunt and her husband offered to fly over and drive a truck for me if I have to move. -Which I really appreciate because I wondered how in the world I was going to do that.

I was so out of it last night I heated up the oven, got out a frozen pizza and had it on the pan...when the oven heated, set the timer and carried on. About 15 minutes later walked in to see I didn't even put the pizza in the oven. Funny but not.

As for drinking...I haven't really had any urges like that so far. I think my response to this type of stress is total depression...and i don't need booze for that, LOL.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Can you file for unemployment? If so, do that right away. It's always possible you will be called back or find other work before the checks actually start coming, but it's best to get the paperwork completed as soon as possible.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This stupid economy! I'm so sorry. I haven't been through a layoff myself, but my SO has been, and it just plain sucks. I guess the good news is that you've already got the resume put together. Keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I recently lost my job of 6 years. I am currently working, but the position will become part-time at the end if the month. I can not survive on part-time. I am thinking positive and relying on hope and faith. I see no point in making myself suffer and worry. Although, very hard not to. I push it to the back of my mind and hang on to hope. What will be, will be. I have found that things usually work out in the end. I have gotten through tough times before, if need be, will do it again, and will do it sober. Good luck and stay strong!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear. Getting laid off can feel supremely helpless and frustrating, regardless of whether or not you even cared for the job to begin with. I went thru it years ago and it actually led me to a much, much better opportunity... But even that didn't change the initial sting. Take it easy and treat yourself well.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

keep hunting

Sorry to hear about your job loss, but HANG IN THERE.

If you got laid off you should be elidgible for unemployment. But don't sit on unemployment. I know people who have done that and they literally can take themselves out of the job market especially if they don't have a monster resume. I've been in or observed tight job markets several times over the decades, hopefully some pointers.

1) Make sure you know what kind of job you are applying for-is it a career position or just A job.

2) Do you want a career position or A job.

3) Tailor your resume and always submit a tailored cover letter.

4) If it's really bad where your at or in your field you might consider A job in another field or a lower paying job.

5) I've seen age and not working discrimination:many HRs want someone who has shown a history of always working no matter what(this can mess up a career though because they almost get insulted when you are not doing anything to stay in your field)

6)If your are offered any retraining/schooling money USE IT even it's only enough for a course or two. As long as it's an accredited or known school don't fluff it off(the problem one is like Sheen, he thinks he's special and miffed at the unemployment office because they wouldn't pay for a course at the school of HIS choice, it was offered elsewhere)

7)And once working again don't be afraid to keep looking, unfortunetly job hunting and strategy has to be practiced year round. In this type of economy the trick is just to get in the door and take if from there.

Hang in there, GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think what really hurt in all of this, is I felt like a lepper on Monday. My "friends" who I knew so well at work...seemed distant. We all have IM accounts as a company policy. I hopped on to say hi but seemed distant. They laid of multiple people and it was due to funding issues and yet I felt like I did something wrong.

Maybe it's just harder on me because I don't really have a family and work buddies are my family. I cried a lot today.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

We have a lot of people upset around my office, too. My guess is that your co-workers don't know what to say. It's kinda like people who don't know what to say when someone is grieving. I'm sure they are very sorry it's you, but very glad it wasn't them.

Hugs, it's tough, but you will come through it OK. You're a tough cookie.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can get incredibly unhappy over things that get said at work. I am seeing that attitude is everything. Many times I have started to grumble in my head, only to snap myself out of negative thoughts. I've been unemployed many times and laid off before. I see it the same way there. Life is pretty hard. I work hard on the things I can control and the rest I leave in my higher power's hands. I can control my attitude. I can control choices to get outside and exercise on a bike or lift weights or stretch or walk. I can control how often I call friends and family and if my words are helpful and kind to them. I can control how much effort I put in at work or looking for work.