Notices

Weight changes after quitting...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Taking weekly picture of yourself to obsess about your body is unhealthy and most definitely indicative of an ED.
Definitely? I'd say that would be your OPINION.. When I was weight traning (and I am now again), I'd take pictures of my body every other week to see what is working and what is not working gym/diet wise.. It's very common to do this.. Another reason for some is vanity, which IMO would be more common than an ED..

In fact.. Heres a guy I know that took a picture of his body EVERYDAY.. He's far from unhealthy.. In fact, he's inspirational to thousands of people..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQgOxBBTleo

About the OP's post.. Try not to watch the scale too much.. If your looking to get more leaner, watch your BF % or measurements..

I've been eating perfect and working out an hour a day since the 30th.. and I've gained 2 lbs in the process, but lost 2 inches in my waist...

Just sayin...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

While I am sure anyone's comments were well meaning, I can sympathize with the original poster's frustration at being accused of having an eating disorder.
I DID struggle with anorexia in my early teens. I would go large amounts of time without eating and no matter how skinny I was, what the scale said, what size I wore, I still looked fat to me.
I learned to eat normally, eventually got over my poor self image and haven't had many issues since. I'm 35 now.
I wear a size 4. I am 5'8 and a normal weight according to my doctor. I get accused of being "anorexic" occasionally, by those who have no idea of my history. It is usually by overweight people who are basing it on the fact that I am small. I actually had a friend who is a size 20 tell me she is closer to normal than I am because "normal" is a size 12. I didn't bother to correct her that size 12 is not "normal", its average. There are more obese people in the US than any other country. "Average" doesn't necessarily mean "normal".
My build is small to begin with despite my height and again, every doctor I have been to considers me a normal weight.
I still watch my weight. I eat healthy, exercise and when I start going overboard on the junk food, I cut it out for awhile.
My reason for this is that much of my family is obese. My dad, who never drank a day in his life, died of heart problems caused by obesity at age 50. I'd be careless if I didn't worry about my weight.
Many people who are into fitness as a hobby mirror watch, take measurements and keep close track of their weight/body mass. That does not mean they have an ED. I think fitness is a lot better hobby/habit than alcohol.
For myself, the difference between my weight watching and anorexia:
I'm doing it for my health
I don't starve myself
I no longer feel guilty when I eat, I'm just aware of WHAT I eat and if its a healthy amount as opposed to excessive
I don't look in the mirror and imagine I'm fat

I don't like feeling or looking bloated either. To respond to the original post,I've read somewhere that stopping drinking can cause you to become constipated. That can definitely cause bloating. Maybe that is a possible cause?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I actually gained about 4 lbs. a week AFTER drinking under doctor supervision, and he said this was good. I did the math in my head and told him that if this was "good", at this rate I'll gain 208lbs in a year. He said not to worry, my body will stabilize itself in a few weeks. It did.

Zube
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I guess I didn't mean EATING disorder necessarily but IMO it's unhealthy. We all know the analogy about opinions though. How everyone has one Doesn't make it true or even valuable!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Me too

OMG. YES! Thank you for posting this. I've been noticing this too (at 32 days) Bloated and gassy. My personal theory was that my body didn't know how to handle actual good nutrition after years of abuse. Since I keep a log of foods eaten (dr. ordered for allergies, people, not ED) I've got a pretty good idea of how much I'm eating and that weight gain makes no sense. I think my systems still a little stunned.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
where the light is

I lost most of my gut after quitting drinking. Too much salt still causes me to bloat.

I think removing alcohol will create only good changes. For example, alcohol inhibits the benefits from exercise by some big percentage (can't remember exactly). And believe me...you will look healthier and younger. never fails!

Shoot for a healthy exercise and diet regime (I do what I can but far from perfect ). Keep in mind that your body needs more "good" calories than normal when working out.

I weigh myself every second day or so, for motivation, not an ED. I'm guessing your picture taking is more to check progress and for motivation.

Best wishes!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

+1 to gravity..

From what I've learned through trial and error is unless there is a complete lifestyle change, kicking alcohol is gonna be extremely difficult..

