Notices

New to Alcoholism, and to the forums!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Alcoholism, and to the forums!

Hey guys, I've got a couple questions, and a little background and diagnosis information for you all so you could make the best educated replys based on my situation.

I'm 24 years old, I have Glaucoma, and congenial (spelling?) Cataracts in my eyes. I was very overweight as a child, supposibly from steroids in my eye drops, but I did eat alot for comfort, being as I was blind most of my childhood untill 7. Since 18 years of age, I have been moderatly fit. I got a job at UPS at 18, went from 260lbs (being 5'6) down to 172lb's (right now). I jog 5 times a week on a strict schedule, I can also do a mile in 9:10 being the best time.

I've smoked weed and cigarettes 4 years now, only to quit once cold turkey 2 years ago for reasons beyond my own control (no money, job, or place to live) only 6 months later to pick it back up when I was comfortable and financially stable. However; recently as of a precisely 1 year and 4 months ago I've been drinking 4 beers a night, EVERY night. I got a cooking job at an upscale bar last spring, and at that point I was drinking almost 8 beers 3 nights a week instead of 4. I cannot handle hard liquor, it makes me spin, and eventually empty my entire stomach for hours upon only having 2 - 3 shots ontop of the beer.

Recently, as 10 days ago, I descided it was time to cut out alcohol, for alot of reasons. I already smoke weed, I already smoke cigarettes, and my weight training is suffering, my muscles aren't tight anymore, they're getting stringy? so to speak... lol.

Day 6, I relapsed, had 2 beers ( a 24oz bottle ) of becks, and now i'm on day 10 and I'm about to pull out my hair for a beer, It's almost emotional, I want to cry about it.

Any advice?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I like AA, have you considered it? It helped me, early on, to be around other people trying to do the same thing I was.

This forum is good for support, but there's nothing like being in the company of others. AA is WAY more than the meetings, of course, but having the routine of a daily meeting, reading the Big Book and other recovery literature helped keep me focused and helped with the cravings.

You might also try eating something. Now is not the time to worry too much about the weight.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PDXcruiser

Welcome to SR

I think support is vital - I don't think anyone does this alone.

For some, being a part and a regular contributor to communities like SR enough..,others find they need some face to face support....

have you considered AA or some other recovery group? or counselling?

D
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

Welcome!!

I believe it isnt about the quantities you drank. The more important things to look at are:

- when you said you werent gonna do it anymore and really meant it, did you do it?

- were you able to control the amount you drank when you drank?

- when you put the drink down are you restless, irritable, discontent, full of fear/anxiety, depressed etc etc etc?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome

As you know...beer is alcohol too..and all types of alcohol due
equal damage to your mind and body. That's true for all drinkers
not only alcoholics.

You have youth on your side...and that can be a big plus if
you want to move into a healthier sober future..
I certainly hope you will

Last edited by CarolD; 03-02-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome PDX!

If you're struggling, I also suggest some sort of face to face support along with this forum. Will power alone doesn't work for many of us...and alcoholism is progressive, so if you're having problems with drinking at 24, your problems at 34 or 44 or 54 will become exponentially worse. So 'grats on facing this now! And 'grats on the exercising too, I think that's really important.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Welcome......

Those are not fun times - I remember them. What worked for me was AA. Nothing else worked. I didn't have the ability to think about the consequences every time, couldn't keep myself from that first drink reliably, working out and eating healthy didn't have any impact at all on my desire for another drink.... nothing worked and I kept picking back up.

God worked though. He works EVERY SINGLE TIME. AA keeps me on the right path and in touch with the Power that's making my life possible.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on acknowledging and trying to change things in your life for the better! There's a lot of love, support and advice in AA and there's a lot of love, support and advice here in the forums too. Tackling drinking issues is not something you can do on your own so I hope keep up the good work of talking it through with people. Also, if part of your concern is that you're not sure you're an alcoholic and would like some help deciding, going to a few AA meetings can help you figure that out.
As a side note, I was a beer-drinking alcoholic too...light beer in fact. What some heavy drinkers called "water", I was heavily addicted to...so it doesn't matter what the potency or what type of alcohol you choose, just your relationship to it.

Best wishes,
April