Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

can anyone differentiate between 6months and 1 year for me

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That's a big word, i had to use google to figure out how to spell. Amazing word. lol

Tell me the difference between 6 months and a year of your sobriety if any. Like how you physically felt.

I'm at 6 months now.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

At 6 months I was just beginning to trust what I felt was 'normal', and quietly hopeful that it could 'last'...

by a year, I knew it could...I was more comfortable with myself and happy with my life

D
Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I didn't feel that different physically.

I guess the best way to describe the difference was that I felt more "solid"--more like I was "there", if that makes any sense.

I keep feeling better emotionally and mentally all the time--and I'm at two and a half years, now.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am at the exact midway point- 9 months.

I generally feel stronger, more capable of handling stresses and just all round happier than at 6 months.

Keep going!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Around six months I noticed I no longer had the desire or obsession to drink and was feeling better, but still felt new at it. At one year, as Dee said, I began to believe that I had it nailed and was happy with my new sober life.

Good for you on six months. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We all got drunk at our own pace and we will recover at our own pace. There is no way to compare time from others. Actually that is a little dangerous. You are exactly where you need to be. Just sayin...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im at almost 3 months and feel alot better about myself and starting to feel relaxed in my own skin but do at times daydream about how it would feel to be drunk. Sometimes try to trick myself that maybe drinking at special occasions would be ok and to only have a few but have put too much hard work and lonely dark days in to jeopardize it all and if im still thinking like that then it means im probably not cured yet. I agree with stugotz....some people put themselves through more pain than others with alcohol and the obsession to drink varies from person to person. 6 months is good going..i applaud you
Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm at 7+ months now.

When I was at 1 month I thought..."wow, I feel pretty damn good". At 3 months I thought "wow, I thought I felt better at 1 month but NOW I really feel amazing!"...at 6 months I thought "wow, I thought I felt better at 3 months but NOW I really feel super amazing!!!"

I pretty much expect to think at 1 year "wow, I thought I felt better at 6 months but NOW i really, really feel super duper fantastic amazing!"...lol
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tooling, you're asking for physical differences, and I don't think I see a lot of difference between 6 months and 1 year. (I am past a year.) Maybe that will change later on.

Emotionally (which isn't too far outside the physical), I think I was probably better at 6 months than now, but there are some circumstances that have to do with it. The winter and its limitations probably adds to it as well. When I flip it around, maybe I see my 6 months as better because of the summer, when I was more active. I don't know for sure at this point.

The important thing is probably to make sure there is a good balance in all things, how you eat, your physical activity, the things you digest mentally (whether it's books, SR, AA, people, what-have-you) and to keep going with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me there isn't a difference between 6 months and 16 years. You're only 1 drink away from day #1.

One drink is too many & 1,000 not enough.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well for me at 6 months I still felt like I was "missing out" on life by not drinking and partying anymore. Now with over a year I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I know what I want in life and work everyday to achieve those goal. I'm proud of the person that I have/am become, thats how I feel at a year compared to the 6 month mark.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Tooling...Welcome

I guess you have to wait 6 more months to find out...Won't you.
It's great to hear your alive and well with 6 months clean to boot.
It does get better, over time, and worth the journey every step of
the way. Keep plugging along...stay close to the rooms of AA...and
never give up. Keep this forum close and your sober network closer,
Always remembering to "work it" because "You're worth it".

“Keep Coming Back, It Works If You Work It.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always did enjoy coming around here and feeling like I 'fit in' when the word 'alcohol' is mentioned.

I will make it to 1 year that's for sure!

many Thanks