Honestly, in the past 10 days I've felt better than I have in 5 years.. Due to meetings, my sponsor, nutrition and exercise... My diet is VERY clean, and the only thing I've been craving is a cheeseburger (craving replacement maybe?)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm a vegetarian, eat well, and work out every day and I gained about 10 pounds after quitting. I think it's because I'm so aware of HALT -- I can't always control if I'm angry, lonely, or tired -- but feeling hungry is easy to fix!

GG
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I also felt bloated (& was constipated & gassy) after I quit drinking. I was very disappointed because I was consuming approximately 2,880 calories a day with my beer ALONE~~ & I was drinking Miller Lite because it only 96 calories & fewer carbs & used to tell people it was because I was watching my weight... ha! So I fully expected to immediately get really skinny<~~ & this is where I'll confess to an ED in my teen years.

When I instead felt LARGER & FATTER I was not exactly happy~~ but then I realized despite how I felt my clothes were getting looser on me during the 5 weeks I was in Rehab.

Afterwards, once I got home & had more options about what to eat & not & how to prepare it & discovered Topo Chico (fantastic mineral water)... the weight just fell off me. I dropped 50 lbs in 5 months & another 10 or so since. I went from a size 12 to a size 4, sometimes a 3. I'm getting the 'you're too skinny!' thing now & being urged to see a doctor, accused of having replaced booze with cocaine or speed, what have you. But turns out there's a healthy THIN person inside the chubby alcoholic I walked around as for years.

So I'll echo what the majority have told you iliketofu... your body has to adjust to the lack of alcohol & the feeling of being bloated is apparently normal. And then it gets adjusted & will go back to what the newer healthier You decides is normal. Congrats on those two weeks too!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry if I offer this is metric but I have lost 4gs in 3 weeks. This makes me 74kgs and 5foot 11 (male). I drink a lot of coke zero and sugarless coffee. I don't eat in the day and only have a small meal at night. I walk every morning and do some weights and push ups.

I'm clearly starving myself in that I don't consume nearly 1000 calories a day. The red skin vein things still are around but I am only 3 weeks in. When is this likely to improve ? My eyes are clear.

I looked into it and I am starving myself. I'm only just at my ideal weight but dropping now below it. People have started to note my usually puffy face is slimmer. I know my belt is tighter. Im enjoying the comments but I know I'll need to make changes soon to eat healthier.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was actually diagnosed with anorexia while still drinking, between drinking instead of eating, husband being gone at night so I didn't want to eat alone, and not wanting to go down during the work day because Grandma in law wont leave me alone, I lost 90 lbs in just over three years. I'm still struggling to stay away from booze but Dr gave me a medicine to help my appetite and it works! I've gained 10 lbs or so and maybe want 5 more (I was over weight before all this started) btw they call it anorexia but the nurse said any un-diagnosed ED can be referred to as that. I've never stood in the mirror and examined every inch and called myself fat but I have done damage with lost muscle mass and neuropothy so I hope you can keep up your normal eating and it helps you exercise too. My hubs is having a job change next month so we will be able to eat together again and take walks. I think it'll help a lot. Best of luck to you!!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I believe any bloating you are feeling is due to putting actual food in your body. At first your body will want to savor every calorie and store it for safe keeping since it has been trained that a good fuel source is scarce.
My suggestion would be to lay off of any hard core workout, including running. Maybe just some walking for now and lots and lots of fruits, veggies, water, and PROTEIN (which will satiate you better and act like a diuretic to help push all that water through your body and continue to cleanse it of toxins). After many weeks of nourishing your previously damaged body from alcohol, slowly get back into a good workout routine.
My idea is that by nourishing your body first, it will respond better to releasing fat and any muscle sculpting. Having a drinking problem puts stress on the body; dieting and exercising also put stress on the body. You need to heal first.

Also, taking pictures is a great way to see changes. Sometimes when working out our bodies do more recomposition than losing weight; taking pictures can help show that. AND.... muscle does not weigh more than fat. That's a misunderstanding. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. BUT, fat does take up waaaaay more room than muscle. PLUS, muscle burns more fat. Oh, and one last thing, when building muscle, they will retain water and lactic acid. These will cause some gains for you... but only about 2 to maybe 4 pounds. The water helps the muscle heal a d the acid can be reduced with proper recovery (I.e. rest and nutrition)

Good luck!!!